Joshua Tree Guide Book

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Fletch

Joshua Tree Guide Book

by Fletch » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:18 am

Anyone have a suggestion for a guide book for rock climbing Joshua Tree? I'm looking for something that outlines routes in the 5.2-5.10 ish range... i'd love to get to 5.10 someday, but I don't have much ambition to get going much further than that. Therefore, I certainly don't need anything "expert" level or above... just something mellow for a couple of hacks out running 5.6-8's for a couple of nice weekends... trad/TR/sport whatever... thanks all!

Edit, just did a search... appears Randy Vogel's Rock Climbing Joshua Tree is the one to have... yes?

norco17

Re: Joshua Tree Guide Book

by norco17 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:28 am

Vogel's 92 edition is probably the best if you are going to have only one. The newer version is J-tree west and a separate j-tree east. Those would list newer routes, but the 92 version has enough to keep you busy for a lifetime.

This is a good one if you are only going there once.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Trad-Guide-Jo ... 0972441395

I just noticed you are in OC. If you plan on spending lots of time in j-tree then get one of the Vogel guides.

The following user would like to thank norco17 for this post
Fletch

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:51 pm

You can also download the Mountain Project App for free (thank you Black diamond) and get the JTree data pack.

The following user would like to thank DukeJH for this post
Fletch

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Given what you're looking for, there's a guide called something like 60 classics under 5.9. Maybe that's a better description of the guide than the title, but people seem to like it. If you could buy a copy of the older Vogel guide (before it got so big they had to split it into two volumes), that's a good resource as someone mentioned. Other than that, I have the Miramontes guide and it covers most of what you're looking to do. I've been climbing out there for 35 yrs., so if you need some route recommendations, just let me know.

The following user would like to thank fatdad for this post
Fletch

Return to California