Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Most remote areas in Sierra??

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Postby butitsadryheat » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:41 am

I've heard Table mountain has quite an underrated view as well. It's not more than a couple miles (maybe 4-5?)
butitsadryheat

Postby Bubba Suess » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:28 am

I routinely have great luck in the Carson-Iceberg and Emigrant Wilderness areas. Cherry Creek Canyon in particular has been utterly empty the times I have traveled it. Diggler is right on the northern areas too. Anyone ever been to Keddie Peak?
Bubba Suess

Postby The Chief » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 am

Michael Graupe wrote:Nice photo, Chief. But I would not consider this place very remote. :wink:

Odd... 16 miles in over a 12k pass and this is not remote?

Been here over 19 times in the past three years and have yet to see anyone on or near the North East bank/cove.

The only folks I have ever seen here (twice), were actually transiting through to the western side.

Do you know where this is btw?
The Chief

Postby Michael Graupe » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:21 pm

Of course I know where this is. I have climbed pretty much all the peaks in this area including the one in the photo. If you go over Cox Col it is only about 7 miles and it took me less than 4 hours to get there. I have been there many fewer times than you but found it to be a quite popular backpacking destination. Maybe this was coincidence.

Under my definition of remote I would think that this area (SE side of Mt. Goddard) fits the bill better.

If this landscape is a little too barren, here is another remote lake in an awesome area. I'll let you figure out where this is.

Michael Graupe

Postby Tom Kenney » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:29 am

Michael Graupe wrote:
If this landscape is a little too barren, here is another remote lake in an awesome area. I'll let you figure out where this is.

Hey...isn't that Mer... uh.. never mind. :P
Tom Kenney

Postby butitsadryheat » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:30 am

Looks like Humphreys off in the distance and Pilot Knob on the right.
butitsadryheat

Postby sierraman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:59 am

I have to agree with those who nominate Blue Canyon and the area around Tunemah Peak as the most remote and also least visited. Coincidentally, just this morning I spoke with Allan Clyde, operator of Clyde Pack Outfit, who runs packtrains in this area. He informed me that the Tehipite fire in 2008 cleared out the brush and blowdown which made the Blue Canyon trail difficult to follow. In addition, the USFS and USPS reworked the trail extensively this year to the point where he can take pack trains far up into Blue Canyon for the first time in a decade. So Blue Canyon is not as remote as it used to be.
As a close second, Kendrick Creek, upstream from Edyth Lake in northern Yosemite is remote, difficult to reach and lightly visited.
sierraman

Postby Bob Burd » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:28 am

Michael Graupe wrote:If this landscape is a little too barren, here is another remote lake in an awesome area. I'll let you figure out where this is.

Not so remote that it doesn't have its crowds. The guy in the back wasn't even in the same party. :D

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Postby The Chief » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:52 pm

Michael Graupe...
Of course you've been there. Therefore it is not a remote area. Only 10% or less of the population utilize Cox Col as an access to the area I posted. Most utilize the PC T/H. Via that route, 17-18 miles and most are "Passing through" doing a 2-3 week cirque nav.

Just cuz a very rare few have the ability to go screaming at lightning speeds to/through any area and spend less than half a day there and see someone, well. Spend some quality time, 2-3 days in any deep area, smell the "Shooting Stars", throw some flies and feel the goodness of it. Then you will have a better op to see how many few actually visit that area.

Another area to south east of the the pic I posted, which I will not post a photo of and is 18 miles in, is also an area that sees very few humans. It is accessible through the notch/col on the right of the pic below...
There are some bigass Golden's in the small lakes there as well.

BTW, The valley SE of Goddard in your Pic, holds five peaks that I took my "At Risk-Gangbanger" kids to on a regular basis out of Courtright via Hell for Sure Pass.
The Chief

Postby Dave Dinnell » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:17 pm

Some of the Sierra's most remote (feeling) areas are in the "Bogus Thunder Mountains" of the Northern Sierra and not the Southern Sierra. 8)
Dave Dinnell

Postby fatdad » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:23 pm

sierraman wrote: In addition, the USFS and USPS reworked the trail extensively this year to the point where he can take pack trains far up into Blue Canyon for the first time in a decade.

Yeah (heavy sarcasm).
fatdad

PreviousNext

Return to California