Lyme Disease...

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
no avatar
The Chief

Re: Lyme Disease...

by The Chief » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:52 am

MoapaPk wrote:
Fletch wrote:
The Chief wrote:Got two small 5-6mm cylinder indications on my inner rt thigh.

Yeah... ummm Chief... that might not be Lyme Disease...

Antibiotics will work for that as well.

Seriously, the bulls-eye (or just red area) is usually a lot larger than 6mm.

Interesting you say that.

The nurse immediately informed me that it looked fresh, 2 maybe 3 day old tick bite. Said that the generic "bulls eye" indication takes almost an entire month to present itself. Immediate treatment and all should be fine she said. Told me I am the 12th person this week to come with the symptoms.

Tigerlilly, thanks. The sore throat and wrist/joint pain sounds very familiar in this case. My hips are killing me!

adventurer

by adventurer » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:02 am

The Chief wrote:

"My hips are killing me"

Man, you're just getting old!!

Interestingly, Docs have always told me that it take about 24 hrs for an infected tick to transfer lyme to a person. That's why they emphasize daily self inspections but that can be impractical in the field. Other less serious tick borne illnesses can be transferred sooner.

Good Luck.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:23 am

Well, just make sure you get a LOT of antibiotics. I think if I remember correctly, I was on it for a good 6+ weeks.

I learned my lesson. Don't touch the buggers. Don't squeeze them. Don't oooh and ahhhh and look at them. They're toxic beasts that need respect.

Use tweezers only. Then sterilize the tweezers afterwards with a flaming gas torch set to a 12 foot high flame.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:47 am

The Chief wrote:Got two small 5-6mm cylinder indications on my inner rt thigh. Know all about that symptom.

I've had about 10 tick bites while in NV, almost always from brown dog ticks (hard shell). Each one has caused an inflammation up to 15 mm diameter. Most times I can just pull the buggers out with tweezers set near the head, then I wash the area off well with alcohol, then use antibiotic. The regurgitation of stomach contents is well below what one can reach with topical antibiotic, so maybe that is just wishful thinking. Once when the inflammation was lingering, the doc gave me a course of oral antibiotics.

I've never been bitten by ticks while I was wearing permethrin-treated clothes, even shorts and t-shirts.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:59 am

perma ... perme ...thrin.... huh?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:33 am

E.g.,
http://www.rei.com/product/768970

Spray it on the clothing (NOT your skin), let it dry completely. It will last through about 5 washings with detergent, before you need to treat again. In the west, treating your shorts, t-shirt and hat are often enough, since the ticks like to get away from open areas before they bite. If you just put a bit of DEET on exposed parts, you discourage them even more.

I have bought "Buzz-off" clothing with a longer-lasting treatment, but have worn the clothes to shreds.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 am

The Chief wrote:Got two small 5-6mm cylinder indications on my inner rt thigh.

Those darn gerbils fight back, don't they!

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:09 pm

The Chief wrote:Thanks Troy!

BUZ, did yur bones and joints aches something fierce??

How big was the red area when you initially noticed it?

Didn't have any aching bones or joints; mostly just had fever (up to 103) and chills. I think the red area was about 3 or 4 inches in diameter and bullseye shaped when I first noticed it; by the time I went to the doctor it had stabilized at about 4 inches and no longer had the bullseye look. The red area was warm to the touch. The doc never said it was Lyme disease, but said it might be and gave me an antibiotic that is supposed to be good for insect-borne diseases.

Deltaoperator17

by Deltaoperator17 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:04 pm

The Chief wrote:Got two small 5-6mm cylinder indications on my inner rt thigh. Know all about that symptom.

Nurse at the MMLH Family Clinic saw em this morning and scheduled me to see the Doc tomorrow along with a blood test. The only other physical symptom that I have noticed is some profound aches within my joints and bones. Specifically my hips and shoulders

As I figured, the nurse let me know that this a very common deal around these neck of the woods and shouldn't be a major deal if taken care of early as I am doing.

Too many folks ignore the obvious symptoms and get really really sick.

Rusty Gregory's Wife, the MMSA CEO, contracted it, waited too long and got really sick. She had to have both her hips replaced as it got into the joints and dissolved em. OUCH!

Go kicks its arse Rick, get rid of it.

Take care.

jmatthys

by jmatthys » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:16 pm

You'll be good after the antibiotics Chief.
I had a similar experience as Buz. Received a tick bite in the Sawtooths a few years ago. A day or two later, fever in 104 range, chills, upset stomach. Doc got me started on antibiotics for insect borne disease before the blood tests came back, I was fine in about a week. Never got a clear diagnosis, Doc seemed to think Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.

dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Fkin' Ticks! :evil:

Previous

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue