Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

i got mountains on the brain

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Re: i got mountains on the brain

Postby lcarreau » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:39 am

MikeTX wrote:so, i’m flat broke for the rest of the year ... and thinking about winchell.

Sorry, the only "winchell" I know of is "Winchell Donuts."

8)

"I won't be taking any train,
I'll bum a ride today, from someone goin' my way.
I've got the mountains in my eyes,
A rainbow in my pocket, I was bringing to you ..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJm9aZIkq2g
lcarreau

Re: i got mountains on the brain

Postby MarkDidier » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:28 am

MikeTX wrote:no more trips to the mountains for me for a good long while...so what’s on your brain?

What's on my brain???
28 days til a short weekend trip to the Smokies...
47 days til a 4 day trip to the Blue Ridge...
105 days til a week in the Maroon Bells... but who's counting.

I live in the flatlands of Indiana...I feel your pain!!!
MarkDidier

Postby peladoboton » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:03 pm

20 days until i hit alaska and see what my training has done
22 days until i see if my near-antique feathered friends parka is worth what i paid
30+ days until i call my wife from a sat phone and say 'holy crap i miss you guys'
30++ days until i eat a burger in talkeetna, basking in the feeling of clean clothes after a hot shower
30+++days until i lay limp in front of a disney movie with my kids, wondering why i do those things to myself
peladoboton

Postby goldenhopper » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:40 pm

MikeTX wrote:
Dougb wrote:Hey man, I feel for you. I checked out the map where you live and there's little relief. Here's a couple of ideas: Try running (jogging) or cycling as an alternative to hiking or climbing.

yeah, doug. there is no relief - for many miles. i'd move out west in a heartbeat, but my family just isn't with me on that one. so, i make do. there is actually some pretty decent rock climbing about 4 1/2 hours from here. i've been up there once already. prolly gonna go check it out again in a few weeks.

super nice photos guys. thx for the stoke!

If you need me to send a "Living in California" endorsement to the wife, let me know Mike. Santa Clarita real estate is as low as it's been in some time and remember what I told you about the schools here. I'm 3.5 hours from the east side and 3.5 hours from the west side. Less than an hour to the San Gabs and Los Padres and at least a dozen hikes within 30 minutes. I think the only other major town with those kind of numbers year round is Bakersfield, but you'd be forced to live close to guys like BIADH. There are always trade-offs. :wink:

Rob, great photos of the area!!!
goldenhopper

Postby butitsadryheat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:42 pm

NancyHands wrote:
MikeTX wrote:
Dougb wrote:Hey man, I feel for you. I checked out the map where you live and there's little relief. Here's a couple of ideas: Try running (jogging) or cycling as an alternative to hiking or climbing.

yeah, doug. there is no relief - for many miles. i'd move out west in a heartbeat, but my family just isn't with me on that one. so, i make do. there is actually some pretty decent rock climbing about 4 1/2 hours from here. i've been up there once already. prolly gonna go check it out again in a few weeks.

super nice photos guys. thx for the stoke!

If you need me to send a "Living in California" endorsement to the wife, let me know Mike. Santa Clarita real estate is as low as it's been in some time and remember what I told you about the schools here. I'm 3.5 hours from the east side and 3.5 hours from the west side. Less than an hour to the San Gabs and Los Padres and at least a dozen hikes within 30 minutes. I think the only other major town with those kind of numbers year round is Bakersfield, but you'd be forced to live close to guys like BIADH. There are always trade-offs. :wink:

Rob, great photos of the area!!!

:twisted:

I have a jose garcia that lives down the street from me too!

Bakersfield is almost like Houston. Oil, rednecks, flat land...

although no bugs, no swamps, and we have hills within 20 minutes of downtown

We're positioning ourselves for the high speed rail between LA and San Franscisco, and trying to attract the maintenance/engineering facility here as well. The air quality is at least as good as Houston too! :lol:
2.5 hours to the East side, 2 hours to Sequoia, 2 hours to the beach, 2 hours to LA, etc...

http://www.trulia.com/property/1077617699-13223-Milan-Dr-Bakersfield-CA-93306
butitsadryheat

Postby goldenhopper » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:21 am

Catamount wrote:
butitsadryheat wrote:We're positioning ourselves for the high speed rail between LA and San Franscisco, and trying to attract the maintenance/engineering facility here as well. The air quality is at least as good as Houston too! :lol:
2.5 hours to the East side, 2 hours to Sequoia, 2 hours to the beach, 2 hours to LA, etc...

Hey man, I actually thought Bakersfield was a pretty good location when I drove through it on my way from SF to Whitney last year. Not exactly rural, not exactly metro, but close to many different kinds of activities.

Yeah, but you didn't stop at Wal-Mart. :lol:

Kidding aside, I actually like Bakersfield. I've spent quite a bit of time there and it grows on you. They have a good health food market and a $1.00 movie theatre in the same shopping center... All you need IMO. :D
goldenhopper

Postby dskoon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:09 am

NancyHands wrote:
Catamount wrote:
butitsadryheat wrote:We're positioning ourselves for the high speed rail between LA and San Franscisco, and trying to attract the maintenance/engineering facility here as well. The air quality is at least as good as Houston too! :lol:

Hey man, I actually thought Bakersfield was a pretty good location when I drove through it on my way from SF to Whitney last year. Not exactly rural, not exactly metro, but close to many different kinds of activities.

Yeah, but you didn't stop at Wal-Mart. :lol:

Kidding aside, I actually like Bakersfield. I've spent quite a bit of time there and it grows on you. They have a good health food market and a $1.00 movie theatre in the same shopping center... All you need IMO. :D

I think I'd hate life pretty hard if I lived in Bakersfield. But, truth be told, I haven't been there in a couple of decades. Probably improved some, but, still. . .
And those two hour distances to all those cool places? It'd take you two days, easy, to clear your lungs out from all that Bakersfield air.
Sorry to rag on anyone's home, but. . .
dskoon

Postby butitsadryheat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:48 am

But you could handle LA? :lol:

How far does your money go in Portland?
butitsadryheat

Postby dskoon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:37 pm

No, I wouldn't really want LA, either; been there, done it. 'Course, so much depends on the location down there. . .
How far does my money go in Portland? Probably further than it would go in LA. . . though, maybe not quite as far as it would in Bakersfield. I'd imagine Bakersfield isn't exactly cheap, though.
dskoon

Postby butitsadryheat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:45 am

My local school district didn't lay anyone off, and is in a growing area of town. They pay reeeaaaalllly well too. :wink:

You can find a way. Children are very resilient too. (that house I linked to is 5 minutes to the Kern River Canyon, and 2 hours to Lone Pine) and 25 minute commute to my side of town, where the school district that I speak of is located.
butitsadryheat

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander