Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Hates summitpost page creating stuff!!!

Get HTML help, style input, and feedback on your pages from other SP members.

Re: Hates summitpost page creating stuff!!!

Postby lcarreau » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
sjarelkwint wrote:
I have never experienced the problems you have. It seems you would rather complain and blame than use available solutions that many others use and recommend. If that floats your boat, so be it.

lcarreau

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:39 pm

I agree that SP should have a draft system. Perhaps a suggestion about this could be sent to Matt, this would make quite a few people happy including myself. sjarelkwint, on another website I used I had to start saving my work in a notepad and such (dreamweaver takes more time to open up). :wink: Here is a great post that describes part of the problem:
server-speed-t57780-225.html#p850750

At the moment Matt cannot do anything about it until he figures out a work around solution. It is a very complex solution if there is one. He also happens to be a busy guy. :wink:
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:56 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:If it would have a draft saving system I wouldn't have lost it ... How many people have lost a lot of work due to the fault on it? People not using the system which summitpost is giving them ain't a sollution, it is just saying the system is shit and you use something else ...

Where did i complain about my camera?
I don't have a camera, I use my cellphone as a camera and just take pics for my mother in belgium so she knows what i'm doing here ...

Do I think the system for making pages is a pain in the ass? Yes. But...

I've used many on-line (or just LAN-shared) systems over the years for editing, and I ALWAYS edited my work off-line, and pasted the very-near-finished results in near the very end. Using an editor that isn't interrupted by web constipation and server crashes is just common sense. You seem to be somewhat of a programmer, so this should be a tiny imposition. Every operating system I used, including 1982 NOS, RX11, VMS, and 8 versions of UNIX/Linux, had a decent full-screen editor with cut-and-paste. C'mon, this isn't hard.

Nowadays, phone cameras can be decent, especially for the long-distance shots needed in most route description pages. With decent stand-alone digital cameras costing less than $100 US, it isn't a real imposition to provide photos that show the reasons to go to an area, and how to keep from getting lost while there.
MoapaPk

Postby mvs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:59 pm

It sucks to lose data, but I agree. There is nothing more insecure than a browser window sitting there. The only site I've seen that seems to have some draft protection is Blogger, which is Google, which has thousands of programmers looking for something to do. In general I never would expect something like that.

Anyway...just wait...Matt'll add this feature and then we'll have another server speed thread where this thing will be fingered as the culprit-du-jour for slowdowns. "EVERYBODY, PLEASE CLOSE YOUR EDIT WINDOWS, THANX!" :D
mvs

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 pm

:lol: Too funny. It's hard to make everyone happy.

Then everyone will have to use the draft system because the server will be so slow that it will disconnect almost everytime. Then we will have something like "Fater Error on draft system. Could not backup data" which people would be super angry. :lol: :twisted: (I know, I'm taking it too far)
Josh Lewis

Postby mrh » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Just type your report in a word document and save it. You can copy it onto SP when you have edited it and made it nice. Several people don't bother with the second part. This is the way the world does it and you have been told by several here to do this. Its simple, stress free and when SP goes away someday, you will still have all your stuff on your computer. You'd have to be a complete brain dead retard to do it any other way. Oh, nevermind.
mrh

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:38 pm

I always thought a cookie was something that saves on your computer. I guess I learn something new all the time. :)

sjarelkwint wrote:In this way only the network of the user will be used and not the database of summitpost which is already screwed?

What? How does that work out. No matter what it should be stored onto summitpost's server. A network of users would never work unless you talking about a network that you upload onto. But isn't that similar to a database?
Josh Lewis

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:03 pm

I love the idea! Now your making a lot more sense. This would be a neat addition. :D
Josh Lewis

Postby Vitaliy M. » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Are you serious, you type your TRs directly on SP? Why not use Word doc or type and email it to yourself for a backup?
Vitaliy M.

Postby mvs » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm trying not to laugh here...Cookies hold a limited number of bytes, they aren't big enough to hold entire page edits. They have enough room for one or two sentences, really.

But suppose they did. And suppose you are very pleased that somehow your unsaved edits were "auto saved" for you on your own client. You come to rely on this, next time typing out a *12* page report without saving. Now you run CCleaner on your machine, thinking it's getting a little sluggish. Oh no! CCleaner deletes browser cookies! Oh no!

:lol:

So how about hold off there before getting indignant that this "obvious" feature hasn't been implemented yet!

All kidding aside, I'm looking forward to your report, sounds like a good one :).
mvs

Postby Bob Sihler » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:23 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:Bob, you are always welcome to continue this conversatiopn in your third language ... Or in dutch which is my native language ...

Dude, relax-- notice the winky thing.

When something isn't going to change for me, then I try to change what I do to deal with the issue. All I and others here are trying to do is point out that instead of complaining or holding your breath for changes that a lot of people would like to see, try a different approach so you won't have the same problem again.

Cheers.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Page Help