Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Mountaineering movies

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby Buckaroo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:18 pm

Joe Simpson's new movie "The Beckoning Silence" partly a re-enactment of the Hinterstosser team's fatal attempt on the N face of the Eiger IS ON YOUTUBE!!

don't start it unless you have time to watch all the way through, it's gripping

ENJOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjJBu0xiwc
Buckaroo

Postby Luciano136 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Buckaroo wrote:Joe Simpson's new movie "The Beckoning Silence" partly a re-enactment of the Hinterstosser team's fatal attempt on the N face of the Eiger IS ON YOUTUBE!!

don't start it unless you have time to watch all the way through, it's gripping

ENJOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmjJBu0xiwc

Sweet, I didn't know he made it into a movie!! Hope it comes out on Blu-Ray. I read the book in May.
Luciano136

Postby Dragger » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:32 pm

HandjamMasterC wrote:Nordwand ( North Wall ) is an excellent movie - not only as a mountaineering / climbing movie, it's an excellent well made movie - period.

Agreed. I think it's the best mountaineering movie I've ever seen, although I liked Touching the Void, etc.

By the way, the German translation is "North Face" not "North Wall" (of the Eiger).

Dragger

Postby xDoogiex » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:09 pm

The Eiger Sanction by far

I also bought some movie called touch the top of the world for like 2.50. About the first blind guy to climb Everest. Played by the guy who was Jennifer love Hewitt's ex in can hardly wait and Bruce Campbell plays his dad
xDoogiex

Postby mvs » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:44 pm

Actually what's so hyperbolic about K2? I can think of the following things, but they are pretty mild:

1) The appearance of a rock climb in Squamish being below a big snow couloir (false).
2) The appearance of vertical water ice climbing on the flanks of K2 (I don't know, but I doubt this makes much sense).

There were no explosions or jumps across cliffs with ice tools. The accident scene was pretty realistic and believable.

K2 is actually a darn good movie, and I don't like seeing it lumped in with "Vertical Limit," a truly horrible film. Yes, it has a 1980s "cheese" factor, but the Eiger Sanction has a similar dollop of 1970s cheese.

Oh yeah, THE MOUNTAIN with Spencer Tracy, truly great. Nordwand was awesome too.
mvs

Postby Andinistaloco » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:25 pm

vancouver islander wrote:For an authentic movie about mountainering that doesn't involve superman-like antics a la "K2" that just gives the public the wrong idea of our sport, try "Five Days One Summer"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083947/.

I believe you're thinking of "vertical limit," which was atrocious. K2, although the acting or script wasn't always the best, was actually a pretty good mountaineering movie without too many obvious problems, and I can't think of any "superman-like antics."
Andinistaloco

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona, The Great Southwest, United States

Postby barrys » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:39 pm

Cliffhanger and Vertical Limit are the real cream of the crop for me. K2 wasn't terrible, but on my mountaineering movie scale of 1 to 10, where Touching the void and Nordwand are both score 10, Vertical Limit is off the bottom of the scale and Cliffhanger is a 2, K2 would be a 5, maybe a 4.

Nordwand and Touching the Void are by far the best to me. I've got a half dozen of the usual 'Everest' dvds out of which my favorite by far is 'The conquest of Everest'.....the original.

Last week on tv there was a docu called 'Passion Des Cimes' following Catherine Destivelle, it was really something. Here's a taster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwqNroSCOdA
barrys

Postby mvs » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:22 pm

barrys wrote:Cliffhanger and Vertical Limit are the real cream of the crop for me. K2 wasn't terrible, but on my mountaineering movie scale of 1 to 10, where Touching the void and Nordwand are both score 10, Vertical Limit is off the bottom of the scale and Cliffhanger is a 2, K2 would be a 5, maybe a 4.

As long as by "cream of the crop" you mean "bottom of the scale", I agree with your rating. That's all I'm sayin'...K2 does deserve a 5 anyway.

