Gore Range Trail creek crossing?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Mountainscott

Gore Range Trail creek crossing?

by Mountainscott » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Planning on a weekend loop in the Eagles Nest Wilderness from Gore Creek, over Red Buffalo Pass and down the Gore Range Trail to the trailhead at Copper Mountain and I heard the crossing at Tenmile Creek has been treacherous this year. Anyone been up this way and know if it's ford-able? Thanks.

no avatar
mconnell

Re: Gore Range Trail creek crossing?

by mconnell » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:37 am

Can't talk to that crossing specifically. The first week of July had pretty high crossings on other streams. My real reason for posting isn't the stream but the deadfall. There are a lot of down trees along the G.R. Trail, especially between the north Lost Lake Trail and the Brush Creek trail. (Without looking at a map, I'm not even sure you are crossing this part of the trail). It took may a lot of detours to get across this section. There was also one section where I completely lost the trail crossing a swampy area and had to backtrack quite a ways to find it. It was then a VERY wet "trail" for about 1/2 mile. Anyway, none of it was a big issue other than really slowing things down.

Mountainscott

Re: Gore Range Trail creek crossing?

by Mountainscott » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:40 pm

It wasn't a big deal, maybe 18 inches high. But you're right - this was a wet, sloppy trail with tons of dead trees. We did the 19-mile shuttle loop from Vail to Copper.

Return to Colorado