Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Hiking with Cats

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: Hiking with Cats

Postby jesu, joy of man's desiring » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:31 pm

-

hiking with yer pet rat makes more sense...

-
jesu, joy of man's desiring

Postby Bob Sihler » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:45 pm

LuminousAphid wrote:Ever since I got my cat a few months ago, I have wanted to try getting one of those "harness" things for her, partly because she always tries to get outside and partly for my own entertainment. But me and my roommate were talking about it the other day and decided that walking a cat on a leash is the activity of a crazy person... I guess that first story proves that we were right!

I think it would be awesome if a cat would follow you on a hike, but I would be worried I'd end up having to carry it when it just didn't want to go anymore. And unlike a large dog, it can't carry anything useful for me. And they hate water- water is literally everywhere in the places I hike sometimes

Not only does a cat on a leash look ridiculous, but most cats also want nothing to do with a leash. We tried it once because we have a cat that likes to follow us on walks, so we thought it might be safer to leash her. As soon as we put that harness on, she just stood there with a look as though every shred of her dignity had been violated and would not move, turning the prospect of taking her for a walk into taking her for a drag.

We didn't try that again.

That same cat went missing for seven months, including the winter, when we were out of town visiting my mother-in-law, and when she was found beyond all hope with her collar still on, we decided to keep her tied in the yard by leash and collar whenever we let her out. She would spend ten minutes or so squirming out of that collar and then be off on her rounds. We scrapped that idea, too.

I've had both cats and dogs, and both have their good and bad aspects, but I'll swear that cats are a lot more stubborn than dogs are and have a lot more pride.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby LuminousAphid » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:As soon as we put that harness on, she just stood there with a look as though every shred of her dignity had been violated and would not move

I'm assuming that it would go something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz9qNH8ofWI

That cat does not enjoy a sweater at all. I put a santa outfit on my cat during christmas time, but it only had a neck loop and a belt thing, so it wasn't too restricting.

As for the feral cat issue, yes it is bad here at least where I live (obviously I can't speak for all of North America), our apartment complex is very nice but someone nearby feeds lots of feral cats or something, and every spring so far there are baby ones. Pretty soon there probably will be some little kittens, and I may actually try to start trapping them and bringing them to a no-kill shelter if possible so that they dont make more babies next year.
LuminousAphid

Postby byates » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:27 am

One problem with Hiking with cats is that when they are into it all is fine but when they no longer care to hike forget about it, When I was a kid I still remember my mom hiking out from from Big Sandy lakes to the trail with the cats head sticking out of the pack, much to the amusement of other hikers.
byates

Postby Josh Lewis » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:46 am

http://www.summitpost.org/kitty-in-the- ... 8/c-728207

I've seen Cats in the mountains before. :lol: 8)
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby lcarreau » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:29 am

Gotta admit, NEVER been much for cats ... but if Pink Floyd wrote a song about them, they must be pretty cool ...

lcarreau

Postby punchline » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:41 am

LuminousAphid - If you are concerned with water crossings when hiking with cats, make sure you bring along a pirate.

ps OOPS - don't think I posted this photo right, anyways, you get the point ... ARGHHH
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (5.24 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Last edited by punchline on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
punchline

Postby jesu, joy of man's desiring » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:44 am

--

kats are kool...enjoy!

-

Postby MoapaPk » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:48 am

MoapaPk

Postby lcarreau » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:58 am

lcarreau

Postby CSUMarmot » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:02 am

Couldnt you just drag a string behind you when you go climbing?
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris
CSUMarmot

The following user would like to thank CSUMarmot for this post
lcarreau

Postby Baarb » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:22 am

I guess this slightly departs from the direction the thread has taken but does having a pet with you increase attention from things like mountain lions and so on? Or would the string keep it occupied?
Baarb

Postby dadndave » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:37 am

CSUMarmot wrote:Couldnt you just drag a string behind you when you go climbing?

That's an excellent idea, but I'm afraid its already been thought of. :D
It's time you all knew. Curiosity didn't kill the cat. I got the bastard with a shovel.
dadndave
Forum Moderator

Postby rlshattuck » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:57 pm

Okay, my stupid cat-in the-high sierra momemt . . . standing on a windy pass (think it was Glen) sun setting and two guys come up the other side. One of them begins to take pictures and I'm hearing things, like a cat meow and I'm just looking at him, thinking, he's got a cat with him?

So I say to 'em, that this must sound crazy but I hear a cat, and the guys says, no, I didn't want to leave her at home

I'm so suckered that I'm already wondering where he's got all this cat food, not to mention the cat. Duh!

The guy was so good, I fully expected him to take off his pack and pull out a cat, but turned out that he'd had his camera shutter set up with a cat meow. Ha. . . . . okay, you had to be there. What altitude and hunger will do to ya.
rlshattuck

Postby jesu, joy of man's desiring » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:31 pm

--

don't wanna "stray" too far from the OP theme....

vvv

-

The following user would like to thank jesu, joy of man's desiring for this post
Josh Lewis, lcarreau

PreviousNext

Return to General