On second thought I would put Cliffhanger at 3...it does have some amazing Italian Dolomite scenery (which they try to pass off as "the Rockies" :lol: )
mvs

Postby dyusem » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:37 am

Moving Over Stone is one of my favorites that hasn't been mentioned:

http://www.movingoverstone.com/films-detail.php?id=4
dyusem

Postby Pablohoney » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:31 am

vancouver islander wrote:
Pablohoney wrote:Just watched a movie called Everest (2007) about the '82 Canadian expedition to everest with cameos from Jason Priestley and William Shatner...top notch......for a climbing movie with Jason Prisetley and William Shatner...not to miss.

This is perhaps the most embarrasingly awful movie about climbing ever made. I particularly enjoyed the sequence of the single yak carrying everyone's equipment up to base camp. It was loaded, if I remember, with 2 boxes. Now that's what I call light and fast. The rest was similar low-budget stuff since most of the money was spent in bringing Shatner in for his cameo in the pub in Kathmandu and anything left over went on paying his bar bill there.

HAHAHA, that's why you gotta watch the movie, you can't hate a climbing movie with William Shatner in it ... speaking of which... that is his second climbing movie...anyone remember the opening scene of one of the startrek movies where he's free soloing El Cap...top notch!!!
Pablohoney

Postby Pablohoney » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:44 am

A while back found "Cerro Torre: Schrei aus Steinwith" with Donald Sutherland in it in a movie shop in Europe, premise is a competition between an Alpinist and a Sport climber trying to be the first person to climb Cerro Torre, as with them all it was rediculous, but worth a watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102855/[/i]
Pablohoney

Postby xDoogiex » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:59 am

Damn I need to find K2 on DVD.
xDoogiex

Postby lost_in_nj » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:03 am

Chewbacca wrote:"E'Lollipop" - a kids movie from South Africa. It's filmed in Lesotho (Drakensberg range). Not a climbing movie, more an outdoors movie taking place in the mountains of my childhood. I guess it contributed to my interest in travelling to "mystical" mountain ranges far off the tourist track and also interacting on equal terms with the locals. Haven't seen it since I was 8-9 years old.

Weird...

I think I was probably even younger than you the last time I saw that movie. Even though I barely remember any details, I vividly remember the impact it made on me. Probably more so than just about any other movie I've seen in my life.

Edit: Just saw you can buy it on DVD now... might have to buy a copy just for the scenery.
lost_in_nj

Postby Jimmie » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:44 pm

lost_in_nj wrote:
Chewbacca wrote:"E'Lollipop" - a kids movie from South Africa. It's filmed in Lesotho (Drakensberg range). Not a climbing movie, more an outdoors movie taking place in the mountains of my childhood. I guess it contributed to my interest in travelling to "mystical" mountain ranges far off the tourist track and also interacting on equal terms with the locals. Haven't seen it since I was 8-9 years old.

Weird...

I think I was probably even younger than you the last time I saw that movie. Even though I barely remember any details, I vividly remember the impact it made on me. Probably more so than just about any other movie I've seen in my life.

Edit: Just saw you can buy it on DVD now... might have to buy a copy just for the scenery.

It's was probably the near perfect apartheid era movie. It indoctrinized white kids a longing for mountains and also that black kids could even not only be nice people but (god forbid) also close friends. :shock: It's kinda cool how the liberals through this movie got away with politically indoctrinating a whole generation of white kids during the worst of the apartheid era. :)

It's interesting how movies can be such an impact on kids. But with the wrong movies it could easily go the other way. Perhaps someone here on SP should make a list of propaganda movies to show to their kids at an early age to ensure they end up endorsing the outdoor lifestyle. :D
Jimmie

Re: Montaineering Movies

Postby RickF » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:50 am

Cy Kaicener wrote:The one I enjoyed the most was THE MOUNTAIN with Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner

+1

Vertical Limit, Cliffhanger, and The Eiger Sanction are entertaining but The Mountain is a real classic. No producer has been able to match quality of the story line or technical accuracy of The Mountain.
RickF

PreviousNext

Return to General