Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Most elevation gain in the 48 States.

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: Most elevation gain in the 48 States.

Postby ExcitableBoy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:53 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:EB, how much elevation gain does Ptarmigan ridge have (approximately)?

'That depends. If you start at Mowich lake and approach via spray park, like 9,000 ft. However, by the time Mowich Lake road is opened (August some years) Ptarmigan Ridge will be very out of shape - essentially a vertical bowling alley. If you attempt it early season when you have a hope of good conditions you have to start at the gate at Paul Peak which adds a couple thousand feet and 5.5 miles. And you have to decide how to descend and most likely shuttle a car. If you approach via White River (allows an easy peasy descent down the Emmons, no car shutttle) you can figure on 12,000 ft + since you basically make the approach for Lib Ridge but from the 10k bivi on PR, you have to drop almost 1000 ft to start the route proper.

If you come this way to attempt PR, I'd be interested in going with you. I have a score to settle with that route :D
Last edited by ExcitableBoy on Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExcitableBoy

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Vitaliy M.

Postby ExcitableBoy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:58 pm

To the OP; Sunset Ridge on Rainier does not require glacier travel, but word on the street is it is not especially straight forward.
ExcitableBoy

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Clark_Griswold

Postby MoapaPk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Lionel wrote:In other words not the prominence it has from its nearest saddle, but over it's local terrain. Also, only by hiking, or requiring no specialized gear like crampons or an ice ax? I have and have used both of those, but some of the folks I would hike this potential mountain with, do not.

Folks, remember what Lionel wanted. Even with his caveats, he has to watch whether it would be wise to have microspikes and "specialized" equipment (like bread bags :) ) for San J.
MoapaPk

Postby pyerger » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Although not the most vertical out there, Pikes Peak gives you about 7000' of climbing, and is 8000' above Colorado Springs. It is a cruiser trail,all the way to the top, and you will have to share the trail with many other mountain climbers. Oh did I mention there is a road to the top?
pyerger

Postby lcarreau » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Perhaps a useful website when calculating elevation gain ..

http://www.cohp.org/records/elevation/elev_gain_lists.html
lcarreau

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
Baarb

Postby goldenhopper » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:45 pm

The “Cactus to Clouds” route up San Jacinto starts at the Desert Art Museum in Palm Springs @ 482’ to the summit of the San Jacinto @ 10,834’ in 35 miles round trip, all trail. Total elevation gain with a few ups and down is over 11K.

My guess is San Gorgonio is similar or maybe a little more...
goldenhopper

Postby Clark_Griswold » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:21 pm

Looks like I have my answer, Telescope from Shorty's is the most elevation one can gain on a dry hike in late summer/early fall at roughly 11,400 to 11,500'. In the 48 states, of course. Thanks for the input.
Clark_Griswold

Postby MoapaPk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Lionel wrote:Looks like I have my answer, Telescope from Shorty's is the most elevation one can gain on a dry hike in late summer/early fall at roughly 11,400 to 11,500'. In the 48 states, of course. Thanks for the input.

Unless you have a cool weather window, Oct is better than Sept. Typically you start around 3AM or so, and do the first 7 miles to H. Springs (3800+) before it gets too hot, tank up on water, and hit the ridge to the N. Try to plan for a waning gibbous moon at the start, so the moon will be overhead as you walk up the old road. (Beyond about 4 miles, the road doesn't often look like a road.)
MoapaPk

Postby Clark_Griswold » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:12 am

I noted your comment on the route page and there is a full moon on 9-30-2012. I was considering doing it right in that time frame. Late summer in terms of weather, not strictly by the calendar.
Clark_Griswold

Postby SuperChthonic » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:37 am

White Mountain Peak (14,246') West Ridge route with a 1-way distance of 7.69 miles with an elevation gain: 9,600 ft.....this is an actual route and I personally don't know of an established route in the 48 that has a bigger elevation gain. You can always create a route...say Death Vally to the top of Whitney 135 miles 1-way with an elevation gain of 14,787'
SuperChthonic

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:41 am

Lionel wrote:I noted your comment on the route page and there is a full moon on 9-30-2012. I was considering doing it right in that time frame. Late summer in terms of weather, not strictly by the calendar.

FULL moon is NOT good-- it sets behind the ridge (to the west) by early AM, and provides no light. You want a waning gibbous moon, so the transit time will be around the time you start. Alternatively, a waxing gibbous moon will provide light at the end of the day (if it isn't cloudy!).

But it isn't that important. You can do the road-hike by headlamp if you must.
MoapaPk

Postby Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:54 pm

When I climbed Success Cleaver on Mount Rainier (14,411 feet), the trailhead was at 2,800 feet.

This gives you true altitude gain from the base of the mountain to the summit of 11,611 feet.

You probably need an ice axe and campons, though.
Sierra Ledge Rat

Postby Princess Buttercup » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:09 pm

SuperChthonic wrote:White Mountain Peak (14,246') West Ridge route with a 1-way distance of 7.69 miles with an elevation gain: 9,600 ft.....this is an actual route and I personally don't know of an established route in the 48 that has a bigger elevation gain. You can always create a route...say Death Vally to the top of Whitney 135 miles 1-way with an elevation gain of 14,787'

+1 on the West Ridge, plus if you park down by the ranch you'll definitely gain over 10K for the day. Gorgeous views of the entire eastern Sierra all the way up, route finding is straight-forward, scrambling is not exposed or scary.

If in that September time frame, you can also park the cars at the Barcroft gate, avoiding the long walk back down, which is probably as long a setup as the Telescope shuttle. Plus you get a 14er out of the deal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics6 ... 599983903/

-L 8)
Princess Buttercup

Postby MoapaPk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:15 pm

MooseTracks wrote:
SuperChthonic wrote:White Mountain Peak (14,246') West Ridge route with a 1-way distance of 7.69 miles with an elevation gain: 9,600 ft.....this is an actual route and I personally don't know of an established route in the 48 that has a bigger elevation gain. You can always create a route...say Death Vally to the top of Whitney 135 miles 1-way with an elevation gain of 14,787'

+1 on the West Ridge, plus if you park down by the ranch you'll definitely gain over 10K for the day. Gorgeous views of the entire eastern Sierra all the way up, route finding is straight-forward, scrambling is not exposed or scary.

If in that September time frame, you can also park the cars at the Barcroft gate, avoiding the long walk back down, which is probably as long a setup as the Telescope shuttle. Plus you get a 14er out of the deal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics6 ... 599983903/

-L 8)

I'm guessing this might be a more temperature-friendly trip than Telescope in late summer as well, since you can start at 4000', and the day-night swing is like 30F in Owens Valley. And since you are starting on the west side of the mountain, a full (or slightly waning) moon should be more useful. The views on the Shorty's-to-Telescope trip are much less dramatic.
MoapaPk

Postby CSUMarmot » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:50 pm

Maybe not the biggest EVG but Pikes Peak has 7.5K and probably doesnt require any special equipment. More like a nice rounded hill
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris
CSUMarmot

PreviousNext

Return to General