Gonna be in Wyoming

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
woodsxc

Gonna be in Wyoming

by woodsxc » Tue May 11, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm going to be in Jackson for a few days starting the 23rd of May. Almost all of my snow climbing gear is packed away (very sad) so I'm wondering what some favorite trail runs or walk-ups/easy scrambles would be open the last week of may. Thanks guys.

Also, if anybody would like a partner for a day hike (again, none of my snow gear is with me), PM me.

builttospill

by builttospill » Tue May 11, 2010 3:42 pm

I haven't been up there this year and have not been watching the weather, but in my limited experience in early summer up there, you might be lucky to get far off the valley floor before hitting snow.

That said, based on the webcams I just looked at it, it already looks drier there than in early June two or three years ago, so you might get lucky and have some good stuff to do. Here are the webcams, there are probably some better ones, but this is a start:

http://www.jacksonholenet.com/webcams/

Would be worth checking with the Jenny Lake Ranger Station, though I don't think they open until May 15.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue May 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Try Hermitage Point up at Colter Bay. You can also do a loop around Jenny Lake. But for the most part, you're too early to get very high in Grand Teton NP.

You probably can access the Red Hills off the Gros Ventre Road east of Kelly: http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/330097/Red-Hills.html.

If you head southeast of Hoback Junction and go up Granite Creek into the Gros Ventres, you'll find the Highline Trail climbs quickly and has nice views. The scenery's quite different from that in the Tetons, and the snow usually melts out earlier there, so you might be okay in good hiking boots.

Deer Ridge is another early-season option there: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/534330/Deer-Ridge.html

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Tue May 11, 2010 11:35 pm

Blacktail Butte was Bare on its East side a seek ago. They aren't getting hammered over there like we are in the Dunoir here. Buddy drove over from JHOLE Sunday and we hiked Lake Louise Sunday and hardly ever touched snow.

You are picking a great time to go up Granite Creek. I would guess you could top out on the Granite Hi-Line Trail like I did in May 2005. With Creek flows down later in the year you might want to do Granite Falls Hotsprings now if you can get across the creek since they might be too darn hot later on.

Hermitage Point is an aweosme suggestion. About as good a wildlife hike as there is if you know where to go. Was snowed in a week ago but even with this stuff the Point should be fine.

You might get up Huckleberry MT. This year. Cream Puff Peak. "Around the Block." Bearpaw & Trappers Lakes.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Wed May 12, 2010 2:10 am

Thanks guys! Deer Ridge and the rest of the Granite Creek area of the Gros Ventre looks awesome! Storm King is looking like a strong candidate for some afternoon runs. Is Antoinette gonna be socked in? It sounds like a ton of fun.

Arbor Mountain is near Cream Puff. Is there a trail up it or at least a parking area? Also, where could I rent an ice axe?

Any Jackson-area SPer's want to go for a scramble, climb (on your rope and pro of course :wink: ) or hike? I can't buy you a beer, but I'll try to repay the effort of showing an outsider around.

aglane

by aglane » Wed May 12, 2010 4:04 am

With luck the trade routes to Amphitheatre Lake, to the Meadows, and up Cascade Canyon at least to the forks may well be boot-packed sufficiently to get by without gear.

Or rent an axe and go to it, as far beyond the Meadows as your boots allow. And Hanging Canyon is always satisfying.

builttospill

by builttospill » Thu May 13, 2010 7:13 pm

Hanging Canyon is a nice place. Lake of the Crags is beautiful.

Bearpaw Lake is a good option when there is still too much snow up high. It is basically valley-bottom, but still a nice, quiet hike.

You can rent an ice axe at whatever the climbing shop by Dornan's is. Just before you pay to enter the park from the south (from Jackson Hole), there is a parking lot on the right with a gas station, market and two restaurants. There is a climbing shop there.

Might also be able to rent from Teton Mountaineering in town, but I'm not certain.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Thu May 13, 2010 8:40 pm

Called Teton Mtneering this morning, I will be renting from them.

Lake of the Crags has been officially added to the list. Looks wicked cool.

jharrwyo

by jharrwyo » Fri May 14, 2010 5:10 am

Hey and dont forget you can now carry a firearm in Yellowstone and Teton if you want. Little heavy on the weight but it is your right after all. Enjoy your time in this amazing place.

Doublecabin

Lake Of The crags & Hanging Canyon

by Doublecabin » Fri May 14, 2010 6:41 am

Well I was obviously trying to steer you away from snow and Avalanche danger. I took this shot of Hanging Canyon and Symetry on Sunday May 2, 2010. My Avatar is Lake of the Crags. I've been there almost two dozen times now.We got blasted to normal "snow-waterequivalent" with the last storm here just East of Togwotee but the Tetons have not fared nearly as well and historicaly areas west of the Divide do not enjoy the Spring moisture we do here.

http://www.summitpost.org/image/621387/ ... -2010.html

Eastern Winds got up to 40". It is mud season here in the Dunoir Valley. Have a wodnerful trip man and thank you for spending your vacation dollars here!

woodsxc

Re: Lake Of The crags & Hanging Canyon

by woodsxc » Fri May 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Doublecabin wrote:Well I was obviously trying to steer you away from snow and Avalanche danger. I took this shot of Hanging Canyon and Symetry on Sunday May 2, 2010. My Avatar is Lake of the Crags. I've been there almost two dozen times now.We got blasted to normal "snow-waterequivalent" with the last storm here just East of Togwotee but the Tetons have not fared nearly as well and historicaly areas west of the Divide do not enjoy the Spring moisture we do here.

http://www.summitpost.org/image/621387/ ... -2010.html

Eastern Winds got up to 40". It is mud season here in the Dunoir Valley. Have a wodnerful trip man and thank you for spending your vacation dollars here!

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to do as much as I safely can, I've done enough snow climbing out east to know my limits and will bail on any peak as soon as I'm not sure that I can continue safely.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Wed May 19, 2010 5:06 am

Drove the West side of the Snake again today. Some melt out last 3 days I was taking advantage of the weather for work. The Ribbon Cascade is HUMMIN! Was huge from Jenny Lake One Way Road Overlook. I'd be super careful, there's gonna be serious water running under much of the pack in the tight canyon when it warms back up. Way ahead of "schedule" this year.

Really good lightning storm, blew a tree up not 200 yards off the highway just East of Moran. Snowing going over Togwotee. We are normal snowpack here, still well below normal on West side of the Divide and in the Tetons and will likely end the season that way. Although, you never know!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)