Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

i got mountains on the brain

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.

Postby dskoon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:14 am

MikeTX wrote:
Catamount wrote:Also, just as a small tip, suggesting that you are going to move anyway in the hopes that the rest of the family might eventually join you ... really bad idea. :oops:

haha! been there, done that.

the question was, "well, what if i just got a job and moved?"

<crickets>

"nevermind."

:lol: That's funny.
dskoon

Postby butitsadryheat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:59 am

Catamount wrote:Funny thing is, the more trips that I do, the less inclined I am to want to move from the East Coast. Love the west, no doubt, but now that a lot of the mystique has been taken out of it as a result of my travels, I kind of appreciate the things my own area has to offer a lot more. If I were Mike, I'd just keep doing trips (as time and money allow) for at least a few more years and see if the urge to move fades or builds. One partner in a marriage wanting to move and another wanting to stay put isn't a great equation and once you take the leap, you can't really go back. Kind of a no-win situation even if things are otherwise good.

Also, just as a small tip, suggesting that you are going to move anyway in the hopes that the rest of the family might eventually join you ... really bad idea. :oops:

Great points.
butitsadryheat

Postby drpw » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:48 am

I found a cheap road bike and every time i get the urge to be in the wilderness i jump on it and put down a good 30 miles or so. you get the same sort of feeling after a long bike as you do after a long hike, and i usually try to do it at night where there arent any cars and it almost feels like wilderness. Plus my legs are in insane shape now, as soon as i do get on a mountain i know ill be in such good shape.
drpw

Postby mvs » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 am

Mike I totally feel your pain, I grew up in and around Houston. It really can't get much worse! Going to the climbing gym (I remember one on the Katy freeway) might be a fun idea. Since even hiking around there is so terrible, you might move into more technical stuff. You might find a partner for a western dirtbag roadtrip too.

ps - get me an Antone's Po' Boy. That's the one restaurant I miss :lol:
mvs

Postby John Duffield » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Mike, many of us go through the child rearing years exactly as you're doing. Some National Parks, the occasional mountain etc.

The important thing to recognize, is this is a phase. The kids will get big and suddenly you'll go into your next life. So the over riding concern is for you to stay in shape. So when that time comes you go hit Kilimanjaro (my choice when our empty nest occured) or whatever pushes your buttons.

One problem I had when I was in the child rearing phase was I pushed my few trips to the limit. Needed to get X-Rayed nearly everytime I came back. Nevermind the spousal blowback it could've ended my ability right there. I still sometimes feel the arm I broke in '96 on a hang.

As far as my dream mountain? Hkakabo Razi. My info is it requires 35 days of approach, though Peakware says 4 weeks.

http://www.peakware.com/peaks.html?pk=916
John Duffield

Postby dskoon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:59 pm

MikeTX wrote:anyway, don't y'all have a mountain or a climb that you're obsessing about that maybe you just can't get to right now? the one that you daydream about while you're here summitposing?

Yep, too many. Obsessing and daydreaming all the time. . .
dskoon

Postby mvs » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm dreaming about the peak I almost climbed yesterday, but chickened out. The Lüsenser Fernerkogel. What a cool looking mountain! Here on the right:

I went up the glacier on skis, then a spur glacier. I forgot to bring ski-crampons or an ice axe, so when I saw a guy looking really sketchy trying to skin up a steep melting out snowfield to reach the upper glacier below the summit I said "no thanks." You know, the thing where you are moving the leg really slowly to get the ski up to a tiny nubbin of ice that will grip, the other ski just about to let go? Been there enuf :).

So I went for the consolation price, Lüsenser Spitze...a hundred feet lower but much easier to get to. The views there are nice too:

mvs

Postby butitsadryheat » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:01 pm

Sweet!

On the ptop photo, it looks as if there is a small avalanche about halfway up (or a fall of some sort (water/ice))
butitsadryheat

Postby dskoon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Nice pics of a nice place, Mvs!
Good work on getting out there. Mountains are in your backyard?
Yeah, looks like a few little slides as well. And, maybe a couloir or frozen waterfall there on the right?
dskoon

Postby rhyang » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Beautiful pics mvs ! I think I hate you 8)

A couple of routes I want to do -

Bear Creek Spire, North Arete
(have already done the NE Ridge)

Matterhorn Peak, North Arete
(have done the E couloir)
rhyang

Postby mvs » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks for the comments! Indeed those are avalanches, the icefalls around there are rotting out about now. I didn't even realize I captured an avalanche happening at that moment. All afternoon they were coming down.

For me the Sierras are the other side of the world. But while I'm thinking about it, I'll dream of the Mithral Dihedral. Mmmm!
mvs

Postby Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 am

You guys got mountains on the brain? Me?............

Sierra Ledge Rat

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander