Ice Climbing after Broken Foot

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
smiarowski

Ice Climbing after Broken Foot

by smiarowski » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Hey all...

I recently broke my 5th metatarsal and am in a boot for 6 - 8 weeks. I'll get out of the boot just in time for ice season, but I'm concerned about kicking ice on a freshly healed foot.

Anyone have any experience with this injury? How long did it take to recover?

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Ice Climbing after Broken Foot

by rgg » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:59 am

smiarowski wrote:Hey all...

I recently broke my 5th metatarsal and am in a boot for 6 - 8 weeks. I'll get out of the boot just in time for ice season, but I'm concerned about kicking ice on a freshly healed foot.

Anyone have any experience with this injury? How long did it take to recover?

I once broke my ankle and was in a cast for 6 weeks. The last three of those I walked regularly, with cast, to keep my leg muscles from withering away. As soon as the cast came off, I got physical therapy regularly and exercised a whole lot, both weight training and cardio. I put an ice pack on my ankle after exercising, because it swelled up. My therapist thought I was overdoing it, but it didn't hurt and I wanted to be in shape as soon as possible. For the leg exercises, I didn't use big weights yet, and for cardio, I did only low-impact. No running.

8 weeks later I went to the mountains and climbed alpine routes again, including some pretty steep ones. Some mixed routes, mostly glacier climbs. I climbed some ice, although not really steep, and also some very steep hard frozen snow. My ankle felt fine and didn't swell up anymore. It wasn't quite as flexible as the other one, but the difference was small, and I found it no problem with climbing.

Good luck on your healing process.
Rob

divnamite

Re: Ice Climbing after Broken Foot

by divnamite » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:29 pm

Broke mine a few years ago. I started climbing as soon as the boot was off. My left leg was weaker due to inactivity, and did got sored at the end of the day, but nothing I couldn't handle. I think if you have concern, maybe go with a stiffer boot and crampon combination.

The following user would like to thank divnamite for this post
smiarowski

Return to Technique and Training