Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Image Reposting

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.

Re: When in doubt...

Postby RyanS » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:45 am

PeakAgitation wrote:The 15 year old SP'er obtained permission from the owner of the photograph and had apparently made that clear. He likely read and appears to have complied with SP section 2.17.

That's patently incorrect. While the member asked me to post his links on the 13ers page that Gareth and I maintain, he's not once asked permission of me or John Kirk and I presume this is also the case w/ SarahT.

Another thing that bothers me is the small image size of pics on John's site. While this is fine for John's site, they're really not up to snuff on SP. I have copies of the pics in question at much higher resolutions, and would gladly share them if I were asked.

EDIT: Just saw that Bob Sihler addressed this point, but I'll leave my post intact.
RyanS

Postby Bob Sihler » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:23 pm

FortMental wrote:
This is simple courtesy and integrity, something taught in grade school. It's not about being self-important.

Actually, it is, kind of. If photos were posted here with some manner of a Creative Commons License, we wouldn't have to sit around waiting for permission from the almighty owner to use a photo that could improve an informational page. In fact, if Wikipedia can do it.... Hell, so can I!

Well, we disagree. I can tell you speaking for myself that although I appreciate being asked, I don't mind if someone uses my picture without telling me first. What I would mind is, as this thread is about, taking someone else's picture and posting it through your own profile, attributed or not. You may think there's no difference, but I think there's a big one.

Edit: As far as the Wiki idea goes, I don't see SP having any trouble finding people who can contribute their own photos and information. The Additions and Corrections feature allows people to alert page maintainers of changes or other important information, and people can ask the Elves for permission to adopt abandoned pages.

If this were a Wiki-style site, imagine the battles over who displays what pictures where, whether a route is Class 3 or 4, etc. I don't think it would work well. I've heard things sometimes get intense and nasty on Wikipedia, and we don't need that here.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Postby RyanS » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:40 am

For the record, I've now received an apology. I'm going to work with Justin to get higher-res pics posted.
RyanS

Postby RyanS » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:53 am

PeakAgitation: I posted this thread first. I was going for the public shaming route (with the ancillary benefit of attracting SP Elf attention), but that was of course before I realized Justin's age.
RyanS

Postby mattpayne11 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:58 am

I think asking for permission before posting the photo makes the most sense.
mattpayne11

Previous

Return to Colorado