Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Mount Humphreys Arizona

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.

Re: Mount Humphreys Arizona

Postby Clark_Griswold » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:35 pm

Snowbowl Rd is closed, and it likely will be on weekends and after hours until the joke of a resort known as Snowbowl opens up for the season. BTW: it wasn't on either the Forest Service Website, or the Snowbowl Website, so don't expect to be able to find out without calling them.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/condit ... ml#flagctr
http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/winter/snow_report.php

If you want to know call, call, and call again, maybe one of them will bother to update their websites to tell people the road is closed. It is a good thing I checked, as someone was supposed to drive 300 miles to come here tomorrow to hike Humphrey.

FS: 928-527-3600

Snowbowl:(928) 779-1951
Clark_Griswold

Postby Day Hiker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:44 am

Gotta love a ski resort that closes every time there is fresh snow.
Day Hiker

Postby lcarreau » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:50 am

Right on, Papa Bear! Kinda makes a guy want to drive to Colorado!

lcarreau

Postby Clark_Griswold » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:52 am

I just wish they would let people know if they plan to close roads, especially one like Snowbowl Rd. Snowbowl updated their website to report the 9 to 14 inches they got, couldn't they have let us know the road was closed? The snow we have had isn't much, and the road is actually clear at the gate. I assume it isn't at higher levels, but who knows? I'm sure the people who were locked behind the gate on a Holiday are far more miffed than I am.
Clark_Griswold

Postby lcarreau » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:59 am

SUMMON the GATEKEEPER ...

lcarreau

Postby Clark_Griswold » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:02 pm

I hiked Humphrey yesterday and used the Summit Trail as the off-trail routes would have been nearly impossible to hike up. Going down off trail below the saddle towards Snowbowl was pretty tricky at times. The trail was covered in fairly shallow snow, but a snowshoe was necessary to summit. If the snow melts back a little, crampons or just a boot might be all you need. It would be nicer if the snow went the other way, though.
Clark_Griswold

Postby Clark_Griswold » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Just an FYI to folks who might be interested: I hiked Humphrey again on Friday the 3rd. I used the trail, again, and the off trail stuff is no where near in season. In fact, what snow did fall recently is melting fast due to warm temps and sunny conditions. A lot of what the ski area had has melted exposing grass and soil/rock underneath, especially in the sun. I used snowshoes on the 30th, but didn't need them at all on the 3rd. You might want crampons to make travel over ice easier, but you can get away with just boots. As of the 3rd, the ice was really just in the boot tracks from other hikers, and the crampons just made hiking faster and easier, but not safer and crampons are not required to use for safety. There are a few icy spots near the summit, but you can hike at the top of the ridge and avoid them. Above treeline the snow continued to melt and blow away. The forecast for the coming disturbance this weekend is mostly for wind and a cool down, so I don't think we'll get much more than light snow up there, at best. Then the forecast is for dry, warm, sunny conditions through to at least mid-December. You do the math.
Clark_Griswold

The following user would like to thank Clark_Griswold for this post
lcarreau

Postby Jow » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Mr Leghorn since it seems that you climb Humphrey's everyday perhaps you can assist me. I am planning a trip sometime next year to Sedona with my wife to utilize my in laws timeshare. I would like to climb Humphrey's while I'm there. Living in NY its nice to get out of cold when do you think the best time off year would be to maximize 1)pleasant Sedona weather 2) decent hiking weather on Humphrey's and 3) escaping less appealing weather in NYC. It seems May would be best but then I read that winds can be awful, what to do?
Jow

Postby Clark_Griswold » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Late September is the best bet for both Sedona and Humphrey, but if we have the predicted dry winter, then April and May can also be pretty good. June can be, too. However, expect a high probability of wind in spring.
Clark_Griswold

Postby Jow » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:06 pm

Since I'll be in Sedona for a week with no concrete plans other than having fun/relaxing if I do go in spring i may be able to pick and choose best day if there is way to check wind forecasts.

I haven't been to AZ in like 6 years so I'll be happy to back no matter what.
Jow

Postby Jessicaliner » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:02 am

Hi Jessica, I am also planning a trip to Mt. Humphreys and would like to get in contact. I am actually looking for someone to hike with, but either way I'd enjoy hearing about your planning and experience.
respectfully,
jessica l.
Jessicaliner

Postby Bark Eater » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Enjoyed Humphreys, Sedona, and a some of the rest of Arizona in August two summers ago. August was awesome for Humphreys, Flagstaff and the rim of the canyon but HOT for Sedona (105F). I agree with Mr. Leghorn about shooting for a cooler month to best enjoy both. Based upon my experience serious advice for summer climbs on Humphreys is to start as early as possible, even if there is no threat of storms. I left the Snowbowl parking lot at dawn on a Sunday morning and had the summit to myself on a beautiful clear morning. However, on my way back down there were well over 100 people heading up the trail the other way.
Bark Eater

Postby CClaude » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:59 pm

April, even with a fairly dry winter is probably iffy advise for someone planning a trip out-of-state. In dry years we tend to get the most snow in March (with 10-14" of snow possible/probable in town and more up on the mountain). If it ends up being a typical winter, expect it to hold significant snow in April, since we often ski into April). If you want dry conditions and decent weather in Sedona definately think about September.

PS: If you live in Flag, its easy to do, since I'll often ski up before work and get a ski run before work, conditions permitting.
CClaude

Postby Clark_Griswold » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:35 pm

It is true, that March has traditionally been a wet month for Flagstaff and the San Francisco Peaks, but for the last 4 years it has been a very dry month that followed very wet to really lousy winter months. April has set a record for dryness (2008). In fact, only March of 2006 has been above normal for precipitation, and none of the others have approached near normal levels. Now, 2005 had a dry March with a very wet February, April, and May, but that was also a very wet El Nino winter and this is a typically dry La Nina, and a strong one at that according to NOAA. Either way March as the normally wettest non-monsoon month has not been living up to it's reputation in the last 6 years. CC, when I made the recommendation for April or May, I should have written that if it was like 2007, which had virtually no snow at all on the Peaks and was boot hiking only by March, but that would be an exception for most years. September, I feel, is still the best bet, but it is too early to know what will happen on the Peaks in Arpil. Who knows, we might get a good amount of tail end snow from this pineapple express that is set to hit California and have good base for the next month and then lose it to warmth and sun in February and March. This is all speculation.
Clark_Griswold

Postby Princess Buttercup » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:43 am

I'll be passing thru Flag next week, was wondering if anyone has any current conditions reports. I will have skis (AT), not sure about timing yet, if anyone wants to play.

So anyone been up lately?
Princess Buttercup

PreviousNext

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)