Millet shells

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
s2kfire

Millet shells

by s2kfire » Mon May 21, 2012 7:26 pm

I have been looking at this shell for a Rainier Summit attempt in late August this year. Millet fitz roy http://www.millet.fr/en/products/spring ... tz-roy-jkt
Is this a good shell or is there something else (in the $100 range preferably) that may be better? I am not familiar with Dryedge or whatever fabric they use and cannot find any info on it. I am just concerned about how wind resistant this may be.

s2kfire

Re: Millet shells

by s2kfire » Wed May 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Anyone?

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Thu May 24, 2012 5:38 am

Looks a bit on the lightweight side to me.

I'd want something a little more bomb-proof. You can always use a light wind-proof softshell if it's too warm for a heavier parka.

s2kfire

by s2kfire » Thu May 24, 2012 11:50 pm

what about the millet trilogy gtx http://www.millet.fr/en/products/spring ... gy-gtx-jkt. Also looking at the Arc'tery theta SL.

no avatar
zoran

by zoran » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:34 pm

For the record: Rainier was climbed before in similar or less quality shells.
I see is 400$ for Trilogy and 100$ for Fitz Roy ... It's hard to compare this two jackets.

However, I would use Fitz Roy for my biking commute to work, not for Rainier.

Trilogy GTX is a new GTX Active Shell and it's amazing what they accomplished (390g for a fully featured mountaineering shell). To be successful on Rainier you have to pack light but not make mistake and leave something at home. Wind there is relentless and Trilogy will be great protection. Saving you made for not bringing heavier shell (300g) will pay of when you pack fully featured steel crampons 900g - 1000g.

I don't own Trilogy GTX but I have K Expert Evo GTX and its 680g. It's an excellent jacket and I love it. If I have some money I would buy Trilogy GTX and use it for all my Summer alpine (and for Rainier too).

s2kfire

by s2kfire » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:08 am

That sounds great. I picked up a marmot precip in case I had not heard a good review of millet. The precip is just a "get by" solution. But since the millet sound so amazing I may snag one since I am able to get a little bit of a discount right now. The precip sounds like a cheap but doable solution from what I've read. There are people out there climbing bigger badder mountains with cheaper equipment.

s2kfire

by s2kfire » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:21 am

My layering for august on rainier is this (tell me what you guys think)... Lightweight long sleeve moisture wicking thermal. Patagonia r1 hoodie. Millet trilogy gtx shell. And I will pack a midweight merino layer and a northface thunder 800 fill down coat for bad weather. Also an outdoor research balaclava. For bottoms I will wear thermals and Patagonia alpine guide pants. Is this good?

no avatar
zoran

by zoran » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:23 am

This is good.
I hope you will have a good weather window for your climb.
Don't forget serious gloves with the wrist string (secure string not to drop them) and spare wind proof gloves. Also ski goggles for up high, for very windy situation. Good headlamp is essential since you should have early start ...
Again bring "real" crampons (not aluminium ones) and good mountaineering axe. In August Rainier upper part can be bombproof ice sheet. Make sure to drink and sleep before climb. Start early and enjoy sunrise while climbing. It's spectacular!

We would like to see pictures. OK?

s2kfire

by s2kfire » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm

I have ski goggles and multitudes of gloves from snowboarding. I have grivel g12 crampons and la sportiva glacier boots. I also have a bd raven ice axe. I love gear!

Return to Gear