Jennie Lakes Suggestions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Denjem

Jennie Lakes Suggestions

by Denjem » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:07 pm

I am going to the Jennie Lakes Wilderness. I have read the info on the site but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for climbing out there? Class 3 at the most. Or any suggestions for side trips off the Jennie Lakes Loop? Thanks.

colinr

Re: Jennie Lakes Suggestions

by colinr » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:00 pm

Class 3 climbing/scrambling can be had by going to Jennie Lake and then heading up toward the peak above the lake. Here is my description from the summit log: "Summited Peak 9612 (Jennie Peak) after reaching and walking around Jennie Lake. I hiked down from the peak off-trail heading toward Poop Out Pass (a shorter route to/from the trailhead if peak bagging is a priority over reaching the lake)."

I suspect you would find similar situations above other lakes, such as Weaver, and could even hit some interesting terrain traveling cross-country between Weaver Lake and Jennie Lake.

Bascuela

by Bascuela » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:52 pm

Not sure if the road to Big Meadow is open yet. Lots of snow this year. In fact last year this time (beginning June) the road was not open as well. Big Meadow was a big lake.

MiguelVieira

by MiguelVieira » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:18 pm

There's a peak, mentioned by SeanReedy, on one side of the lake that's a straightforward scramble with sweet views from the top.

Here's the trip report from my Jennie Lakes backpack with more details.

I did an out-and-back from the lake, but you can also go to the top then come down the other side to make a loop.

Denjem

by Denjem » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:24 pm

I emailed the forest service for a conditons report, but does anyone here have that info? I have found SP to be more helpful than most rangers. And thank you to all who responded.

Bascuela

by Bascuela » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Denjem wrote:I emailed the forest service for a conditons report, but does anyone here have that info? I have found SP to be more helpful than most rangers. And thank you to all who responded.

The Hume Lake Ranger station phone is 559-338-2251.

iHartMK

by iHartMK » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:16 am

Shell Mountains west face...

Return to California