Great Range

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
kylenicolls

Great Range

by kylenicolls » Thu May 30, 2013 10:07 pm

So I will have a few days off in July. I want to tackle the Great Range in the Adirondack's. I'm kind of liking the idea of doing it in a day, because my largest daily gain/loss so far is about 7500, I kind of want to hit the 10k mark. I'd have to do a detour, to hit that, I know. I found a good SP report on it, but would like more info. I have 2 NE climbing books on order, should be here in a few days. I'm sure at least one or both will have it within.

Anyone have any sources or personal advise? I read runners can do it in 6-8 hours fast. I would expect 12-16 hrs, I think is reasonable. How are the bugs in the beginning of July? I moved out here in Jan and have yet to do anything in the Adirondack's.

Info is appreciated.

Bark Eater

Re: Great Range

by Bark Eater » Fri May 31, 2013 1:17 pm

Agree with Catamount, 6-8 hours is unrealistic. It's not the elevation change, it's the steep and rough trail. I ran Pike's Peak in 5 1/2 hours, ~7800 feet elevation change. In my best day I could expect to maybe finish the great range sunrise to sunset. Too old to consider it now :-)

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Fri May 31, 2013 9:00 pm

Oh god I know I wouldn't touch 6-8 hours, thats insane. I'm in no way considering that. I figure on foot at 5am and hope to be done by 6-8pm or so. I don't think that is out of the question. I'm mostly basing off doing Mcloughlin in OR in 4.5 hrs start->finish without trying too hard. Thats about 12 miles round trip with 4500 gain in September. Although I was only toting a camelback, GPS and a few CLIF bars, though. I believe the terrain will be similar, to some extent, from what I read.

Thanks for the forum pointers, anita.

Catamount, no I didn't see that one, I will give it a gander, thanks. And you starting from Government camp? Thats another 1+k isn't it? But many more miles. I've only done it in a day from timberline. The route is pretty straightforward. Gets 45-50° on the Old Chute over the upper 700' or so, two axes would be useful there, right on the edge of upright stability at that slope. I'm guessing you're going Pearly Gates? About this time last year I was on Casaval Ridge at Mt. Shasta. God, I miss the NW....

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri May 31, 2013 9:15 pm

(I'm one of the four authors of that SP trip report that Catamount linked to)

You already addressed this, but just for reference regarding "six hours":

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/i ... y&thread=4

Twelve hours is still respectably quick - better than a 2mph average over some very rough terrain. You'll almost certainly need to jog on some of the easier sections to make that possible.

We certainly weren't racing when we did our 19-hour hike (actually Puma and I did a shorter route, staring later and finishing earlier than the other two, so maybe 17 hours for us), but we were in good shape and mindful to keep a good pace and take only short breaks. On parts of the trail, running is simply impossible - too steep. On others, running on rocky trails in the dark before/after such an exhausting hike would merely be suicidal for me on my best day.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri May 31, 2013 10:38 pm

Unlike most places in the Adk, you will generally find no potable water on the Great Range; you may find water in the form of mud-- lots of it.

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:20 am

Yep, read that too, MoapaPk. Kinda makes sense, being basically on a ridge line for 50-70% of the trip. I don't generally do outings as an accomplishment, so the idea of this traverse makes it a little different. Normally I just haul more crap in than I need and over-night it.

I'm thinking next weekend I should do something out there, to familiarize the area a bit before jumping in. Maybe Algonquin+Colden. At the least, Algonquin. The National Geographic 2012 map gives 14.2 miles from the Heart Lake campground with about 4900 ft gain. Or 16.4 miles w/ Wright/Boundary/Iroquois peaks as bonus's, adding 5-700 ft gain.

Thanks for the info, folks. Oh and FYI, I will be two-nighting at the trailhead! Got o be tip-top while both hiking and driving!

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am

You know last week a guy I knew was going to ascend some route near Illumination Rock, but they diverted to the Old Chute because 5am ice was a bit too loose. Yeah Oregon is lucky to have Hood so accessible. Even has some north-side glacial routes.

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:10 am

In case anyone was curious I did do the loop mentioned, Wright/Algonquin/Iroquois/Colden. Gain was about 6200 ft peak to trough of the signifiant changes, GPS totaled 6980 ft over entire trip. Nat Geo map said 16.4 miles, GPS said 16.37. Took me 9 hrs (was shooting sub-8). Had about 25 lb on my back. Drink 3.5 L of water.

Didn't hold the 2mph I was overly ambitious about, but close. Adding 4-6 miles wouldnt be hard, but 4000 ft gain would. I think 15-16 hrs seems legitimate if I decide to try.

Oh and I had no encounter with black flys. No see ums, I believe they were, were kinda bad on the S Colden trail. Gone at tree line. I kept moving to avoid using the DEET.

kylenicolls

by kylenicolls » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:52 pm

I figured I'd say... I did it!

Did the long one walkswithblackflies put the write-up on. So 10,120 ft gain. Although I got a ride at the garden, lol. Coincidentally caught up with two other guys that left the Rooster Comb TH 5-10 min before me after 5 miles or so. I saw in the register they were doing the same thing so I hailed them on it when I saw them. We were pretty equally paced on much of the trip, so it worked out. Started within 10 min of 5am and got to the Garden at 9:45pm, 16 hrs 45 min. We were shooting for 16 hrs, so not far off. NatGeo has the length of 25.5 miles. My last trip up there was dead on with their numbers when compared with my GPS, so I think its pretty close. My GPS batt died this time, though.

Certainly an accomplishment of the year. If anyone was out on Saturday, it was a great day up there. Got very lucky on that note.

EDIT: I carried 4 L of water, I believe John and Joe did as well. At this point (fill-up from stream) I had drink about 2.5-3L (I'm 168 lb). Joe, much bigger guy than I, I think was at about 4.5L (I gave him about 2/3 L on Basin or Saddleback and he gave me some food to supplement my inadequately planning). We found water on the low-point stream crossings between Haystack and Basin where we filled up probably 8L (2L for me). I totaled between 5.5 and 6L through the trip.

The following user would like to thank kylenicolls for this post
Bark Eater

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:01 pm

Congratulations, Kyle. Great that you had a nice day for it!

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)