How the hell do I get an invitation to Russia if...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
CastillejaMiniata

How the hell do I get an invitation to Russia if...

by CastillejaMiniata » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:05 am

...I am not using a guide service? I want to do Elbrus on the "cheap" but it doesn't seem possible -it's like they're forcing you to use a guide, but I'm sure some Americans have done it without a guide. I don't use guides anyway.

Woodie Hopper

Re: How the hell do I get an invitation to Russia if...

by Woodie Hopper » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:34 am

You might look into Pilgrim tours. They have an "Elbrus light" package that helps with logistics including papers and travel without using guides. Sometime in the next few years I'll make it there, but I won't be using a guide either.

Woodie

CastillejaMiniata

by CastillejaMiniata » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:40 pm

I'll take a look. I want to come from Georgia if possible, potentially further complicating things.

no avatar
mtnjim

by mtnjim » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:06 pm

I know lots of places sell them. the one that's most mentioned on Thorn Tree is http://www.waytorussia.net. Just checking the site, it looks like they're $30 there. I know there are others. A search on http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree should turn up alternatives to check.

So do you know if any special permits are required for the Elbrus area? I know there used to be but I don't think there are any more. But I haven't been able to find definitive information on the current situation. Because of last years problems I'm wondering if they may have been reinstituted.

I just started looking into this so might have more info in a few days.

Cheers,
JimS

Fletch

by Fletch » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:42 pm

The visa service you use here in the States will write you an "invitation" for an extra $50. Try the ones in San Francisco.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 pm

I'll take a look. I want to come from Georgia if possible, potentially further complicating things.

It will. Georgia and Russia have political 'tension.'

CastillejaMiniata

by CastillejaMiniata » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 pm

Well yeah, that's why I figure it would complicate things....

Thanks everyone, I'll look into some of these options after a climb tonight/tomorrow. So about $200 to get into Russia total (invitation, visa, other BS)? Would it be easier to get into Georgia from Russia as opposed to the other way around?

CastillejaMiniata

by CastillejaMiniata » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:47 am

I just wanted to spend some time in Georgia and Armenia during the same trip as doing Mt. Elbrus.

no avatar
mtnjim

by mtnjim » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:21 pm

There are flights from Yeravan to MRV. It sn't much of a bargain, but might simplifly arriving from Armenia.

There's also a weekly flight from Dubai to Mineralnye Vody. There are sometimes some good fares to Dubai so it could work out reasonably for that reason.

CastillejaMiniata

by CastillejaMiniata » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:32 am

I'll look into this after spring break when I'm deciding on flights. Thanks, all.

lefty

by lefty » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:59 am

I used Pilgrim Tours in 2009 for logistics and it was a useful service. A guide is not necessary on the mountain if you have some mountaineering experience.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:52 am

mtnjim wrote: There's also a weekly flight from Dubai to Mineralnye Vody. There are sometimes some good fares to Dubai so it could work out reasonably for that reason.

Dubai - MV return in May-June is around $750.

BLong

by BLong » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Been checking how to get from georgie to russia as well, only way is with a ferry or over azerbeidzjanm a direct transfer over land seems impossible ... You plan on going overland if yes where is your flight going?

The border between Georgia and Russia is currently open to all nationalities. I have confirmed this with Georgians living in Tbilisi (through the Couch Surfing website), although I have yet to here of any Canadians / Americans that have crossed. Here are some random forum posts talking about the opening:
http://www.couchsurfing.org/group_read. ... st=9861831
http://soviettruck.com/forums/topic/rus ... sing-open/
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t ... 3#19769123
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/t ... ID=2122018

As of right now it sounds like you can cross legally on a daily basis, but there is not great bus service. The Georgian Military Highway is supposed to be beautiful.

We are going to climb Ararat and Elbrus this July, but won't have time to do the overland through Georgia (which sucks). Flying will work out better with acclimatization, as flying directly from Van, Turkey to MinVody, Russia (you can make all the flights in a day for ~$400) will allow you to sleep high.

CastillejaMiniata

by CastillejaMiniata » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:16 am

For better or worse, I'm about to book tickets to the Alps instead. Will get over to the Caucasians next time.

Next

Return to Europe