Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

getting the nasty out of climbing shoes

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

getting the nasty out of climbing shoes

Postby erykmynn » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi!

I picked up a cheap-ass pair of used climbing shoes as a 'gift' for a buddy who "just might try some bouldering to see if he likes it"

Anyways they smell AWFUL. Any tips for killing the funk and ridding the nastiness without ruining the shoe? His feet are pretty smelly too, so I don't need 100% effectiveness :lol:
erykmynn

Postby erykmynn » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:50 pm

MikeTX wrote:which ones did you get?
some sort of evolv's $5 at REI garage sale. I have some spare shoes, but this dude wears a 12 1/2 so a good fine, rankness aside.
erykmynn

Postby rpc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:05 pm

evolv's just get much nastier than any other brand rock shoe imho. sorry, but burn them.
rpc

Postby erykmynn » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:12 pm

rpc wrote:evolv's just get much nastier than any other brand rock shoe imho. sorry, but burn them.
weird
erykmynn

Postby JHH60 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:20 pm

erykmynn wrote:
rpc wrote:evolv's just get much nastier than any other brand rock shoe imho. sorry, but burn them.
weird

Is it an all-synthetic shoe? Those seem to get nasty faster than leather shoes. On the other hand if they're synthetic you can probably hand wash them without any problems. One thing you might try on them is Mirazyme. I once had to move a dead and rotting seal off a beach and the smell that got on my neoprene gloves and drysuit was unbelievably bad. Mirazyme got rid of it.
JHH60

Postby woodsxc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:03 pm

Lysol aerosols kill funk in wrestling shoes. At least it worked for a bunch of my teammates. I've always been a fan of the leave-the-nasties-out-in-the-sun-for-a-day-or-two strategy.
woodsxc

Postby Gattsu » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:59 pm

Putting them in a plastic bag and in a freezer might help... Should at least kill some of the smell..
Gattsu

Postby norco17 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:05 pm

Boil them and make soup. :D
norco17

Postby erykmynn » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:57 pm

JHH60 wrote:
erykmynn wrote:
weird

Is it an all-synthetic shoe? Those seem to get nasty faster than leather shoes. On the other hand if they're synthetic you can probably hand wash them without any problems. One thing you might try on them is Mirazyme. I once had to move a dead and rotting seal off a beach and the smell that got on my neoprene gloves and drysuit was unbelievably bad. Mirazyme got rid of it.
It's a leather shoe. Mirazyme is pretty great, but everyone's always out of stock. Anyone know a reliable Bay Area vendor.

I like the Freezer idea. should be a good first step, since it's non chemical.
erykmynn

Postby mfox79 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:06 pm

The Freezer trick works well untill they thaw out then the funk will return, a trick that will work is Rubbing alchol with an herbal extract ie lavender or simmilar, just dont use Rosemerry extract as it will just hilight the funk and take it to a whole new level of funk
mfox79

Postby rpc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:29 pm

I hate to say it but I don't think anything (again, short of a bon-fire) will work. I'm basing this on about 4 or 5 pairs that are in retirement & making my garage smell like a morgue. I tried to mitigate the situtation from the beginning with some of the pairs by stuffing various moisture absorbing media into them right after use (no it's not personal hygiene either...other makes I wear were not [as] nasty), air drying them etc.. etc... - hopeless. Finally gave up on them & went with mad rocks.
rpc

Postby hoser23 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:39 pm

I have a pair of Mad Rock Phoenix that are by far the the worst smelling shoes I have ever owned. I leave them outside between use but it does no good.
hoser23

Next

Return to Gear