Help to plan a short Alps hiking trip

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
bdynkin

Help to plan a short Alps hiking trip

by bdynkin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:41 pm

Just bought tickets to fly to Geneva (from Boston) for a short (3 nights) trip. This trip is a surprise gift for my wife's 50-th birthday! So, take it seriously and help - I really like my wife! :)

We are getting to Geneva on the morning of July 2 and our return flight is July 6 at 5pm. I'd like to plan a hiking trip with 2 nights in the huts. It can be either on the Swiss side (e.g. Arolla area) or on the Italian side (e.g. Breul-Cervinia, or along rt E27) but not too much further from Geneva. We are fairly experienced wilderness backpackers: Alaska, Sierra, British Columbia, Newfoundland. I am a climber, my wife is not. We've never hiked in the Alps so your hut system is quite exotic for us. Dinner with wine and a light backpack? Hmm, nice...

Not looking for any particular sporting challenge or sights to see. Don't have to see Mont Blanc or Matterhorn. Prefer to avoid really busy places but realistic about crowds in the Alps. Will have Microspikes for easy snow but don't want to use any technical gear (ropes, etc). Questions: snow conditions in early July of this year, weather vs location, hut reservation/availability. I found this site (amazing info!) and am studying it:
http://www.sac-cas.ch/Search-a-hut.971.0.html?&L=3

Getting the picture? Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. In exchange can help to plan a trip to places in Alaska where few people ever go - seriously. :D

no avatar
bdynkin

by bdynkin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:41 pm

Great idea - thank you! Question: these two huts are on the opposite sides of the main valley. So when you go from one to another, you have to cross the main road at the valley floor at some point? And which 3 cols did you mean?

What do you think about this option?
Day 1: La Fouly - Cabane de Neuve
Day 2: Cabane de Neuve - Cabane de Saleina (over 3 cols, some glacier travel)
Day 3: Cabane de Saleina to Praz de Fort descent

no avatar
bdynkin

by bdynkin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:40 pm

tomic wrote:
bdynkin wrote:From the hut over Col des Otanes down to Mauvoisin where you cross the road at its very end. On the opposite side of the valley over Tete du Sarshlau and Col du Bec d'Aigle to the other hut.

Oh, I see - vow!

I like your suggested route a lot. It is very good that the last day is just a short walk from Cabane de Louvie to town - we need to be in Geneva at 3 pm to fly back. And I suspect that my wife wold prefer to stay off the glaciers.

Thanks a lot!

Return to Europe