Mount Rainier Climb

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Pheebs

Mount Rainier Climb

by Pheebs » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Fellow Climbers!
I have a few noob questions, that I was hoping to get some answers to. Last year I hiked the PCT, and the most enjoyable part was climbing the mountains. Ever since then , all I've wanted to do is climb more mountains. I love it. I want to get into more high alpine climbing, and the mountain closest to me would be Mount Rainier. So, I want to summit Mount Rainier, but I'm not sure the right way about doing it. Here comes the introductory climber part. I don't have the skill set to do it on my own, so of course the solution would be to start taking classes. However, even if I did gain the necessary skills to climb mountains like Rainier, I wouldn't be able to do it on my own. So, my question is, what about guided tours? Most guided tours teach you all that you need to know to climb mountains like that, and then you actually get to climb it with the expertise of professionals. Should I be doing something like a guided tour to start out with until I am comfortable with my skill set?
Thanks everyone!

ExcitableBoy

Re: Mount Rainier Climb

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:24 am

bird

by bird » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:25 pm

Yes, you should definitely go with a guide. I'd suggest American Alpine Institute. From my experience their climbs have more training than say RMI.

Bobber

by Bobber » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:24 pm

I just want to add that you need to make your reservations for the guided climbs about 6 months in advance. I will be in Seattle around Sept.1 and everything is booked except for one slot for one person next week. I might do the Olympics instead.

no avatar
kcurchin

by kcurchin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:19 pm

I have used IMG and RMI to climb Rainier..both out of Ashford, WA. Both are excellent..I have booked many international hikes with IMG too....first class outfit. Suggest you call and see what their schedule looks like...if sold out and because you live nearby..maybe you can get in on a cancellation. Both companies spend a day training what you need to know and can rent all or almost all equipment.

Make sure you are in great shape....no climb of Rainier is easy. They probably take beginner groups up into late September.

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)