Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Great pictures vs. votes - huh!?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
 

Great pictures vs. votes - huh!?

Postby phlipdascrip » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:40 pm

I've been wondering about this one often enough. When I look at the pictures of the day and week on the front page, I wonder what the heck makes people vote high and plenty on most of them. A picture of the day or week, in my opinion, should not only have an outstanding motive, but should also be outstanding in artistic aspects (composition, colors, post processing etc.). A random snapshot that happened to be taken of an object of general interest in good weather really isn't enough to make it stand out to me. I wouldn't even find some of them worth keeping had I taken them. Guess some people are just too easily impressed.
Then again I see great pictures that went completely unnoticed.
Just wondering... *rant*
User Avatar
phlipdascrip

 
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanked: 23 times in 16 posts

Postby mrh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:51 pm

Yes, thats how it works.
User Avatar
mrh

 
Posts: 2072
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:31 pm
Location: Grangeville, Idaho, United States
Thanked: 424 times in 252 posts

Re: Great pictures vs. votes - huh!?

Postby Mark Doiron » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:34 pm

phlipdascrip wrote:... A random snapshot ...

Yep, you pretty well pegged it. And, as the recent recipient of the POTD, I was surprised that my photo so "honored". It was an okay photo, but nothing particularly spectacular. In fact, I don't even consider it the best picture I posted up that particular day. It's only the second of the nearly 500 that I've posted to be so selected, and I have many other much nicer pic's.

As for the quote above: I've been a long proponent of replacing the POTW and POTD with just a random photo or three thrown up every time the user hits the refresh button.

--mark d.
User Avatar
Mark Doiron

 
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:05 am
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma, United States
Thanked: 24 times in 11 posts

Postby rpc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:37 pm

yes, sometimes a masterpiece slips through the cracks -- you mustn't be too angry or disillusioned with this world, but I tell you this: the piece below was never a photo of the week!

Image

OUTRAGE!
User Avatar
rpc

 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:06 am
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 16 times in 10 posts

Postby phlipdascrip » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:47 pm

rpc wrote:but I tell you this: the piece below was never a photo of the week!


lol though it would have been more entertaning! :p

Mark: Some stunning pictures in your gallery! This is the type of photography that really deserves attention. A joy to click through!
User Avatar
phlipdascrip

 
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanked: 23 times in 16 posts

Postby lcarreau » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:51 pm

Upon viewing our planet realistically, I see the world as a very cruel, cold and malicious place.

That said, I'm happy to see folks being noticed on the Front Page of SP.

What makes me unhappy is when I see the SAME folks being "honored" again and again and...

Think we're due for a change, but probably won't be coming anytime soon. :?
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 951 times in 710 posts

Postby Sarah Simon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 pm

rpc wrote:yes, sometimes a masterpiece slips through the cracks -- you mustn't be too angry or disillusioned with this world, but I tell you this: the piece below was never a photo of the week!

Image

OUTRAGE!


The subject...the composition...the lighting...

Where's the "11" button on my keyboard??? 8)
User Avatar
Sarah Simon

 
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:01 am
Location: Black Forest, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 239 times in 108 posts

Postby phlipdascrip » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:10 pm

sarah.simon wrote:Where's the "11" button on my keyboard??? 8)

Try voting 1, twice.
User Avatar
phlipdascrip

 
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanked: 23 times in 16 posts

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:46 pm

It is good to remember that many pictures uploaded to SP are intended to illustrate a route or the typical characteristics, flora and fauna of a mountain or rock. A west-facing mountain presents the prettiest picture when the sun is shining on it in the evening; but that is not how it will look when you are trying to pick out the route at 6AM, when you head east into the dark shadows for the climb.
User Avatar
MoapaPk

 
Posts: 7669
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Thanked: 761 times in 494 posts

Postby lcarreau » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:52 pm

Seems to be lots of people taking advantage of SP's voting system.

It will continue to be that way until somebody makes a positive change.


(I tried voting "11" on several pictures, but it didn't work out!)
:cry:
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 951 times in 710 posts

Postby rpc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:56 pm

MoapaPk wrote:It is good to remember that many pictures uploaded to SP are intended to illustrate a route or the typical characteristics, flora and fauna of a mountain or rock. A west-facing mountain presents the prettiest picture when the sun is shining on it in the evening; but that is not how it will look when you are trying to pick out the route at 6AM, when you head east into the dark shadows for the climb.


yes - i wait to sunset and face west to illuminate bee sting and highlight the beauty of the intimate moment. yes I do. i say little prayer & upload. still no pow!
User Avatar
rpc

 
Posts: 2567
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:06 am
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States
Thanked: 16 times in 10 posts

Postby Dean » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:56 pm

I must admit I was very surprised to see my "Merry Christmas to all" picture appear on the front page since I had posted it as a profile type pic. I'm not complaining but it did surprise me.
However, I will say that the ones who are honored often by having their pics on the front page are excellent photographers, we know who they are. I am just a point and shoot kind of guy and my pics are primarily for documenting a hike, a peak or a trip which has meaning to me. Having said that, SP is still the best thing since sliced bread and the ones who pick the pictures and stuff for the front page do a pretty doggone good job. A thankless task which they do willingly. Once again, thanks to the "elves" who operate behind the scenes to keep SP up and
running. I salute you.
User Avatar
Dean

 
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 1:43 pm
Location: Lehi, Utah, United States
Thanked: 19 times in 8 posts

Postby Sarah Simon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:01 am

Dean wrote:I must admit I was very surprised to see my "Merry Christmas to all" picture appear on the front page since I had posted it as a profile type pic. I'm not complaining but it did surprise me.
However, I will say that the ones who are honored often by having their pics on the front page are excellent photographers, we know who they are. I am just a point and shoot kind of guy and my pics are primarily for documenting a hike, a peak or a trip which has meaning to me. Having said that, SP is still the best thing since sliced bread and the ones who pick the pictures and stuff for the front page do a pretty doggone good job. A thankless task which they do willingly. Once again, thanks to the "elves" who operate behind the scenes to keep SP up and
running. I salute you.


+1 for what Dean says.

Image

We Salute You!
User Avatar
Sarah Simon

 
Posts: 937
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:01 am
Location: Black Forest, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 239 times in 108 posts

Postby lcarreau » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:15 am

What about those about to (take a picture of a rock), we salute you ???
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 951 times in 710 posts

Postby Dave K » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:15 am

lcarreau wrote:Seems to be lots of people taking advantage of SP's voting system.

It will continue to be that way until somebody makes a positive change.


(I tried voting "11" on several pictures, but it didn't work out!)
:cry:


You've been watching too much "Spinal Tap."
User Avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 7935
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:40 pm
Location: Rancho Cordova, California, United States
Thanked: 77 times in 39 posts

Next

Return to Site Feedback

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.