Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

How was Your weekend?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: How was Your weekend?

Postby rpc » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:01 pm

Martin,
Holy Cow!!! Is that vantage!!
The boulder problem looks sick...
rpc

Postby Clydascope » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:05 pm

I took a group of 10 employees and their dates to Las Vegas for a Jimmy Buffett concert - managed to win some money too!
Clydascope

Postby Martin Cash » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:08 pm

Yep, the first one is my shot of Brian Hench following Tangled Up In Blue on Sunday. Crazy!
Martin Cash

Postby Dave Daly » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:18 pm

Betcha had to dyno for that only sloper, Martin!
Dave Daly

Postby Nate D » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:02 pm

Whoa!! And no crash pad even!? Destined for the mags, dude.
Nate D

Postby DudeThatMustHurt » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:06 pm

I went up long scraggy peak.. came back down fairly early AM and took some pretty pictures.... that's about it....

Martin, Juh.... Great Shots!
DudeThatMustHurt

Postby Diego Sahagún » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:09 am

11 September 2005 - I drove with Nadie to Teruel province. We passed the first night in a hotel of Teruel so we were visiting the town. We also had visited Cuenca when going to Teruel. The second day we went to Albarracín and Sierra del Tremedal, where we wanted to ascend Caimodorro (1935 m), highest mountain in all Serranía de Albarracín. We had gone to the camping of Albarracín before and had lunch there. We also had to buy something before approaching Caimodorro. We didn't know the area and the map that we had bought in Teruel is bad drawn so when we found the best base for ascending Caimodorro it was too late so we turned back and ascended Peña Aguda (or Castillo de ___?) from the road A-1512, a little but beautiful little peak. Finally we visited the nice village of Albarracín. The 3rd day we drove Collado de las Latas (approx. 1765 m) and climbed to the top of Caimodorro through the pinewood, even the summit is covered by pines. We stayed 20 minutes on the top and descended quickly to my car. It was a very short hike (1h 20 min with the descent) but it was nice. We visited the Natural Park of Alto Tajo and Molina de Aragón (one of the coldest towns in Spain) when driving back home. In Alto Tajo we drove to Laguna de Taravilla, where we could see many nice birds.

18 September 2005 - We went to Rascafría, Madrid, where we started hiking at approximately 1185 m on the PR 35 trail. Firstly we walked along a forest trail through the oakwood and took some short cuts. PR 35 is not well visible in those short cuts but we continued and reached the forest trail again. Below Raso de la Cierva we took the forest trail to the left, wich is flat in some sections and then climbs to El Artiñuelo, the SE shoulder of Flecha (2077 m). But at 1760 m we did a 45 minutes stop for resting and having lunch, it was been a hot day til there. We continued to El Ariñuelo where we left the forest trail and crossed a young pinewood first and steep meadow second to the summit of Flecha (3h 50 min). We stayed 10 minutes on the top and started the descent as in the ascent but we took some short cuts that we hadn't taken before. So we passed an important crossing and we took the wrong forest trail to the south. I noticed that the trails was not the same as in the ascent and looked at my map. Then we turned back to the crossroad and continued straight on along the forest trail to Raso de la Cierva. We took the short cuts on PR 35 and reached my car 7 hours from the start.
Diego Sahagún

Postby Cy Kaicener » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:39 am

Went to Cactus to Clouds this last Wednesday and have pictures <a href=http://piotrowski.smugmug.com/gallery/959004/44101877>http://piotrowski.smugmug.com/gallery/959004/44101877</a> We had cloudcover the whole day which makes for a pleasant change in desert conditions.
Cy Kaicener

Postby Dave Daly » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:10 pm

Well, I guess we underestimated this first winter "dusting" of the Sierra. Thinking that the local forecast may be inflated, we went for climbing University Peak, only to discover at 1AM Saturday morning that the road leading up to the trailhead was already buried in almost 2 feet of snow (8400'). Not feeling comfortable with any guardrails by the road and sliding around a bit (even using 4-wheel drive), we scratched that plan and drove back down the road and headed up to Rock Creek in hopes of doing Mt. Morgan as a consolation. Upon arrival, we also discovered the road was only plowed up to the snow play area (2 miles short of the lodge and 4 miles short of the trailhead). We slept in the Xterra and got up that morning hoping that the snow was managable to travel on. Pffffftttt......yeah, if you like postholing up to your waist for miles on end! Our final choice was to climb up to the super-close Lover's Leap peaklet (as known by the locals and close to the Iris Slabs area). Again, we postholed for a little while but it only got worse. My feet ended up getting really messed up (just couldn't get good circulation...even on the move!). Regretably, we turned around, my tail between my legs. Finally, Debbi and I went to Mammoth and found comfort in x-country skiing at Tammark. The trails were groomed nicely and we had a fairly good time. Still getting the hang of it but it was fun none the less. Think we'll start getting into that as well.....

Bottom line : a learning lesson for us both!
Dave Daly

Postby HandjamMasterC » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:39 pm

Yup Dave, XC skiing is a blast when the peaks are a pain to get to!! Me, I got my Fisher skate skis waxed up and ready to go!!!
HandjamMasterC

Postby Dave Daly » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:59 pm

This past weekend was ideal for climbers to take advantage of Red Rocks. Deb had never been to Red Rocks and found out she really enjoyed the rock quality there. Although we experienced high winds (almost got blown off one route) in early morning hours (7AM -9AM), the day shaped up to be t-shirt and shorts day. Climbed most of the Magic Bus formation, making up variations on most it's right side (Neon Sunset, Technicolor Sunrise, Zipperhead and Ken Quesey). We chuckled a bit when we heard one party exclaim that some of the routes were runout. Obviously, they had never been to the Sierra Nevada. Even the PG13 routes felt comfy to lead....

