Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Is it winter?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: Is it winter?

Postby Josh Lewis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:36 am

Well... would you rather it be cloudy all the time? :wink:
My Websites: Alpine Josh · Alpine Ascent · AceMaps
Josh Lewis

Location: Lynnwood, Washington, The Cloudiest Place on Earth, United States

Postby Alex Wood » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:47 am

I don't know if anybody saw this, but this exemplifies how different of a snow year this is.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather- ... 2012-01-04

As others have already pointed out, there is still a good chance that things will change and they already are for northern Arizona. Storms are supposed to be rolling in over the next few weeks!
Alex Wood

Postby peninsula » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:40 pm

Alex Wood wrote:I don't know if anybody saw this, but this exemplifies how different of a snow year this is.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather- ... 2012-01-04

As others have already pointed out, there is still a good chance that things will change and they already are for northern Arizona. Storms are supposed to be rolling in over the next few weeks!

Interesting link, Alex. Thanks for sharing. It is amazing how volatile the weather is becoming in recent years! The current storm bearing down on California this week and into the weekend looks like a doozy, hopefully those mouse-rollover maps will look less impressive by this time next week!
peninsula

Postby Clark_Griswold » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:39 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens with this, as the totals have moved around and changed over the last few days. I guess we'll know by Monday, but even with 6 new inches of precip in the Tahoe/ central Sierra, there will still be a deficit of 6 to 8 inches over the last 60 days. Overall, it's hardly a drought buster considering CA's water usage, but it is a good storm, a good sign, and anything is something when there is nothing.
Clark_Griswold

Postby TimB » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Winter has hit here, it appears.
First snow I have seen since before Thanksgiving.
Spooky.
TimB

Postby lcarreau » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:48 am

TimB wrote:Winter has hit here, it appears.
First snow I have seen since before Thanksgiving.
Spooky.

lcarreau

Postby Princess Buttercup » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Still waiting here...

Princess Buttercup

Postby ExcitableBoy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:23 pm

It snowed over a foot where I live, 20 miles east of Seattle, over the last three days. 250,000 folks were without power, many do not anticipate having power restored for four more days. We went 24 hours without power so I feel lucky.
ExcitableBoy

Postby peninsula » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:27 pm

This latest system seems to be petering out towards the south. Initially, local forecasters were calling for up to 3 inches in the San Diego mountains, now it is down to an inch. Supposed to arrive tonight and be gone before Sunday... otherwise January is looking to be dry the remainder of the month. Bummer!
peninsula

Postby Clark_Griswold » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Well, even 1" ain't bad. Better than nothing. In most of AZ, we've basically had nothing since early December. I think it will stay that way. If we don't get a big storm in February, I suspect we won't get anything until monsoon season.
Clark_Griswold

Postby Marmaduke » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:41 pm

What's going on in The Sierra right now? A storm is going through and another behind this one. Shows 4 days of precipitation, but the storm is a bit warm. A mix of snow and rain, snow level at 7500 feet.
Marmaduke

Postby Princess Buttercup » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Raining in the town of Mammoth Lakes right now, whopping 1/2" accumulation reported by the Mountain at Main Lodge from overnight.

Light fuzz-out over Bishop Pass/Humphreys/behind Tom.

Otherwise, zzzzzzzzzz...
Princess Buttercup

Postby Bubba Suess » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:27 pm

I have about a foot of snow on the ground at my house, which is at about 4,000 feet. It is possible that a lot more than that came down but it was so windy that stuff didn't really stick for a while. Power stayed on but there were near white out conditions at time. There was a bad accident on I-5 between a tourist bus and a big rig. My two year old son had a blast sledding in our backyard. Tomorrow I am putting on the snowshoes and heading up the headwaters of the Sacramento on Mount Eddy.
Bubba Suess

Postby peninsula » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:28 pm

Lionel wrote:Well, even 1" ain't bad. Better than nothing. In most of AZ, we've basically had nothing since early December. I think it will stay that way. If we don't get a big storm in February, I suspect we won't get anything until monsoon season.

Absolutely, and inch does count for something. Still, at the current rate of precip, it is looking like a dry year. One dry year out of three is a vast improvement over what we had the previous dozen. Assuming this year remains dry, I'll keep up hopes for next year. Nothing like a wild and wacky El Nino!
peninsula

Postby Marmaduke » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:I have about a foot of snow on the ground at my house, which is at about 4,000 feet. It is possible that a lot more than that came down but it was so windy that stuff didn't really stick for a while. Power stayed on but there were near white out conditions at time. There was a bad accident on I-5 between a tourist bus and a big rig. My two year old son had a blast sledding in our backyard. Tomorrow I am putting on the snowshoes and heading up the headwaters of the Sacramento on Mount Eddy.

Isn't the Shasta area receiving different storm fronts than Tahoe, and Tahoe different than Yosemite and Southern Sierra?,

Sorry MooseTracks about your lack of snow :( and wonderful ice climbing photos with Kurt!!
Marmaduke

PreviousNext

Return to General