Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Members leaving left and right ..

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
 

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:
FRhoderick wrote:Folks leave, folks return................
Everyone has their reasons I suppose, why debate the issue?

Respectfully, fred


Life would be a bit dull without debate. In fact our government would end up just one giant orgy without it.

A big Republican church bathroom man-on-man orgy.


Marmaduke, what is your stance on this? Is it narrow or wide? Quit sitting there tapping your foot and tell us.


My stance is very narrow, and all the orgies I've been involved in have never had men invloved.

Boys aren't any better.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4210
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1216 times in 825 posts

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby PellucidWombat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:15 pm

On a serious note, I'm on SP a lot less for a few reasons:

1. Serious forum posts asking for beta or technique suggestions seem to devolve into a lot of trash talking, name calling, or off-topic information. I don't have thin skin about this, but it makes the forums less useful for me and I feel less inclined to contribute to threads. Instead I go to other websites where the forum posters are more open & supportive, or more knowledgeable about technical questions.

2. The site has been very slow to adopt some very useful features that are used on other sites for finding partners or organizing one's climbing history & aspirations. See MountainProject and Cascade Climbers to see what I mean. SP has much more thorough coverage of peaks, routes, etc. and could do similar things much better. I don't understand why the site doesn't leverage this strength.

3. I don't know if it is a change in the site membership or just my perspective as this matters to me more, but it seems as though there are fewer users that do technical climbing or they are less active these days. I still find SP great for info on hikes and scrambles, but when I start thinking about trad, aid & ice, I've been going to other sites for info, advice, & partners.
User Avatar
PellucidWombat

 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Berkeley, California, United States
Thanked: 48 times in 34 posts

The following user would like to thank PellucidWombat for this post
lcarreau, Luc

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby lcarreau » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Hmmm .... :D

When I got up (late) this morning and turned on my computer, I was definitely surprised to see this thread at the TOP of the heap.

And the (former?) member who likened me to residing in a "padded hospital cell" made me THINK for a moment.

Doesn't the majority (of us) who (somehow) get addicted to COMPUTER FORUMS (me included) find ourselves often LOST in a self-imposed prison of our own making, unable to escape ??? ?? ?

YEP, just what I thought .... this is a Free Choice issue, and we should be able to LAUGH and PLAY the game as we choose. However we choose ..

THANKS to all of you who participated in this forum.

Gotta go outside NOW to fertilize the daises and trim the petunias .. and feed the donkeys ...AND ... see ya ...

Image
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 922 times in 693 posts

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby fossana » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:08 pm

I have to agree with Mark here. Firstly, the route search feature on Mt Project is extremely useful.

Secondly, I find a decreasing amount of information on SP of use (versus MP). Not that it's perfect, but the point system on Mt Project is based on contributions not votes so there's more of an incentive to contribute content.
User Avatar
fossana

 
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:31 pm
Location: Bishop, California, United States
Thanked: 38 times in 31 posts

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby mrchad9 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:25 pm

fossana wrote:I have to agree with Mark here. The route search feature on Mt Project is extremely useful. I find a decreasing amount of information on SP of use (versus MP). Not that it's perfect, but the point system on Mt Project is based on contributions not votes so there's more of an incentive to contribute content.

The system here is largely based on contrbutions too, except that photos count too much as contributions. Way way too much actually. If you want an easy change, just make photos count 10% as much as they currently do. Makes sense to me.

A route page with a score of 86 is about 2.8 points, versus one with a 90 giving 3.4. Not much of a difference really considering the vote difference is 1 versus 40. Unfortunatelly, you need only submit 6 decent photos to equal what a route page is worth in the current point system.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4210
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1216 times in 825 posts

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
chugach mtn boy, lcarreau

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby Alpinist » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:29 pm

For me, missing beta = opportunity to create it. If you've done a technical climb that doesn't have a route page on SP, then CREATE one! That's your chance to rack up all those valuable SP Power Points.
User Avatar
Alpinist

 
Posts: 6008
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:21 pm
Location: Kildeer, Illinois, United States
Thanked: 672 times in 450 posts

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby PellucidWombat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:50 pm

The discontents of mine that I pointed out aren't a matter of content. For me it is more a matter of site versatility & organization of the existing information (easy fix?), and the makeup & attitude of the site members.

I've fallen behind on submitting new pages or informative maps & photos but hopefully I can find time this winter. I've just been climbing too much!
User Avatar
PellucidWombat

 
Posts: 1137
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:50 pm
Location: Berkeley, California, United States
Thanked: 48 times in 34 posts

The following user would like to thank PellucidWombat for this post
lcarreau

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby FRhoderick » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:02 am

Marmaduke wrote:
FRhoderick wrote:Folks leave, folks return................
Everyone has their reasons I suppose, why debate the issue?

Respectfully, fred


Life would be a bit dull without debate. In fact our government would end up just one giant orgy without it.


