Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Most climbed mountains in the world...

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby Day Hiker » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:08 am

Scott wrote:
I was told that Mt Fuji is number one and Mt Hood in Oregon is number two most climbed mountain in the world.

I was told that on Hood too, but it’s definitely not true.

Can't imagine it's even the most common in the Cascades.

Maybe Hood is the most-commonly climbed peak between 11200 and 11300 feet, in Oregon, north of US-26, featured in Kubrick movies from 1980.
Day Hiker

Postby pearson » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:37 am

billisfree wrote:to Deltaoperator17

Mt Hood is not likely the 2nd most climbed mountain. People can say anything they want.

I had heard that Fuji and hood were the most climbed permanently snow-covered mountains in the world. That might be correct.
pearson

Postby Scott » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56 pm

I had heard that Fuji and hood were the most climbed permanently snow-covered mountains in the world. That might be correct.

I have heard (even on SP) that Hood and Fuji are the most popular glaciated peaks, but Fuji has no glaciers. It doesn't have any permanent snow either.
Scott

Postby Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:02 pm

Scott wrote:

I have heard (even on SP) that Hood and Fuji are the most popular glaciated peaks, but Fuji has no glaciers. It doesn't have any permanent snow either.

True, I didn't have to step on snow at all in order to reach the highest point, there were a few snowy areas inside the crater (in August), though.
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Postby Deltaoperator17 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:
Scott wrote:

True, I didn't have to step on snow at all in order to reach the highest point, there were a few snowy areas inside the crater (in August), though.

So, how do we find out? the facts, not hearsay or opinion???
Deltaoperator17

Postby mrchad9 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:35 pm

Day Hiker wrote:Can't imagine it's even the most common in the Cascades.

Maybe Hood is the most-commonly climbed peak between 11200 and 11300 feet, in Oregon, north of US-26, featured in Kubrick movies from 1980.

Agreed!!!
mrchad9

Re: Most climbed mountains in the world...

Postby Buz Groshong » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:06 pm

Fletch wrote:This might fall into the "What Kinds of Questions Do Stupid People Ask?" thread, but im going to ask it anyway. As I sit in my office with my cup of coffee, I just remembered a thought I had last night. I immediately ran a search in the forum, googled it, etc... and found nothing. So here goes:

What are the most climbed mountains in the world (over 15,000 feet)? I had to separate the 14ers, and the Mt Fuji's and the Mt Washington's from the list, so it was really the easiest way.

My top five (off the top of my head):

1) Mont Blanc
2) Kilimanjaro
3) Aconcagua
4) Orizaba
5) Elbrus

??? I really don't know. What are your thoughts?

Damn! I was going to add it to that thread, but you've preempted my smart ass stunt! :lol:
Buz Groshong

Postby Scott » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:07 am

So, how do we find out? the facts, not hearsay or opinion???

Great question, but the fact is that Mount Hood doesn't see millions of ascents a year as do some of the sacred mountains in Buddhist or Hindu areas. If someone really does count 100,000 people on Mount Hood in a weekend, it may be a good contender.

I don't think any mountain that is climbed for recreation can compare with the ones done for religious pilgrimages in countries some of which measure their populations over a billion.

Most of the sacred mountains have people living in monasteries on the summits and all along the way. They often have souvenir stands every few hundred feet and food stalls every hundred feet as well.

Here are just some of the many mountains that fit in that category (which people actually walk up).

Summit of Tia Shan, China:

Trail to Tai Shan (9-15 miles round trip):

Summit of Adams Peak, Sri Lanka:

Waiting for the summit:

Arial photo of summit:

Trail to summit (3300-6000 feet elevation gain, so it's a fair hike):

Kyaikitio, Myanmar (5-16 miles round trip depending on route):

Popa Taung might be up there as well:

I’ve been to Hood on an early summer weekend. Yes it was crowded, but nothing like the above.

Of course none of those are over 15,000 feet, so don't really count in the original question. Probably the most crowded 15K+ foot peak I've personally climbed was Popocatépetl over Christmas 1992, but not many people climb it anymore. I've never climbed peaks like Blanc or Kilimanjaro (yet at least), but assume they are definately more crowded.

--
True, I didn't have to step on snow at all in order to reach the highest point, there were a few snowy areas inside the crater (in August), though

Even SP page on Hood erroneously indicates that Mount Fuji is glaciated. :?

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -hood.html

Mount Hood, located about 50 miles east of Portland, Oregon, is one of the most climbed glaciated peaks in North America (#2 in the world behind Japan's Fuji-san, according to some).
Scott

Postby Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:00 pm

Well, Mt. Fuji is a holy mountain too, and there are huts for every 150m/500ft. At every hut they can brand your special Mt. Fuji climbing stick (which you buy at the outset) with the height and name of the hut - we only had this done at the summit, since there was a line of people waiting. Every Friday night several busloads of Japanese drive from Tokyo to parking areas at the tree line to climb Mt. Fuji from there (still about 1500 m/5000 ft). There will at least be many hundreds, maybe a thousand or more in one day, but I guess the mountain is too high (3,776 m/12,388 ft) to attract the numbers the lower holy mountains do. Actually going from sea level to the summit in about 12 hours (including some hours of sleeping in one of the huts) made me feel slightly unwell.

My Japanese companions prayed in a Buddhist temple on the rim of the crater, and (strangely, I thought) asked me to do do it too. I declined, saying I was a Christian (not the time or place to discuss religion). But I did buy an amulet supposed to make Mt. Fuji protect my house, and indeed nothing ever happened to the various houses I have lived in!

Edit: I just saw in Wikipedia that Mt. Fuji is climbed by 200,000 people a year! Not bad.
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Postby Scott » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:50 pm

Edit: I just saw in Wikipedia that Mt. Fuji is climbed by 200,000 people a year! Not bad.

If interested, the same website and many other sources say that Tai Shan can recieve about 6 million a year, though not everyone walks to the summit (though a majority does).

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Mount_Tai

Several of the other sacred mountains recieve 1-2 million ascents per year.

Supposedly Adams Peak recieves up to 250,000 ascents per month.

http://sripada.org/nitzsche.htm

By way of comparison, most sources say Mount Hood only recieves 10,000 attempts per year.
Scott

Postby Ejnar Fjerdingstad » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Scott wrote:

If interested, the same website and many other sources say that Tai Shan can recieve about 6 million a year, though not everyone walks to the summit (though a majority does).

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Mount_Tai

Several of the other sacred mountains recieve 1-2 million ascents per year.

Supposedly Adams Peak recieves up to 250,000 ascents per month.

http://sripada.org/nitzsche.htm

By way of comparison, most sources say Mount Hood only recieves 10,000 attempts per year.

And how many reach the summit? Anyway, 10.000 is quite good for a glaciated mountain of that height, I guess.
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Postby OJ Loenneker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:14 am

Ejnar Fjerdingstad wrote:
Scott wrote:

And how many reach the summit? Anyway, 10.000 is quite good for a glaciated mountain of that height, I guess.

NAH, It's in reality the same 500 morons like myself that climb it six or seven times a year. :lol:
OJ Loenneker

Postby billisfree » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:04 am

For Scott to claim "most sources" say Mt. Hood gets 10,000 climbers per year.... it a highly unlikely figure.

During a "good" day they might get 100 climbers. Most days from May to June Mt. Hood might get 30-50 climbers on a weekend day. During mid-week, it's less.

During rest of year, with less than optimal conditions, they get far fewer.

I would think a ballbark estimate for Mt. Hood is 1000 to 3000 climbers a year.
Is this 10K number, that actual summiters or the number of attempts?
billisfree

PreviousNext

Return to General