Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

I am a hater

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Re: I am a hater

Postby CSUMarmot » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:35 am

I cant relate, but dont you mean

You are NOT a real sport climber if:
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris
CSUMarmot

Postby PellucidWombat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:45 am

Somehow that rant lists all of my stereotypes of sport climbers. Hehehehe - it's always fun to take one on an alpine climb (they burn out on the trail), crack, chimney or (my favorite) an offwidth! I can't get my lead card in the East Bay gyms but I've been leading 5.10a crack & 5.9 offwidth outside instead - good enough for me :-)
PellucidWombat

The following user would like to thank PellucidWombat for this post
aran

Postby Kiefer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:52 pm

Ok, I've seen these stupid, "I Love Haters" bumper stickers on cars a lot lately.
I honestly have no idea what the hell that means.
Could someone illuminate me?

I think I know what this means but I kinda doubt myself since it seems so moronically simple.
Thanks!
Kiefer

Postby Vitaliy M. » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:31 pm

I been to Thailand, but that involved a lot of beaver pumping, eating, drinking, sightseeing, and more beaver pumping. 0 climbing.

I think there is nothing wrong with being a sport climber, however. To each his/her own. Not everyone cares for a 5000ft approach through the snow to climb 2 pitches of chimney and an OW on some remote peak.
Vitaliy M.

Postby The Chief » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:45 pm

This dude is one of the Best "REAL" Sport Climbers ever to walk this planet. At the ripe age of 52 he completed a 5.14d ish Sport route that no one has been able to SA. He would definitely out class any aspiring alpinist here on SP, any. And would certainly out climb any SP alpinist in the alpine sitting, hands down....

BTW: He is a recluse, pretty much a Mad Man to say the least and doesn't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks of him!
The Chief

Postby Vitaliy M. » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:32 pm

anita wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:beaver pumping

TMI

You jelly? :lol:

IMO a climber is someone who doesn't care about what or how to climb, as long as it is a real challenge to self. If you look at the leading climbers of today you will see that the climb everything and anything. They boulder, trad climb, solo, sport climb, whatever...

Tommy Caldwell (the guy who free climbed the nose and a lot more on el cap. his current project will arguably be the hardest big wall to go free in the world if he sends it) started as a boulderer and boulders all the time. I think he could own any of the people on this site on an OW (maybe not the one in SFPG, wombat got him beat there).
Vitaliy M.

Postby Marcsoltan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Got into sport climbing in my mid 40s to mid 50s. One of my sport climbing buddies, half my age, told me not to drink fresh squeezed orange juice because it had too much sugar. I told him the day that I think fresh squeezed orange juice is bad for me is the day I quit sport climbing. I don't sport climb any more, but I drink fresh squeezed oj as often as I can.
Marcsoltan

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Sport ice climbing is where it's at.
MoapaPk

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:00 pm

MoapaPk

Postby Vitaliy M. » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:02 pm

anita wrote:V: I guess you've never heard this line:

Sport climbing is neither

;)

I heard this line many times. But I would rather sport climb than not climb at all. However, I do not sport climb.
Vitaliy M.

Postby CClaude » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:04 pm

So I must be a closet sports climber even though the last sports climb I did was on the beach in Sardinia. I hate to say that I know the difference between .12b and .12c and will argue the point on a regular basis. My last rope is being retired because of falls (except I know that I need to do more of it to get better so I am doing some "flight school" at the local gym.)

I also like taking young sports climbers onto trad climbs. We corrupt them early and after teaching them the basics of jamming, throw them on 5.12 and 5.13 cracks, single and multi-pitch, right away. Some of them also want to ice climb.
CClaude

The following user would like to thank CClaude for this post
Vitaliy M.

Postby CClaude » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:20 pm

borutbk wrote:
Marcsoltan wrote:Got into sport climbing in my mid 40s to mid 50s. One of my sport climbing buddies, half my age, told me not to drink fresh squeezed orange juice because it had too much sugar. I told him the day that I think fresh squeezed orange juice is bad for me is the day I quit sport climbing. I don't sport climb any more, but I drink fresh squeezed oj as often as I can.

I like the story. I can just imagine the conversation.
I'd always carry black chocolate on my gigs. They started even laughing at it. Years later the docs said you need that type of anti-oxidants.

Thanks for not dissing on chocolate. I carry it everywhere, work, climbing. I'd even bring it to bed and in the shower except it just gets all over the place. If I could figure out how to get a chocolate IV (intervenous) drip, I would.
CClaude

Postby Marcsoltan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:46 pm

CClaude wrote:
borutbk wrote:
Marcsoltan wrote:Got into sport climbing in my mid 40s to mid 50s. One of my sport climbing buddies, half my age, told me not to drink fresh squeezed orange juice because it had too much sugar. I told him the day that I think fresh squeezed orange juice is bad for me is the day I quit sport climbing. I don't sport climb any more, but I drink fresh squeezed oj as often as I can.

I like the story. I can just imagine the conversation.
I'd always carry black chocolate on my gigs. They started even laughing at it. Years later the docs said you need that type of anti-oxidants.

Thanks for not dissing on chocolate. I carry it everywhere, work, climbing. I'd even bring it to bed and in the shower except it just gets all over the place. If I could figure out how to get a chocolate IV (intervenous) drip, I would.

Now, that's an idea for an inventive mind, chocolate IV.
Marcsoltan

Next

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander