since 15 years I live in Colombia. The security situation depends on the place you go and the way you travel:
- All cities you can consider secure; the danger to get victim of thieves I consider it the same in Colombia as in tourist places of Ecuador or Peru.
- Travelling by road is also ok (including to the snow mountains), do it at day light.
- Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta with Pico Colon and others: it is officially closed and I really recommend NOT to go, due to political violence, humanitarian crisis and the legitimate will of the indigenous people to protect their sacred places.
- Parque Nacional de los Nevados: in the central part of the country, with (too much) turistic development in the northern part (Ruiz) and attractive Nevados in the south (Isabel, Tolima): Yes, you can go their and climb one or two 5.000m peaks in 5 days. Recommended!
- Sierra Nevada del Cocuy: secure and the most beautiful mountain chain of Colombia, with glaciers, big walls and trails. Strongly recommended!
- Volcanoes going South: Huila, Purace, Galeras, Cumbal, Chile: Nevado del Huila is No-Go-Area, in the other parts security is so, so. Inform you locally about the situation.
So, welcome to Colombia and give your comments at www.nevados.org