A nice weekend getaway.
Dave Daly

Postby Matt Worster » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:01 am

I've always wondered what it would be like to climb outside of JTree and the Sierra in terms of difficulty (this is a 5.8?!?!) and run-out. I knew I had finally arrived at my comfort level in JTree when I was on a slab and looked wa-a-ay up to the next bolt. Well, ok, if that's the way it's going to be. Just as I was making the next move I found a bolt at my feet I had missed. If I'm comfortable skipping a bolt at J-Tree, I'm doing ok!
Matt Worster

Postby Scott » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:11 pm

No page to attach the TR to, so I'll post it here:

<b>Shattering an Old Record: Iron Wash, San Rafael Swell, February 4-5 2005</b>

The weather forecast was good, and it was time to leave my buried in snow town for some sun and desert. Three year old Kessler was ready for some exploring as well and desperately wanted to get outside. The San Rafael Swell seemed like a good choice.

I had wanted to explore Iron Wash and Lone Man Draw to the Cedar Mesa Sandstone to see if there was a slot. I also wanted to hike Iron wash through the Reef since I haven’t done it before. Having already explored Ernie Canyon and Upper Iron Wash (the technical section), I wanted to explore the rest of Iron and Lone Man to complete the series. It would be a long hike for Kessler in two days, but I didn’t bother to measure it on the map.

After driving down Thursday night, we were ready to start early the next morning. Iron Wash was scenic and spectacular with high red rock walls, as it cut through the Reef and was a pleasant walk. The main difficulty was the slippery ice in the shaded sections. There was a bit of snow as well, but it wasn’t a problem. We made the first four miles to Lone Man Draw in 2.5 hours, which was much quicker than expected. Lone Man Draw looked pretty dry, and since Iron Wash had a nice creek at this point, and some inviting campsites, we decided to drop the packs here and day hike the rest of the canyon. It would be a long day however, if we could make it. After a nice lunch, we hiked up Lone Man Draw was open, sunny, and pleasant since it faces south. After hiking a couple of hours, we stopped for a rest near where the canyon cuts through the Cedar Mesa Sandstone. There was a shallow slot, but it doesn’t look as deep as the one in the main fork. We had made it with time to spare. Since we had time, and since Kessler wanted more, we climbed up the slopes to the east for a peek into the canyon. We climbed several hundred feet to a nice and high overlook, where we “discovered” a nice (presumably) Fremont Indian Ruin. It was right on top of a butte. There is no water up here, so it must have been a winter campsite where one can look for miles in all directions. We continued up to another point with fine views. We had made it much farther than expected, and it was time to go back.

We reached the edge of a canyon and Kessler wanted to explore it. I had wanted to take the faster rim walk, but he wanted to go down the canyon. It was a rugged scramble in and there was an eight foot cliff to get over. Luckily, I brought a short rope to lower Kessler down. There was a shallow Chinle slot that Kessler like to hike through. After reaching the main Lone Man Draw we headed back to camp arriving not long before sunset. It was a long day. It was getting cold, so we built a nice driftwood fire in the wash bottom (so it would wash away with the next rains). Kessler was tired and asked to go to bed after dinner. I told him it was a long hike today. He agreed and asked “Daddy, are you proud of your buddy?” Obviously I was.

The next morning was 19 degrees (-7C), so I started the fire with some small sticks so Kessler could sit by it while eating breakfast. We quickly ate and decided to hike up Iron Wash to the slot since we still had time. We walked up to the slot with the huge pools of water. They were all covered with ice. We left the main drainage and hiked a side canyon so we could peer into the slot. Kessler wanted to see the slot his daddy hiked down before he was born.
After some exploring, we ate lunch and headed back to camp. Camp was packed up, and we started back for the car. The last four miles were long because Kessler said his feet were sore. We hiked a little slower and reached the car very tired. It was a six-hour drive back home. On the way back, Kessler asked “Daddy can we hike those canyons again sometime?”

After reaching home, I had wanted to measure (on the computer) our distance covered because I was curious if Kessler might have broke his record of eight miles in one day set last September on Marsh Peak. I measured our first day distance and was astounded. I had to measure it again because it seemed too much. The figure was the same. We had covered just over 12 miles the first day! Kessler had shattered his old record. It was all trail-less walking as well, and some of it quite rugged. Day two was 10 miles, quite impressive as well for a three year old. We had covered 22 miles in two days. Kessler was very proud of himself, and I was too. He excitedly told his mom that he hiked 22 miles. We ate a few popsicles before going to bed. I wonder what our next adventure will be?
Scott

Postby Deb » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:25 pm

Weekend? What weekend?! I spent Friday in Germany with 25 degrees and snow flurry; and Saturday/Sunday in Kuwait with 70 degrees and rain. None of which produces any thrilling activities!
BTW, I am in now in Iraq and there will be no more weekends. :P
Deb

Postby Deb » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:59 am

HAHA! BUMP!

Funny how our lives progress. I've been home for 13 months now and will never grace the sands of Iraq again! :D

So, OK Dave and I climbed at Holcomb Valley Pinnacles and Onyx Summit Crag this weekend............there.....thread revived. :wink:
Deb

PreviousNext

Return to General