Getting Started

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
philoparts

Getting Started

by philoparts » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:21 am

Just like to say hey as I browse around here, just getting started in mountaineering and this seems to be a great place for information. Up until a few months ago, I was a pack a day smoker for 18 years. I put it all into perspective this summer before going rafting for the first time......There's a lot of stuff I want to be able to do during my lifetime instead of just wishing I could. The biggest one is climbing Mt. Adams. My family hails from the Trout Lake and Glenwood areas, so I've spent a fair portion of my life around Adams. I've had several family members climb it, and I've always said, "man, I'd love to do that". As a smoker though, it was not possible. Up to 2002, the highest hike I'd done was Hager Mountain in Central Oregon at 7178', and the older I got and more I smoked.....the harder it was to deal with hiking and elevation.

So, since quitting I've been to the top of Mt. Scott and the 7800' mark of South Sister. My goal is to summit South Sister, Adams, and Hood next summer, so I'll probably be asking some questions of the more experienced here. I've also started a blog on my experiences that some may find interesting as I share adventures.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:57 am

Hey man, welcome. Congratulations on your resolve. Guarantee ya switching your addiction from smoking to hiking and climbing is gonna be good for you. So keep getting out there and think about contributing a page to SP about your endeavors sometime.

Cheers,

Augie

albanberg

by albanberg » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:59 am

Go philoparts!

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:06 am

Bravo! Congratulations!

calebEOC

by calebEOC » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:36 am

Good luck man, I got my start using summitpost while living over in that neck of the woods about 5 years ago. There are lots of great peaks here in the NW, have a blast.

philoparts

by philoparts » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:28 am

Thanks everyone. Yeah, switching my addiction from smoking to mountains is quite the change. I mean, going from a pack a day to climbing Mt. Scott in a month? What really pumped me up about that was seeing the other people ascending who were much younger and non smokers having a hard time making it because they looked at it as just another "hill", not with the desire and goal in mind of summiting a mountain and having something to prove to themselves :wink:

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)