Ice climbing after knee surgery

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Justin19

Ice climbing after knee surgery

by Justin19 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:33 am

My friend had knee surgery done on one of here knees in February of 2010. She was a avid rock climber but never got a chance to get into ice climbing. When I started out ice climbing I did bash my knees allot learning the foot work as I suspect most people do until you gain more experience. Spite doing better her knee still hurts after using it for a long time or hitting it. She isn't taking no for a answer on going out climbing so what could we do to help protect her knee at least a bit from impacts until she gets it?

Anyone use any knee pads while ice climbing? or suggest ones that could help?

fatdad

Re: Ice climbing after knee surgery

by fatdad » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm not sure what you're doing to bash your knee so much when ice climbing. I've suffered lots of bashed knuckles, a bloody nose from a falling ice shard but, as someone having had one of my knees rebuilt twice, I don't recall any knee bashing, or at least nothing big enough for me to remember afterward.

If it's that big of a concern, maybe a neoprene sleeve might help. Have her wear snowboarding pants maybe (since some have padded knees)? Personally, depending on where you climb, it sounds like the approaches might be a bigger issue with her knee. Advil/naproxen and some good conditioning to strengthen the joint will help lots there.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:38 pm

I also dunno what you could do to bash the knees. And I am a beginner myself. Are you climbing Ice off-widths? hehe You could suggest her to order same kind of knee pads that some rock climbers who climb a lot of chimneys and OWs get, if she also has that problem.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Go to the big box hardware store and buy knee pads with plastic armor. I had a pair when I worked construction and also wore them aid climbing. They were pretty cheap, much cheaper than the nearly identical ones marketed for tele skiing.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:53 pm

I bashed my knee pretty good once while doing really thin mixed climb on a top rope. The anchor was quite high so the 60 m rope was nearly all out.

When my feet blew out, I took a good drop as the rope stretched and I slammed my knee into the ice below.

Return to General