Many links in old posts do not work anymore

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
isostatic

by isostatic » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:57 pm

(I posted this message a few days ago, and then my thread suddently disappeared. As it was not offensive, I can only assume that one of Matt's scrips ate it like my archived PMs!) :o

We all know that there were empty places and even pages at the end of many old threads, due to posts being deleted when people left SP.

This has now been remedied, but a consequence is that links to older posts in many postings now are pointing to other posts than intended.

It is difficult to do anything about this now, but I post this to explain all incomprehensible links you find if you are looking at old posts.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Many links in old posts do not work anymore

by Bob Sihler » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:08 am

I deleted the thread a few hours after someone responded in yours and pointed out the thread for reporting bugs. The idea was to cut down on the multiple threads pointing out bugs and the like, and I figured (hoped) you'd had enough time to see the post.

Anyway, consider posting it in the other thread. It's in Site Feedback and has a sticky making it either the first or second thread.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

isostatic

Re: Many links in old posts do not work anymore

by isostatic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:13 pm

I think I have been slightly misunderstood.

Let me give you an example of what I was talking about:

In this post
who-was-he-t29220.html
there are links that are used by many Who was he participants, to check if their Who has appeared before. The links have worked for many years, but now, suddenly, they point to other posts in the thread. Hopefully, hansw will soon correct this, but the same thing must have happened in hundreds of other places.

Nobody expects Matt or the Elves to correct this, but my thread was to inform ordinary SP users of this fact.

As far as I know, the Post Bugs Here thread is intended to point to bugs that should be corrected by Matt of the Elves, and that is not the intention of this thread.

Montana Matt wrote:There were many threads that were deleted during the forum upgrade. This is a result of that and at this point there's no looking back.

This is correct, but this has always been the case, and was not the subject of my thread.

Bob Sihler wrote:I deleted the thread a few hours after someone responded in yours and pointed out the thread for reporting bugs. The idea was to cut down on the multiple threads pointing out bugs and the like, and I figured (hoped) you'd had enough time to see the post.

Anyway, consider posting it in the other thread. It's in Site Feedback and has a sticky making it either the first or second thread.

The polite thing to do would be to PM me and ask me to resubmit it in the other thread, or even move it yourself. By just deleting it, you left me unaware of what had happened.

Don't take my comments as criticism. I am very happy about the improvemts made by Matt, Bob, and the other Elves! :D

EDIT: The Who was he links have now been corrected by hansw. But there are still many links that don't work!

Return to Site Feedback