Mount Humphreys Arizona

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
surgent

by surgent » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 pm

McCannster wrote:We will be passing by Humphreys around May 10th-ish and we'd like to give it a go. I hear that this is pretty much the worst time to do Humphreys because of terrible winds. So, how bad is "terrible"? Like, miserable winds that won't stop making your drawstring on your hood hit you in the face, or blow you right off the mountain bad?

The winds can happen all times of the year. There are few foothills to break up the winds, and they funnel up the slopes unimpeded.

On two of my summit days (out of 6) the winds have been so strong that I partially crawled the last 100 or so feet to the top ... I'm 6-4, about 220 lbs. One guy had an anenometer that he said was reading 70 mph +.

The other times it's been very still. So it can vary. However, the worst of the winds are only at the very top.

In May it can be muddy. I hiked it in early June once and there was considerable mud where the snow was still on the ground, shaded by the forest. If you're okay with mud and possible wind at the top, you should be fine in May. May is usually very stable in AZ. No storms and the real heat hasn't settled in yet.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:42 pm

McCannster wrote:We will be passing by Humphreys around May 10th-ish and we'd like to give it a go. I hear that this is pretty much the worst time to do Humphreys because of terrible winds. So, how bad is "terrible"? Like, miserable winds that won't stop making your drawstring on your hood hit you in the face, or blow you right off the mountain bad?

At this point I've been up that mountain in every month except December (weird... no idea how that happened) and surgent is correct. You can't really count on one day being any worse than others. It's true that we had some godawful winds there in May a few years back, but I've also experienced them at other times of the year. One time on 5/29 there was almost no wind at all. Best advice would be just to come prepared in case it does suck up there, because it's hard to predict when it will or won't be going on....

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:36 pm

jhodlof wrote: It all depends on how this year's snowfall pans out. It is an el nino, and the snow has been decent so far, but not incredible.

Dude...

Are you kidding? We're getting dumped on this year!

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz., Feb. 24 (UPI) -- Flagstaff, Ariz., leads all U.S. cities with the most snowfall so far for 2010, in a season of sometimes epic snowfall in parts of the nation, authorities say.

To date there has been 118 inches, nearly 10 feet, of snow, surpassing the average amount of 109 for an entire winter, Flagstaff's Arizona Daily Sun reported Wednesday.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/02/ ... 267054049/

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:30 am

Some folks are slow to impress here on the Big SP!

When I see more than TWO INCHES of snow, that knocks my socks off ... and, you don't
want to know what that does as far as air pollution goes.

:lol:

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:58 am

jhodlof wrote:Also, in the above quote it says we are only 9 inches above normal.

No. We're 9 inches above normal for an entire winter. That means we're only 9 inches above normal if it doesn't snow for the rest of the winter.

Which is damned unlikely.

Especially considering that it's snowing now.

Look out your window.

...the good news is that this is a great year to climb the peaks, what with all the snow!

eferesen

by eferesen » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:17 pm

I am going snow camping this Friday (If I still have Friday of from work). Thinking about camping at some where above the lava chute. Near the plane wreckage site. Hopefully I can find a place to park my car.
Last edited by eferesen on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:15 am

jhodlof wrote:
Andinistaloco wrote:
jhodlof wrote:Also, in the above quote it says we are only 9 inches above normal.

No. We're 9 inches above normal for an entire winter. That means we're only 9 inches above normal if it doesn't snow for the rest of the winter.

Do I have spell out everything? Fine, I'll go back and make it say "9 inches above the July 1 to June 30 mean snow total", because the implied nature of the statement wasn't good enough for Walter. You miss PnP, don't you?

Calm down, dude. You correct folks, you get corrected. Try not to take it so personally. Have a beer or something.

P.S. And it's "Walt"...Jimmy. :wink:

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:48 pm

Any idea how long Snowbowl is going to stay open for? I haven't been up there for a week or so.

Let it snow, let it snow!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:57 pm

Woodzy wrote:Any idea how long Snowbowl is going to stay open for? I haven't been up there for a week or so.

Let it snow, let it snow!

I have a CLEAR view of the SF Peaks from Camp Verde!

It's completely overcast in Camp Verde, so that means it's usually snowing (heavily)
in Flagstaff !!!

:shock:

Alex Wood

by Alex Wood » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:48 pm

We have gotten at least five inches in the last few hours. It rained alot last night and then switched to snow around mid-night

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:30 pm

hopefully the weather will hold up for my attempt next Wed or Thursday

jhodlof, another question for you. Since the Dutchman takes you to the ridge above the saddle, if I wanted to hit Agassiz, afterwards should I hit straight down reaching the low point in the saddle or should I try to retrace my route coming up?

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:52 pm

jhodlof wrote:From the ski area website today:
Snow in the last 24 hours: 1-2"

Snow in the past 7 days: 10-20"

Settled snow depth: 62-100"

As you can clearly see, the drought continues unabated. Walt, when will we get some snow?

Hell, I don't know. I sure wish it would snow, though. I haven't even been up Fremont this year. :wink:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:51 am

jhodlof wrote:
As you can clearly see, the drought continues unabated. Walt, when will we get some snow?

So, you guys are arguing over the weather? ??

We have 'NADA CONTROL' over the weather. We must take what we get - kinda like a
card game where you have to play the cards you are dealt.

I reckon we WILL get more snow after it's all said and done.

So don't worry, be happy ... :)

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:05 am

Damn, I'd be happy if the weather abated for this weekend's hike near Las Vegas. Base of 76" at 8600', much more higher up, 184" at 8600' so far this year. Had a good consolidated base last Saturday, then got 17" of powder in 48 hours. I don't like powder on hardpack. More to come; ugh, hard to self-arrest.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:19 am

MoapaPk wrote:Damn, I'd be happy if the weather abated for this weekend's hike near Las Vegas. Base of 76" at 8600', much more higher up, 184" at 8600' so far this year. Had a good consolidated base last Saturday, then got 17" of powder in 48 hours. I don't like powder on hardpack. More to come; ugh, hard to self-arrest.

Last edited by lcarreau on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)