Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

High Sierra Peak damaged by fire plane drop

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Postby Rob » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:41 pm

It'll wash off and most likely be gone by this next summer.

Looks like it's still there, three years later. There's many spots in the San Gabriel mountains where this stuff has been used, and the stains are on the rocks for much longer than that, in fact, it appears that the stains are permanent.

Rob

Postby butitsadryheat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:52 pm

I have seen some drops along the ridges east of Lake Isabella that have been there every year I drive by on my way to the east side. Some have been there at least 10 years.
butitsadryheat

Postby MoapaPk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Again, the red is likely hematite, Fe2O3, intentionally added as a dye. The other stuff (surfactants, etc.) has long washed away. Hematite won't degrade; it can only wash off or be rubbed away. It's also chemically innocuous, but an eyesore. The particles are small, and tend to wash into the cracks between the grains in the granite.
MoapaPk

Previous

Return to California