Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

How was Your weekend?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Off-route in the Canadian Rockies

Postby dan2see » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:26 am

You will be able to recognize my "week-end activities" when I describe how I went off-route (not just off-trail). By "off-route", I usually mean the wrong mountain...

Last week-end I hiked the access ridge to Mt McGillivray. But by mistake I hiked up to the NE face of Pigeon Mountain. When I finally saw McGillivray "over there", in the distance, and how it was separated by a big valley and canyon, I did not try go across.

This Sunday I headed for the pass on the south side of Mt. Baldy. But instead I hiked up the SW buttress until the terain got too wild. The fresh snow on the fir trees was pretty, but when the snowballs plopped on the ground, they all looked like alternate hiking routes. I could have gone up onto the open rock, because the snow was excellent to walk on. But this was supposed to be a pass, so I traversed until it got worse, and then came down.
dan2see

Postby Carbo » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:41 pm

Deb wrote:HAHA! BUMP!

Funny how our lives progress. I've been home for 13 months now and will never grace the sands of Iraq again! :D

So, OK Dave and I climbed at Holcomb Valley Pinnacles and Onyx Summit Crag this weekend............there.....thread revived. :wink:

You mean you are done with Iraq? That is excellent.
Carbo

Postby Deb » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:42 pm

Carbo wrote:You mean you are done with Iraq? That is excellent.

Yep, I retire in 7 weeks. Get to spend my last tour at a unit on the beach in SoCal. :D
Deb

Postby Carbo » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:34 am

Deb wrote:
Carbo wrote:You mean you are done with Iraq? That is excellent.

Yep, I retire in 7 weeks. Get to spend my last tour at a unit on the beach in SoCal. :D

Congrats. Sounds like tough last tour :D
Carbo

Postby HandjamMasterC » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:13 am

Congratulations on your 20 year retirement coming up Deb!
HandjamMasterC

Postby HandjamMasterC » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:23 am

Last weekend was too cool! Spent Friday night with Dragger, Jill Mitchell, her boyfriend and absinthe maker Pascal and others eating steak and drinking good wine in Marseille!
Sat. we took the 200 m.p.h TGV ( man I love that train!! ) to Paris.

Sat. night we spent tripping around Paris - what a wild party scene on a Sat. night!!

I can't wait to go back one of these days!!

Sunday sucked - 22 hours in planes and airports.............
HandjamMasterC

Postby Dave Daly » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:06 am

Looking forward to our 24 hour "enduro" plane ride down to Argentina in a couple of months. : P
Dave Daly

Postby Dragger » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:33 am

Congratulations Deb!
Dragger

Postby HandjamMasterC » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:58 am

Looking forward to our 24 hour "enduro" plane ride down to Argentina in a couple of months. : P

Ya, that's a fun one too!! :shock:
HandjamMasterC

Postby Deb » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:40 pm

Dave Daly wrote:Looking forward to our 24 hour "enduro" plane ride down to Argentina in a couple of months. : P

The sketch pad will be in full force Dear!

This past weekend...now that I am recuperated and can nearly think straight...Dave and I spent at Lake Mead for my "surprise distance" Las Vegas Triathlon. Having registered for it 2 months ago, I thought I knew the typical distance of an Olympic course would be the same, but noooooooo.....a couple hundred meters into the swim, I realized that it was 1500 meters, not 1000, and into the rising sun. Pretty difficult to see the buoy with this set up. :?
Bike course was 40K vice 30K that I had originally thought, but I'm good for that any day; it was rolling hills with an 8% grade....no sweat....really, I was still slightly wet from my swim.
And the run....well, 10K is 10K except in your mind with long steady inclines and gravel in your shoes.
All in all, I finished 2nd in my age group, ("Decrepit Old Bats") and vowed to train smarter. :D
Deb

Postby Deb » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:42 pm

HandjamMasterC wrote:Congratulations on your 20 year retirement coming up Deb!

Thanks Craig and Carolyn. I am sooooo ready!!! :lol: .....to be unemployed......
Deb

Postby nefarius » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:11 pm

Deb wrote:a couple hundred meters into the swim, I realized that it was 1500 meters, not 1000, and into the rising sun. Pretty difficult to see the buoy with this set up. :?
Bike course was 40K vice 30K that I had originally thought, but I'm good for that any day; it was rolling hills with an 8% grade....no sweat....really, I was still slightly wet from my swim.
And the run....well, 10K is 10K except in your mind with long steady inclines and gravel in your shoes.
All in all, I finished 2nd in my age group, ("Decrepit Old Bats") and vowed to train smarter. :D

I think that's BadAsssssss™ Seriously more demanding and harder than climbing. At least for me it would be. I haven't ran in years and couldn't imagine running 10K at this point. I swam competitively for 10 years and could still probably get through the 1500 meters ok, but combining that with a 40K bike ride AND a 10K run?! Nice! That's proud, Deb!

Congrats on your retirement too!
nefarius

Location: 1 1/2 hours from the ditch!, California, United States

Postby Dave Daly » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:52 pm

Deb wrote:
Dave Daly wrote:Looking forward to our 24 hour "enduro" plane ride down to Argentina in a couple of months. : P

The sketch pad will be in full force Dear!

This past weekend...now that I am recuperated and can nearly think straight...Dave and I spent at Lake Mead for my "surprise distance" Las Vegas Triathlon. Having registered for it 2 months ago, I thought I knew the typical distance of an Olympic course would be the same, but noooooooo.....a couple hundred meters into the swim, I realized that it was 1500 meters, not 1000, and into the rising sun. Pretty difficult to see the buoy with this set up. :?

Everytime I see Deb out on a tri course, it makes me think of the first time I witnessed her run for competition (and for fun!) at a race in Australia. There's this prideful feeling that comes over me, knowing she gives her absolute all out there. Same goes with how she lives her life, whether that's at work or at home. As a Marine, she's a dedicated leader who has the best interest of her young Marines in mind first. I enjoy getting to know her each day! Deb is kick ass!!

Proud of you Babe!! :D
Dave Daly

Postby nefarius » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:36 pm

You *do* realize you're technically in breach of copyright, posting that photo of the Eiffel with it's lights on, Craig? :lol: As stupid as it is, it's actually true.
nefarius

Location: 1 1/2 hours from the ditch!, California, United States

Postby HandjamMasterC » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:54 pm

I don't care - I like the photo - it looked just like that when we were there!!
HandjamMasterC

PreviousNext

Return to General