Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

How did you learn to climb ice?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: How did you learn to climb ice?

Postby jrisku » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:46 am

Here are the books I promised to dig out. They're very different from each other, but liked the both + main reason for me to read these was to get more some mountaineering knowledge + to learn about best way to build the belay anchors / fluent changes of leader for multi-pitch climbs. Have to say though, that the best way of multi pitch belay anchors / fluent changes of leader wasn't really well covered in these (learned through experience, reading Will's and Dane's blogs, talking to others + thinking it through while writing an article about it). So here are the books:

1. Winter Skills by Andy Cunningham and Allen Fyffe, ISBN-10: 0-9541511-3-5, ISBN-13: 978-0-9541511-3-3
2. Ice & Mixed Climbing: Modern Technique by Will Gadd, ISBN-10: 0-89886-769-x, ISBN-13: 978-0-89886-769-5
jrisku

The following user would like to thank jrisku for this post
Flattlander

Postby bird » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Flattlander wrote:This is a question for ice climbers out there: How did you learn? How did you get to the point where you could go out and climb waterfalls and gullies? Classes? More experienced friends? Just doing it?

The reason I ask is that I started learning last winter by taking classes. It was great experience, and I learned a lot and climbed some cool stuff in a controlled environment, with a guide on the sharp end. Then winter ended. I'm now thinking about this upcoming winter and asking myself, "How the heck am I going to continue my ice climbing education? I have no friends who climb ice, and I still have a lot to learn."

As I think about what my next move should be, I'm interested in hearing your stories.

Ask kozman18 to take you climbing :D
bird

Postby Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun May 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Flattlander wrote:How did you learn?

I was too poor to afford the proper gear, so....

I got some 2-inch wide flat steel bars in a junkyard and sawed them down to fit between my flexible boots and flexible crampons.

Voilà! Rigid ice-climbing gear.

Then I went to the ice and just started "bouldering" around the base of the frozen waterfalls.
Sierra Ledge Rat

Previous

Return to General