Life is dull without meaningful debate. Everyone gets to decide what is meaningful to them, in my case, I deemed what was on SP to not be as meaningful to me as going to the gym, going on long days in the mountains, or climbing tons of trad to get better. My choice.
User Avatar
FRhoderick

 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:30 am
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States
Thanked: 8 times in 6 posts

The following user would like to thank FRhoderick for this post
lcarreau

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:34 am

FRhoderick wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:
FRhoderick wrote:Folks leave, folks return................
Everyone has their reasons I suppose, why debate the issue?

Respectfully, fred


Life would be a bit dull without debate. In fact our government would end up just one giant orgy without it.


Life is dull without meaningful debate. Everyone gets to decide what is meaningful to them, in my case, I deemed what was on SP to not be as meaningful to me as going to the gym, going on long days in the mountains, or climbing tons of trad to get better. My choice.

Well that is your own fault. You haven't contributed anything to the content portion of the site, and though about half of your posts have good content that may help others, that is out of only 15.

If members want the site to have good content, they have to contribute it, either in the forums or as object pages. Just lurking and pulling the information they like doesn't help the site or others, and neither does whining that others should contribute more while they sit to the side.
User Avatar
mrchad9

 
Posts: 4210
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:01 am
Location: San Ramon, California, United States
Thanked: 1216 times in 825 posts

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
lcarreau

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby lcarreau » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:41 am

borutbk wrote:
lcarreau wrote:...AND ... see ya ...

No, don't!
C'mon Larry...


Oh, for cryin' out LOUD. I was just goin' outside for a little while; LATER returning to the warm and soothing GLOW of my computer.

Some of you "coffee mugs" are taking this thread WAY TOO SERIOUSLY .... but, thanks for your suggestions for improvement.

Image
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 922 times in 693 posts

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
chugach mtn boy

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby FRhoderick » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:26 am

mrchad9 wrote:
FRhoderick wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:
FRhoderick wrote:Folks leave, folks return................
Everyone has their reasons I suppose, why debate the issue?

Respectfully, fred


Life would be a bit dull without debate. In fact our government would end up just one giant orgy without it.


Life is dull without meaningful debate. Everyone gets to decide what is meaningful to them, in my case, I deemed what was on SP to not be as meaningful to me as going to the gym, going on long days in the mountains, or climbing tons of trad to get better. My choice.

Well that is your own fault. You haven't contributed anything to the content portion of the site, and though about half of your posts have good content that may help others, that is out of only 15.

If members want the site to have good content, they have to contribute it, either in the forums or as object pages. Just lurking and pulling the information they like doesn't help the site or others, and neither does whining that others should contribute more while they sit to the side.



Since I have been back you are right. I haven't contributed anything or taken anything of use. Yep, my fault by choice.
User Avatar
FRhoderick

 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:30 am
Location: Missoula, Montana, United States
Thanked: 8 times in 6 posts

The following user would like to thank FRhoderick for this post
rasgoat

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby CSUMarmot » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:23 am

I havent posted much lately since I'm terribly busy with college and hockey and all that, however SP is still a great (and pretty much only) place good for posting stuff people might actually see. This is the allure of joining SP.

People leave because they've covered pretty much everything they can and are left to diddle around in the forums. Things get said, your little girly ego gets stepped on and you decide to delete your pages.

OH YOU SURE SHOWED US!

IMO, most of the pages in my area are pretty useless, outdated etc. I try to make useful ones, but theyre all about obscure peaks that get 50 ascents a year. If I pulled my stuff, who would notice? Me deleting Triangle Mountain probably has no effect on most people, just like losing Knobacks pages were no skin off my bones. So why bother?

Seriously, its not like pulling your stuff serves as revenge, its just the final scream of your triumphant temper tantrum. Big deal, youre the one looking stupid, not us.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris
User Avatar
CSUMarmot

 
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 am
Location: Loveland, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 70 times in 46 posts

The following user would like to thank CSUMarmot for this post
lcarreau, Marmaduke, mrchad9, mvs

Re: Members leaving left and right ..

Postby TimB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:43 pm

lcarreau wrote:Hmmm .... :D

When I got up (late) this morning and turned on my computer, I was definitely surprised to see this thread at the TOP of the heap.

And the (former?) member who likened me to residing in a "padded hospital cell" made me THINK for a moment.

Doesn't the majority (of us) who (somehow) get addicted to COMPUTER FORUMS (me included) find ourselves often LOST in a self-imposed prison of our own making, unable to escape ??? ?? ?

YEP, just what I thought .... this is a Free Choice issue, and we should be able to LAUGH and PLAY the game as we choose. However we choose ..

THANKS to all of you who participated in this forum.

Gotta go outside NOW to fertilize the daises and trim the petunias .. and feed the donkeys ...AND ... see ya ...

Image


Damn, Larry!
I didn't realize your trunk was that long...
:shock:
User Avatar
TimB

 
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:15 pm
Location: Broomfield, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 42 times in 32 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.