Morning Run (Bowel) Preparations

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
nartreb

by nartreb » Thu May 27, 2010 10:02 pm

A couple of these every morning

Yeah, but you have to find two who don't mind waking up early and get along with each other even when you leave to go running.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Thu May 27, 2010 11:28 pm

If you run down by the canal, you have numerous bathrooms available to you. (just saying)

****I've experienced similar problems, which is specifically WHY I run there.********

There is a bathroom at Fletcher's and numerous porta-potties at the different locks.

Good luck

Scott Wesemann

by Scott Wesemann » Thu May 27, 2010 11:42 pm

tigerlilly wrote:I'd go in the woods. problem solved.

Agreed. I carry a small plastic bag with wet wipes on every run/hike/climb. it's light and will definitely save yo ass! Pun intended. If you don't want to do your business in the bush, wake up a little early and run on a treadmill or elliptical and get things moving. That way you can take care of your bidness before you go.

Ze

by Ze » Fri May 28, 2010 12:54 am

Getting into a consistent BM cycle helps. Coffee definitely helps, however if you don't want the caffeine, getting hydrated alone will help pass a BM. Might be due to insoluble fiber absorbing water or something. When I wake up I drink a lot of water right away and 1 hr later I'll go to the bathroom and be ready to workout.

no avatar
ZethKinnett

by ZethKinnett » Fri May 28, 2010 6:50 am

Firstly, potato chips do the trick for me.

Secondly, if you're wearing three layers it's probably cold enough to dump and then come back to it a few minutes later and pick up the now frozen turd.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Sat May 29, 2010 12:53 am

The Dude wrote:
eferesen wrote:I would like to know what is the most efficient way to take a shit under such conditions? I had 3 layers on and all I was thinking about was the logistics.

a) Piss first
b) Spread the wag bag (Prevent the wag bag from flying away)
c) pull down the layers
d) evacuate the bowels
e) Wipe super fast
f) pull up pants/layers
g) hand soap
h) put back the gloves.

Obviously, your sequence would be correct (I don't really see any other way). I agree with peeing first, especially after exerting yourself for a long time. Nothing worse than squatting and getting the elephant trunk squirting all over the place.

In such conditions, I think its even more important to get on a schedule. As I get older, my body seems to want to get into a routine more and more. Bodily functions included. When I spend multiple nights out, the first thing I do in the morning is coffee and food. I even go so far as to boil water from my sleeping bag (if safely possible). As I pack up, clean up, get everything on (save the boots for last!), this uses valuable time in which to begin the wake n' wag process and usually my timing is pretty spot on. The more I think about it (and I havn't thought about it much), most of the guys I hike and climb with are kind of on the same schedule as well.

My father also told me (on a hiking trip actually) that he is taking fiber suppliments now and that has greatly reduced "peanut butter butt." Im not going to lie, the "cleaner" the dump, the more tolerable the process of woods pooping is...

Now that I've written this, it would appear that I think about my poops too much...

Elephant trunk in that cold weather. Who are you trying impress?

grunt

by grunt » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:14 am

I had the same problem when I was in the Army. I was able to re-time my bowels by using fiber supplements and water. Every morning I could have the aforementioned clean poop before heading off to physical training.

ARosenthal

by ARosenthal » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:05 am

You just have to eat something as soon as you wake up... I can attest to the "pushing out" of yesterdays meals shortly after ingesting something in the morning. Eat a small breakfast, then do some jumping jacks or similar exercise to get your body warmed up. You'll be pooping in no time.

rochonchis

by rochonchis » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:31 pm

bgriffs wrote:Try eating some instant oatmeal. One or two packets won't fill you up and you'll have a little more energy for your run. I find it rapidly initiates reliable peristalsis.

I agree with this. If I run in the morning my routine usually includes eating 1/2 to 3/4 cup oatmeal, a 16oz energy drink plus a cup of water while sitting down. After approximately 5-10 minutes I'm ready to use the bathroom. Works 9 out of 10 times. Good luck as I hate running with the trots.

ktnbs

by ktnbs » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:43 am

My goal is to execute bowel Dunkirk before leaving the house for the workout. I have a light breakfast, generally half a cup of stee-lcut oatmeal and strong coffee at least 45 minutes before....and provided my regular diet is fairly fibre strong, nature generally cooperates....and oh, aided, by popping a chew too! (smokeless tobacco).

Charles

by Charles » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:26 am

Tonka wrote:Do you drink coffee? It does have some laxitive type qualities.

I´d go with that too. And get up earlier so it has time to take effect.
All said and done, I had that "oh no" feeling a couple of weeks ago about 30 minutes into a run. If you´re x-country running take some paper hankies with you - better than poisen ivy at least. :wink:

Dave Dinnell

by Dave Dinnell » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:16 pm

ha, we used to call it DRP ....distance runners' puree :lol: when ya gotta go, ya gotta go

builttospill

by builttospill » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Despite years of running a lot and also having IBS or some other undiagnosed digestive issue, I never learned to get in the habit of carrying toilet paper with me. That says something about me as a person, and I'm not sure it's a good thing.

On the upside, I learned to improvise. Came back from quite a few runs with one sock. Better was when I tore pieces of my shirt off progressively from the bottom.....came back with about half a shirt left.

tigerlilly

by tigerlilly » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:07 am

A 7 year old I know, suffered for weeks last summer after accidently wiping with poison ivy.

It was pretty bad. I'd recommend learning what poison ivy looks like....

:shock:

Previous

Return to Technique and Training