Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Humphreys Peak Info

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Humphreys Peak Info

Postby beaudittl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:17 am

Hey all. In May, I'm going to be in the Flagstaff area and before I head to do the Grand Canyon would like to get in as much hiking as possible. The first thing that caught my eye was an ascent of Humphreys Peak. From what I've read thus far, I'm thinking of using the Inner Basin Trail as to avoid the big crowds but also have a decent length hike. I have quite a bit of experience in the ADKs of NY, but what I'm wondering is what is this trail like? Is it quite technical or generally a walk-up? Real exposed? etc etc. Any info would help and is much appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance guys. Happy Trails!
beaudittl

Re: Humphreys Peak Info

Postby eferesen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:09 am

Inner basin trail is closed after the fire last year. Not sure when it will open. The IB trail is straight forward. Just a walk up to Humphreys. You can however start of at Kichana trail, then join Weatherford and all the way up to Humphreys and take the regular trail back, but that makes for long day. Almost 20 miles. Wonderful loop. Done a bunch of times. You may encounter snow on the Weatherford trail. We haven't had a lot of snow this year (yet). The Grand Canyon might be hot at that time of the year. You can check out Hermit Trail (desolate), South Kaibab or Bright Angel (crowded as hell).
eferesen

Postby Clark_Griswold » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:19 pm

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/nepa/forest-orders/04-10-13-f.pdf
The IB has been omitted from a revised Schultz Burn Closure and it was changed last month, probably to allow back country skiers access to the area when it is snow covered and partly because the FS has no way of enforcing the closure area in winter apart from gates and human laziness. The current closure expires 4/30/11.

The Inner Basin Trail is a TRAIL and a walk up, there is nothing technical about it. There is no exposure on the Peaks on trails. There might be some snow covering the higher northeast facing slope along the Weatherford Trail on the side of Agassiz, but that's as much as you might see. An ice axe is the most you would need. We have not had a lot of snow this winter, and we likely will not as it is a La Nina. January has been dry and it looks to continue that way. check back in late March to see how things turn out. The Kachina Weatherford is a good alternative to the regular Summit Trail, but May is still early for the crowds on the Peaks as the valley dwellers are not yet coming up to Flagstaff to escape 115 degree temperatures.
Clark_Griswold

Postby beaudittl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Leghorn, just so I am clear, are you saying the IB will be open for use after April? And as for the Humphrey Trail, how is that? If I had to resort to using it does that have any technicality to it?
beaudittl

Postby lcarreau » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:15 am

The Humphreys Trail DOES NOT require any technical ability, except for an ice axe when it's completely snow-covered..

If you check back in March, you'll get a better outlook for any weather lasting into May.
lcarreau

Postby Clark_Griswold » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:23 am

It is uncertain a this point. The USFS originally had the Schultz Fire closure expire back in September. For several days there was no word from them. On another website, someone posted that they had called one of their offices and the staff their was ignorant of the closure expiring. Shortly there-after, a new press release, post dated to about a week before the then present date, was posted to the Coconino NF website. It extended the closure to the end of the year when it was then superseded by the current amended closure. It would be nice if we knew what was going to happen, but they will probably keep some of the closure in effect and may extend it to include the Inner Basin Trail again. This has more to do with the access road itself and the threat of it being washed out than anything else such as the trail having issues from the fire. Humphrey is fine, but it is too early to know what it will look like in May. The trail has been done by grandmothers, so there is nothing technical about it.
Clark_Griswold

Postby lcarreau » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:14 am

Mr Leghorn wrote:The trail has been done by grandmothers, so there is nothing technical about it.

lcarreau

Postby Clark_Griswold » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:44 am

I guess I should have said non-hand standing, fairly out of shape and really taking their time grandmothers, probably with no prior technical experience.
Clark_Griswold

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)