Haul Bag or Duffel as Backpack

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Andrew Rankine

Haul Bag or Duffel as Backpack

by Andrew Rankine » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:06 am

Next year I am planning to climb all the European Country Highpoints, 50 of them... I'm going to get between them all on public transport, and I'll have to carry all of my equipment for everything from Elbrus to hills in Belgium at times when I cannot drop some gear off in Prague. So, I have been looking at options to carry everything I need for all of those peaks, and have been thinking that there is no backpack large enough to carry it all. If you know of a massive pack, let me know...
I have been looking at TNF Base Camp Duffels and Metolius and BD haul bags as an alternative to a backpack. But, how good is the suspension on these, and how easy are they to carry? I know it will be hell either way, but is this feasible? Thanks.

Damien Gildea

Re: Haul Bag or Duffel as Backpack

by Damien Gildea » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:57 am

Duffels and haulbags would suck for this. No good for sustained heavy load carrying, and having one big bag, weighing over 25kg is no good for flights (Elbrus?) and angry bus drivers (most places).

What about one 80 litre backpack (Gregory Denali Pro, CiloGear 75 etc?) and a 30 litre day pack? You should be able to get everything you need in that combo, even for Elbrus. If you have to walk any distance in town, put the big pack on, and put the daypack on your front. The daypack is your carry-on for flights and the 80 litre pack won't get rejected by airline check-in. I think you could actually do it with a 70 litre pack and a 25 litre daypack, especially if your tent is light and you wear your mountain boots a lot.

The following user would like to thank Damien Gildea for this post
Andrew Rankine

Andrew Rankine

Re: Haul Bag or Duffel as Backpack

by Andrew Rankine » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:35 pm

I am going to be doing nearly all of my travel by train, and if I fly to Elbrus I'll drop off my other gear in Prague first. I'll have to start looking for big packs I guess. The Gregory looks good.

Return to Gear