Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Is it winter?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: Is it winter?

Postby kylenicolls » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Means I don't regret selling my snowboarding gear at all. Probably wouldn't anyway, but from what I hear Mt. Shasta Ski Park and Willamette Pass still aren't open.
kylenicolls

Postby peninsula » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:33 pm

This year's La Nina has been true to predictions along most of the western US coast. If the pattern continues, the NW should get a reprieve with excessive rainfall the remainder of season, hopefully that will prove true. SoCal and the Sierra should remain unseasonably dry, hopefully that won't prove true! An interesting factoid about rainfall in SoCal (not the Sierra) is until the previous two years, we experienced the least rainfall over a 12-year period in past 500 years! Some say, the last few hundred years, the entire western US has been historically wetter than "normal", and we may now be entering a more "normal" period of much less rain. Factor in human influences, and one can just as well throw out all of the data. We have no idea where the climate is going, but all indications are for increasing volatility. Current weather patterns are like the Great Recession in that as of late, we having nothing to compare the likes of.
peninsula

The following user would like to thank peninsula for this post
lcarreau

Postby Snowslydder » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:21 pm

This season has been a dry one for sure. I am stationed in ventura(NAVY) and hoping for some snow. I already had 4 weekends of snowboarding in by this time last season. This season I have zero.... I had a trip planned for Tahoe but I just cancled it due to the lack of snow.

I really hope that the season rights it self so we can have a decent snowboard season followed up by a good spring climbing season.

I am climbing Mt Baldy tomorrow so if anybody knows some good snow/rain dances that I can perform at the top let me know.
Snowslydder

Postby goldenhopper » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Here's my buddy Darren explaining it all. If only he was wearing a tight sweater!

http://www.fox40.com/videobeta/d6fd58e7 ... M-FORECAST
goldenhopper

The following user would like to thank goldenhopper for this post
lcarreau, SeanReedy

Postby The Chief » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:51 pm

You guys are killing me!

Do your homework. Both the Arctic and North Atlantic Oscillations (both key players in our areas Winter weather and Precip values) have both been in a strong to very strong Positive Phase since early November. When combined in the Positive Phase, they will lock the cold Arctic Air up in the Arctic region. Thus the record snowfall in Alaska and dense sea ice in the Arctic region. Both have since shifted to a very strong Negative Phase as of last week.

Pandora's door is opening to the Northern/Central Cali hills. Be careful what you all wish for. According to a local Old Timer that has lived and Packhorse Guided here all his life, he mentioned that the last time this happened in 87, it started to snow then rain etc the last week of January and did not stop for 58 days.

Me, I am loving the mild weather we have had up on the Eastside. After the past five seasons of heavy record snowfalls, it has been a welcome change.

It has also verified the stupidity within the many California Water Districts for not creating more reservoirs to hold the snow run offs over the past 50 or so years. Over 75% of last years record snow melt simply ran straight into the Pacific Ocean. I read an article last month concerning this dire issue. One primary reason the reservoirs are not being constructed.... environmentalist threatening litigation which the state has no money to fight.

Over and out.
The Chief

Postby Edgewood » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:33 pm

Glad to see you posting again Chief.
Edgewood

Postby peninsula » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Edgewood wrote:Glad to see you posting again Chief.

I'll second that! Chief has always been something of a weather officiando.
peninsula

Postby goldenhopper » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:35 pm

Well Ricky, if you would have watched my link you would have seen and heard I had just said what you wrote after my post. You're gettin' rusty Chief! :wink:

There's a new Chief in town!

Last edited by goldenhopper on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldenhopper

Postby The Chief » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Sorry. I DO NOT open up ANY link that contains "fox" in it. I do not want my computer to get locked up by a dumbass RW virus.

Over and out.
The Chief

Postby goldenhopper » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:53 pm

The Chief wrote:Sorry. I DO NOT open up ANY link that contains "fox" in it. I do not want my computer to get locked up by a dumbass RW virus.

Over and out.

Copy that, but this is a local Sacramento station news link. No need for alarm...
goldenhopper

Postby lcarreau » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:32 am

peninsula wrote: Factor in human influences, and one can just as well throw out all of the data. We have no idea where the climate is going, but all indications are for increasing volatility.

lcarreau

Postby lcarreau » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 am

goldenhopper wrote:Here's my buddy Darren explaining it all. If only he was wearing a tight sweater!

lcarreau

Postby SeanReedy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:33 am

SeanReedy

Postby MarkDidier » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Weather got you down? A little Stevie ought to cheer ya up...

MarkDidier

The following user would like to thank MarkDidier for this post
lcarreau, SeanReedy

Postby Bill Reed » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:05 pm

Thanks Mark, it gave me a little boost!! Reminded me of the video of this song with Stevie Ray "not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame" Vaughan playing in a wind driven downpour. Awesome!

Ain't much we can do about the weather other than talk about it.

Are we El Ninoing or La Ninaing?
Bill Reed

PreviousNext

Return to General