Late season water near the Palisade Glacier

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
rhyang

Late season water near the Palisade Glacier

by rhyang » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:46 pm

I've never been to Gayley Camp in late season (ie. now), and wondering what the water situation usually is. Any suggestions that are relatively convenient to the U-Notch ? Hamik / Pavel / Justin -- didn't you guys head out onto the moraine somewhere last year when you did the V-Notch ?
Taaaake !

rhyang

Re: Late season water near the Palisade Glacier

by rhyang » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:31 pm

I'd rather avoid that tarn if possible -- it always looks like a significant loss of elevation to get down there and lots of talus hopping with a full pack. I also know Chief's secret spot, but that's kind of out of the way.

My left leg fatigues more quickly after a lot of talus scrambling. I know this time of year it's going to be hard to avoid .. just looking for some alternatives. Gayley Camp would be ideal if there is any water left.
Taaaake !

ChuckO

by ChuckO » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:24 pm

The times I've been up there late season (maybe not quite THIS late) is that there is enough run off from the snow field below Gayley, i.e. to the south and just a bit east of the bivy sites. Not a huge gusher, but enough to get what you need. Definitely recommend NOT going down to the large glacial lake, and NOT drinking from the small crudy pond just below the bivy sites. My $0.02.

The following user would like to thank ChuckO for this post
rhyang

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Rob..

PM Me and I will give you directions to one of my Secret Spots that has ample flowing water year round..

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:51 pm

ChuckO wrote:The times I've been up there late season (maybe not quite THIS late) is that there is enough run off from the snow field below Gayley, i.e. to the south and just a bit east of the bivy sites. Not a huge gusher, but enough to get what you need. Definitely recommend NOT going down to the large glacial lake, and NOT drinking from the small crudy pond just below the bivy sites. My $0.02.

Thanks Chuck ! Curious to know if anyone's been up there recently and knows how that water source is right now ..
Taaaake !

hamik

by hamik » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:40 pm

I've never actually been to Gayley Camp... maybe I'll finally make it out there this winter. Anyway, when we went last year we camped in a very narrow valley between the upper/left flank of the Palisade glacier and some cliffs to the north which presumably flanked an old glacier emanating from Thunderbolt/Winchell col. (37.10540350383447, -118.51003646850586). Take the left fork from Sam Mack meadow to get there. This site wasn't the best, though: water, yes, but no views and nasty morraine traversing to gain the glacier. It's marginally closer than Chief's spot (which is awesome). If you're on the glacier on a warm day, you can always find runoff on the surface.

The following user would like to thank hamik for this post
rhyang

asmrz

by asmrz » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:56 pm

hamik, there exists a very reliable water source below the Gailey camp. As you hike up the rib from Sam Mack Md. and just before you reach Galey camp, if you turn around and look down toward 3rd Lake, about 300-400 feet down there is a small creek that runs all year. I have used it when the Gailey Camp source (the tiny tarn up there) completely dried up (late August, September). Again, from Gailey Camp, descent about 300-400 feet in the direction of 3rd Lake and you'll find water. This is only doable if you are on the Gailey side, not on Palisade Glacier.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
rhyang

fossana

by fossana » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:13 am

rhyang wrote:I'd rather avoid that tarn if possible -- it always looks like a significant loss of elevation to get down there and lots of talus hopping with a full pack.

The tarn is also super silty. There's a ton of run-off on the glacier as of this weekend.

The following user would like to thank fossana for this post
rhyang

Hyadventure

by Hyadventure » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:52 am

I stayed in Gayley Camp last weekend. We melted from a large snow (ice) patch adjacent (50’) to camp. There were a couple trickles in the slabs approaching camp, but they were probably a 30 minute round trip from Gayley Camp. There is also a good sized tarn about 300’ vertical below camp where you can tank up approaching camp, but I’d want to filter that water.

Returning from Polemonium I found a couple trickles coming off snow patches in the basin and I was able to tank-up with 4 liters before returning to camp. It wasn’t easy; I had to move a few rocks, hack at the ice with my ax, dam the trickle with some dirt, and then pump from the tiny pond I created.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Last edited by Hyadventure on Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Hyadventure for this post
rhyang

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:24 am

Thanks BJ and everyone else. Hmm, probably best to save this one for summertime .. I'm not as strong as I used to be.
Taaaake !

Return to California