Has Anybody Climbed the Highest Via Ferrata Mount Kinabalu?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
deep6

Has Anybody Climbed the Highest Via Ferrata Mount Kinabalu?

by deep6 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:34 am

i was thinking of doing mount kinabalu, boreno via the summit trail to low's peak then descend via ferrata on the low's peak circuit...looks to be a lot of fun and check out the site plus video:

http://www.mountaintorq.com/

just wanted to see if anybody done this before and how was it? also had a couple of other questions:

1. which guide/tour company did you go with and how much did it cost plus what was included in the package?
2. what was the climber to guide ratio?
3. is it worth it worth it to do the entire via ferrata circuit preample and what was the total days for a successful summit plus via ferrata?

also, i was thinking of doing this in either august or september so what type of weather and crowds should i be expecting??

any help or information would be greatly appreciated so please post up here or feel free and shoot me a PM.

thank you.

verticalspirit

World's Highest & Asia's First Via Ferrata

by verticalspirit » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:42 am

I've personally did the Low's Peak Circuit via ferrata. I bet you'll like it, if you're in for a superb adventure. However, let me warn you, it is not a walk in the park, but rather challenging. It is an intermediate via ferrata route. Definitely not for the beginner. Well, weather wise it is really hard to tell. Since most Mountain of that altitude tend to generate their own weather system. If there is no typical storm nearby, then generally early morning 6.30am is a good time to start your via ferrata. The alpine hut known as "Pendant hut" is exclusively for via ferrata climbers only. For rock climbers, they have another hut which is located higher up at 3668m - Sayat Sayat hut. Hope this help? Good Luck!

deep6

Re: World's Highest & Asia's First Via Ferrata

by deep6 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:40 pm

verticalspirit: that's cool you did the low's peak circuit via ferrata...looks like a lot of fun! did you do the whole circuit and how long did it take you? also, did you arrange the climb and the via ferrata together w/ a guide company?

i've never done a via ferrata before so do they provide all the equipment? and how was the instruction on the mountain by the guides?? i'm shoot'n for september now to head out to boreno so i just wondered what the weather would be like on mt. kinabalu? and the number of people that usually do this mountain at this time of year??

if anybody else has done mt. kinabalu via ferrata please post up here and share w/ everyone else or feel free and send me a PM...

thank you.

verticalspirit wrote:I've personally did the Low's Peak Circuit via ferrata. I bet you'll like it, if you're in for a superb adventure. However, let me warn you, it is not a walk in the park, but rather challenging. It is an intermediate via ferrata route. Definitely not for the beginner. Well, weather wise it is really hard to tell. Since most Mountain of that altitude tend to generate their own weather system. If there is no typical storm nearby, then generally early morning 6.30am is a good time to start your via ferrata. The alpine hut known as "Pendant hut" is exclusively for via ferrata climbers only. For rock climbers, they have another hut which is located higher up at 3668m - Sayat Sayat hut. Hope this help? Good Luck!

Return to Asia