GoPro Helmet Camera

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
drpw

Re: GoPro Helmet Camera

by drpw » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:18 pm

i've played with them and the contour cameras. i really like the contour cameras a lot better, they're sleaker and lower profile as wella s having better lenses on them. they just announced a new one called the roam for $200, and it has an unbelievably good piece of glass on the front of it.

estunum

by estunum » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:41 am

sjarelkwint wrote:and how do they handle hard conditions? snowstorm, wind, altitude, rain, ...

It's very rugged, and even though I never put it through exactly those conditions, I am confident that it will handle it with flying colors. It really depends on what you're gonna use it for. It's an excellent camera but I came to realize it's specific to certain activities. I'll give you myself as an example. I got it for the purpose of canyoneering, and I didn't like it. Here's why...

The fish eye - Not really a big deal as it isn't that bad, but bugged me nonetheless.
Underwater - I wanted to be able to record underwater for those swim holes, but frankly it sucks underwater. It is blurry as hell for some reason.
Point and shoot - I did most of the recording and on some videos I was off, even though I thought that simply looking at the person would get them in the shot. Though this is just a matter of trial and error to get it right. The LCD could potentially fix this, but a pain for it to come on and off your head (I had a strap, not helmet)
Droplets - you have to be careful when those buggers are in front of the lens, they can REALLY ruin a good capture.

For those activities where it would be cool to see the first person view would be the ideal situation. Canyoneering isn't very good for that, with the exception of a few things. Like sliding into a pool, or similar. Rappelling down, not so good. Recording someone else as they rappel or slide, not so good (cause of the fish eye). Again, this is specifically for canyoneering and I didn't like it, ended up returning it. It is an excellent camera regardless. By far the best in HD quality.

Here's the link to some of my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/cheapthrillstv

It's broken down by playlists per canyon trip. The feature video has a good amount of footage using the gopro. I only went on a couple of trips with it, so check out those videos to see how they came out:

Vivian Creek: Here you'll see how those droplets can be a problem.
Goat Canyon Trestle: I didn't use the waterproof door here, so you can tell the difference in sound. (Going back on what I said about first person view, I think these came out the best as I was biking through trestles)

Any more specific questions just ask :)

no avatar
crackers

by crackers » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:49 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Anyone who has one?
Looking for some background info before buying one ...

yeah, my guys and i use them a lot. they are incredibly tough and hard to destroy.

here's a video shot all with a gopro: or

Baarb

by Baarb » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:46 am

There's a whole youtube channel of stuff also http://www.youtube.com/user/GoProCamera though I guess those are 'the best of', not 'eh that doesn't look so good'. Keeps me entertained all the same.

jareds

by jareds » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:08 am

awesome. get one. the new one is like $200, you can record like 2-3 hours straight of HD vid.

I have the older one, cost me like $400. Buddy just bought the new one, the 'roam'.

here's some footage:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEcLFN7cWEU[/youtube]

I like Contour cameras but i've heard good things about the gopro as well.
the new gopro does 120/fps if you want super sharp slo-mo.

estunum

by estunum » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:30 am

sjarelkwint wrote:What do you guys use to edit?

Looking into something i can use for rock climbing and aconcagua at the moment

µFuture wise i would love to make a stop-motion hiking "guidebook" for the hikes i did ...

I have only edited one of my videos, the featured one, and I used After Effects for that.

For what you want it, it's a perfect fir IMO.

Stop-motion you say? The PES (picture every second) mode would be perfect for that. If memory serves me right, the intervals are of 2, 5, 10, 30 and 60 seconds. There are a number of programs and way to easily make an image sequence.

visentin

by visentin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:41 pm

Have a look in MPPost, there are things about this camera.

no avatar
crackers

by crackers » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Most of the folks I know use final cut pro or final cut...

Good luck and enjoy! I look forward to seeing your footage!

visentin

by visentin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:49 am

See this + all attached children pages

http://www.mbpost.com/article/280766/helmet-cams.html

visentin

by visentin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:51 am

and a video where I appear couple of times :)

http://www.youtube.com/embed/yXp5M6neiec

visentin

by visentin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:41 am

Return to Gear