Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Lost climbers on Shasta updates

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Postby cleopatra » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:39 pm

Damn, I'm feeling really sad. Tom is new to the community here in Berkeley, but he struck me as the kind of guy you really want as a climbing partner. Helpful, kind, experienced, good-humored, down-to-earth, and enthusiastic. He is somebody I'd have tagged to go rescue somebody else, not the other way around.

I never realized HACE could progress so quickly and severely at "only" 14k.

Still holding out hope that they can get to Tom today, and that he still has a chance. I can't imagine being in Mark's position - I know he did everything he could for Tom. Staying with Tom for 2 days and 2 nights, dragging him into snow caves. Mark is someone I'd want as a partner if I were in trouble.
cleopatra

Postby Zzyzx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:02 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:As of this morning, the weather has significantly improved here in Mt Shasta; the bottom 2/3 of the mountain are clear of cloud. Hopefully this helps get rescue crews up there quickly.

That's good news. Let's hope for the best.
Zzyzx

Postby Luciano136 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:02 pm

cleopatra wrote:Damn, I'm feeling really sad. Tom is new to the community here in Berkeley, but he struck me as the kind of guy you really want as a climbing partner. Helpful, kind, experienced, good-humored, down-to-earth, and enthusiastic. He is somebody I'd have tagged to go rescue somebody else, not the other way around.

Still holding out hope that they can get to Tom today, and that he still has a chance. I can't imagine being in Mark's position - I know he did everything he could for Tom. Staying with Tom for 2 days and 2 nights, dragging him into snow caves. Mark is someone I'd want as a partner if I were in trouble.

I agree. Sounds like Mark made the right decisions. They need to get to Tom very soon!
Luciano136

Postby Diggler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:36 pm

cleopatra wrote:Damn, I'm feeling really sad. Tom is new to the community here in Berkeley, but he struck me as the kind of guy you really want as a climbing partner. Helpful, kind, experienced, good-humored, down-to-earth, and enthusiastic. He is somebody I'd have tagged to go rescue somebody else, not the other way around.

Very well said. I wouldn't have fathomed this happening before I heard about this. I saw Tom fly up his first ice lead a few weekends ago, and still am having a very hard time wrapping my head around the idea that altitude affected him as it did. Mark is experienced, strong, intelligent, resourceful, and the kind of guy you want as a partner when something goes wrong. We're thinking of both of you guys. Hang in there, Tom.
Diggler

Postby Bubba Suess » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:45 pm

It clouded up again very quickly in the last couple of hours and there is now very light snow falling down here at 3700'. Not looking good:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 042D74.DTL
Bubba Suess

Postby PellucidWombat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Dear everyone. I'm down safe and well.

I disagree with some of the important details in the news reports (regarding permits, weather advisories, and closures at the time of our departure) and will be responding to those as soon as appropriate.

While I'm touched by the outpouring of support from you all, in respect for Tom and his family, please limit your messages to me to be via e-mail or PMs for now. My phone battery is dead, so I won't be accessible by phone.

- Mark
PellucidWombat

Postby Bubba Suess » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:53 pm

Most recent reports do seem to indicate that Mark believed Tom was dead before he left him to hike down. Hope that is not the case. Still pulling for you, Tom.
http://www.redding.com/news/2010/mar/30 ... ta-rescue/
Bubba Suess

Postby Matt Worster » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:06 pm

Respectfully, somberly, here's to you both.
Matt Worster

Postby Vladislav » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:09 pm

My thoughts are with Mark and Tom.
Last edited by Vladislav on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vladislav

Postby Dave Dinnell » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 pm

:(
Dave Dinnell

Postby kamil » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:19 pm

My thoughts are with Tom wherever he is and with Mark.
Last edited by kamil on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kamil

Postby Sarah Simon » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:21 pm

To Mark and to the Family & Friends of Tom: Regardless of what this "JakeSnake" character has to say, you have the support of many of us in the SP community.

This is a trying time for you, I am sure - I wish you all the best.
Sarah Simon

Postby Luciano136 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:31 pm

From what I read over the past couple of days, Mark did the right thing and I feel for him and the family of Tom. This must've been a VERY hard thing to do.
Luciano136

Postby Rick B » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:39 pm

My best wishes to Mark, Tom, friends and family. Very sad to hear this.
Rick B

PreviousNext

Return to California