I climbs. I climbs up high. You wants climb?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
woodsxc

I climbs. I climbs up high. You wants climb?

by woodsxc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Went down to Warrenville on Sunday. Spent the afternoon climbing with drjohnso and one of his friends. They were really great and took time to belay me up the easier stuff. Thanks for letting me tag along, I had a blast.

I think we should do an SP Midwest gym climbing day. It adds a little more flexibility for those with tight schedules. I know this would effectively limit it to the Chicago-area people, but it would be easier than trying to find a decent weekend to go climb rock. Anybody wanna try to get a group together for an afternoon of indoor climbing?

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:54 pm

U wants impress dis crowd u gots do free solo acros teh ceiling.

ksolem wrote:
truchas wrote:
woodsxc wrote:In other news, I climbed a 5.9+ in the gym today.

Don't let The Chief see that, he'll call you a puss. :lol:

If your best in a climbing gym is 5.9 (fuck the "+") then you are a puss, a whole puss and nothing but a puss.

The Chief wrote:A 5.9+ in the Gym?

WTF is that?

The Gym Wanna-Be's are now reverting to the Old Skool Rating System to make themselves feel, bonafide?

GTFOH!

Now get out of the Gym and climb either one of these dudes real 5.9+'s.....

If you can do that, than you are NO puss!

mstender

by mstender » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:10 pm

I would genrally be interested in it. Why does it have to be Chicago? Why not Milwaukee? :lol: I might be able to come down to Chicago but it requires a little bit of planning on my side since it's a 2 hour drive for me.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:15 pm

nono john i not tryin to impresses dis crowd. i tryin ta impress me. teh chief neber gonna be impressed til i free solos "teh nose" but that not concern. i onlee gone climbin twice dis year and onlee once a year most other times. i n00b in big way.

But seriously, I'm open to doing the SPMWICE (SummitPost MidWest Indoor Climbing Extravaganza) wherever. Mstender, is there something in Kenosha that's decent? I suggested Vertical Endeavors because it's got a lot of ropes and seemed to be a pretty good gym.

I do love some good lolspeak. :D

mstender

by mstender » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:51 pm

woodsxc wrote: Mstender, is there something in Kenosha that's decent?

I am not sure about Kenosha. I have gone to Adventure Rock in Pewaukee.

outofstep80

Re: I climbs. I climbs up high. You wants climb?

by outofstep80 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:27 pm

woodsxc wrote:Went down to Warrenville on Sunday. Spent the afternoon climbing with drjohnso and one of his friends. They were really great and took time to belay me up the easier stuff. Thanks for letting me tag along, I had a blast.

I think we should do an SP Midwest gym climbing day. It adds a little more flexibility for those with tight schedules. I know this would effectively limit it to the Chicago-area people, but it would be easier than trying to find a decent weekend to go climb rock. Anybody wanna try to get a group together for an afternoon of indoor climbing?

Doug is a good guy, pretty laid back and patient. We hit up the lake a few times this year. Who says the lake has to be out for the year??? Winter climbing anyone?

How is the gym in Chigacgo? The one in Milwaukee is pretty nice. I'm just sayin.

Come to think of it Doug was belaying me in my profile pic. He kept making fun of me until I would finally lead some shit...not really but he definitely gave some encouragment.

no avatar
alpinejason

by alpinejason » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:02 pm

i'd be in. but i'm not driving to Milwaukee when we have tons of gyms around here. i only drive for natural/outdoor rock, not the fake stuff. maybe they can have their own...

i was at VE on sunday too. too bad we don't know each other, otherwise we could have hung out!

mstender

by mstender » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:16 pm

outofstep80 and me are having a SP Midwest, Milwaukee section, climbing outing every once in a while at the gym in Milwaukee. Really nice place! We sure would not mind if you guys from Chicago drop by. :lol:
Howie, maybe we could get it together and drive down to Chicago sometime?

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:35 pm

mstender wrote:outofstep80 and me are having a SP Midwest, Milwaukee section, climbing outing every once in a while at the gym in Milwaukee. Really nice place! We sure would not mind if you guys from Chicago drop by. :lol:

I would probably be game for that. Could maybe make a weekend of it. Maybe do some ice climbing one day and hit the gym up the next. I think ya'll have some nice ice climing areas near Chicago...maybe?

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:52 pm

outofstep80 wrote:
mstender wrote:outofstep80 and me are having a SP Midwest, Milwaukee section, climbing outing every once in a while at the gym in Milwaukee. Really nice place! We sure would not mind if you guys from Chicago drop by. :lol:

I would probably be game for that. Could maybe make a weekend of it. Maybe do some ice climbing one day and hit the gym up the next. I think ya'll have some nice ice climing areas near Chicago...maybe?

Starved Rock? I believe Alpinist is the guy in the know for Chicago-area ice.

grabbs146

starved rock

by grabbs146 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:51 pm

Starved Rock is the only place I know of in the chicago area that has climbable ice. Also The ice doesn't come in every year and when it dose you had better get there fast before the rest of the chicago area does.

mstender

by mstender » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:06 pm

outofstep80 wrote:Maybe do some ice climbing one day and hit the gym up the next. I think ya'll have some nice ice climing areas near Chicago...maybe?

Dude, do you HAVE to talk about ice already?! It's still in the 40's. That crap is going to come soon enough. :D

drjohnso1182

Re: I climbs. I climbs up high. You wants climb?

by drjohnso1182 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:07 am

woodsxc wrote:They were really great and took time to belay me up the easier stuff. Thanks for letting me tag along, I had a blast.

Glad you had a good time. You may have noticed that we weren't exactly flying up those easy routes either.

outofstep80 wrote:Who says the lake has to be out for the year??? Winter climbing anyone?

Yes. I'll work on figuring out how to rack a broom.

outofstep80 wrote:Come to think of it Doug was belaying me in my profile pic. He kept making fun of me until I would finally lead some shit...not really but he definitely gave some encouragment.

I wanted someone else to enjoy those 5.4 overhangs as much as I did.

alpinejason wrote:i was at VE on sunday too. too bad we don't know each other, otherwise we could have hung out!

There's a good chance we have some mutual acquaintances. I'll send you a PM.

outofstep80 wrote:Could maybe make a weekend of it. Maybe do some ice climbing one day and hit the gym up the next. I think ya'll have some nice ice climing areas near Chicago...maybe?

You're both welcome to crash at my place (after the carpeting and painting are done...and I get some furniture...), but Starved Rock isn't really a destination crag; I mean, it's not going to make the cover of Climbing magazine. How about this: we'll promise to pick you guys up when we head north to go ice climbing if you promise to pick us up when you head south to go rock climbing, and if the weather is no good for either, we'll all meet near Milwaukee and hit some strip clubs.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:40 am

strip clubs? now we're talking

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:28 am

Only problem with Milwaukee is they are topless only. Anyone know about the surrounding area? Anyone?

The ladies are nice though.

Next

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)