Info on Nuuk

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
maximlamare

Info on Nuuk

by maximlamare » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:16 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for information on Greenland. I've found information on skiing, but not much on climbing.
I am going to Nuuk for a couple of weeks in February for work. Is it worth me sticking my ice tools in my bag? Are there any easy couloirs I could solo on the mountains around or is there a climbing community in Nuuk? There is a mountain (Store Malene) on the outskirts of the town, does anyone know it?

Cheers,

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Info on Nuuk

by rgg » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Never been there, but I'd like to go there someday. I looked into it, a few years ago, but found that it was really expensive just to get there, and that sort of threw me off back then. If my boss had ever asked me if I would want a temporary assignment there, I would have packed right away! Since that's not going to happen, I'll have to pay for the trip myself. And if I do go, eventually, I won't chose February, because the daylight period will be short and temperatures very low. However, since work brings you there, I suppose you can't chose when to go.

From what I learned when looking into it, getting somewhere for a climb usually involves flying. I suggest that you ask the Nuuk Tourist Office about climbing options near Nuuk in February, as well as inquire about a local mountaineering club.

Cheers, Rob

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Never been there either but I tried the obvious (Wikipedia and Wikitravel.)

Details are a bit sketchy but Wikitravel describes a "hike" on Sermitsiaq, but from the photo it would appear that there's more challenging routes if you were to go looking for them.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

Broment

by Broment » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:31 am

I want to move there for good.

no avatar
maximlamare

by maximlamare » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:27 am

There should be light between 8 am and 4 pm according to my contacts. I don't have a choice of dates as I work on sea ice.
I will send an email to the tourist agency - thanks for the tip. It might be a squeeze as I will only have a couple of free days, but looking at pictures on Panoramio, it could well be worth taking my gear.

I'll keep you updated if anyone is interested.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:36 pm

Greenland trip reports and photos would be great!
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

Return to General