Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

How did you start? Your first climbs??

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: How did you start? Your first climbs??

Postby boyblue » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:10 am

My family went on a hike to the Paradise Ice Caves (Mt Rainier NP) when I was 12. I was totally hooked, but I wished that I could have been there without parental supervision so I could have done some off-trail exploration.

I only had to wait a month or so for my wish to come true. (Be careful what you wish for...) I was invited to join my older brother's Boy Scout troop for a repeat of the same hike to the ice caves. There was adult supervision, but it was kind of lax. I guess we were old enough to be expected to act responsibly and with a bit of common sense. Oops. While the scout masters and most of the rest of the scouts were exploring the inside of the caves, I was outside with a couple of other miscreants studying the Paradise Glacier which rose up above us- presumably all the way to the summit. It seemed so close! What the hell! We ducked under the rope barrier, ignoring the warning signs and began to hike up the glacier in tennis shoes, shorts and t-shirts. The number of climbing rules we were breaking could probably fill a book almost as thick as "Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills".

We got only a very short distance when there came a loud squeaking noise from just up ahead. Then a loud crash and a cloud of white spray burst up from a section of the glacier just beyond view on the slope we were climbing. Something big had just collapsed and it certainly got our attention. We wasted no time in retreating back to the 'safe' side of the rope barrier. Lucky for us, The Mountain was in a generous and benevolent mood that day when it spared the lives of a bunch of young 'mountaineers'. (I was still hooked for life, though. :) )
boyblue

Postby Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:56 pm

I started climbing when I was about 14 years old during summer camp.

One of the "cool" instructors took me out to a long cliff (about 1/2-mile long) with a 40-50 foot cliff face. We played a game where we would walk along the base with our eyes closed; where ever we would stop is where we would climb up to the top.

Then we down-climbed and repeated the "game" over and over as we made out way down the cliff.

In later years, once I started getting into climbing for real, we did girdle traverses of the long face.

Sierra Ledge Rat

Postby TimB » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:01 pm

emmieuk wrote:Its been a few days since i first came here and discovered the world of climbing!!

So what got me thinking was...how did you all start? Long walks as a kid? Read a book in school? What got you into this?

What were your first climbs?

Yes I am sooooo passing the time at work ;) but it would be interesting to hear everyones stories

Reading climbing books as a kid(The White Spider) and receiving two of Rowell's books on climbing as a gift got me dreaming-Galen's photos, wow!!
Visiting the Eiger a few years back got me stoked enough to finally get off my ass and start climbing(at 44 yo) :o

First climbs(just last Fall!) were sport routes at the City of Rocks in Idaho. Done a few multipitch sport climbs and a trad or two(Following).
Going to do the Grand Teton in August, so that will be my first "Alpine" climb.
TimB

Postby Matt Lemke » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:30 pm

My first "real" climb was Chikamin Peak in the WA Cascades back in October 2007. The seed was planted there although I really didn't start climbing mountains full force until about a year and a half ago.
Matt Lemke

Previous

Return to General