Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Mountaineering movies

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Postby don » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:44 am

I really enjoyed a movie titled "The Climb" . It's a Canadian film (1986) which features Bruce Greenwood as Herman Buhl in his climb of Nanga Parbat in 1953.

http://brucegreenwoodfans.com/mov-tv/climb/index.html
don

Postby mconnell » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:52 pm

SpiderSavage wrote:My fav: The Eiger Sanction, Clint Eastwood, 1975
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072926/

When I was a kid I was impressed by the climbing scene in James Bond: For Your Eyes Only. For years I thought prussicking should be done with shoe-lace sized cords. :oops:

I've climbed with a guide that used cords about that size (4mm) for prussiks. Grips really well on iced-up skinny ropes.
mconnell

Postby Pablohoney » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:12 am

Had to go find this with all the talk here lately, again William Shatner+Climbing=Great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlxzpWjM5Q8
Pablohoney

White Hell of Pitz Palu

Postby rmick25 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:51 am

White Hell of Pitz Palu. Silent movie from the 20's. Classic! One of the first mountain movies.
rmick25

Postby HandjamMasterC » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:24 pm

The Mountain is a real classic. No producer has been able to match quality of the story line or technical accuracy of The Mountain.

You are kidding, right? I love the scene where Spencer Tracy pulls Robert Wagner right up to him while Wagner is hanging on a rope. The only thing more " technically accurate " is Andre The Giant pulling himself and 3 other people straight up on a rope ( in Princess Bride )!! :lol:
HandjamMasterC

Postby Andinistaloco » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:34 pm

HandjamMasterC wrote:
The Mountain is a real classic. No producer has been able to match quality of the story line or technical accuracy of The Mountain.

You are kidding, right? I love the scene where Spencer Tracy pulls Robert Wagner right up to him while Wagner is hanging on a rope. The only thing more " technically accurate " is Andre The Giant pulling himself and 3 other people straight up on a rope ( in Princess Bride )!! :lol:

Ha!

Another good one was Eastwood giving George Kennedy a body belay from the top of the Totem Pole. :shock:
Andinistaloco

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona, The Great Southwest, United States

Postby woodsxc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:34 pm

HandjamMasterC wrote:

Gotta love Princess Bride.

Vizzini: He didn't fall!? Inconceivable!
Inigo: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
woodsxc

Postby hansw » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Speaking of the Eiger there are two films by Leo Dickinson from early 1980:

”Out of the Shadow into the Sun”. 50 min.

”Filming the Impossible”. 38 min. He also wrote a book with the same name.
This one includes a gripping scene where Cliff Phillips is losing his foothold and starts tumbeling down the second icefield.
hansw

Postby neoday » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:48 pm

if you haven't seen Higher Ambitions yet- you need to. No Hollywood antics but a great story and almost all climbing. One of my top if not top favorite movies.
neoday

Postby Luciano136 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:49 pm

neoday wrote:if you haven't seen Higher Ambitions yet- you need to. No Hollywood antics but a great story and almost all climbing. One of my top if not top favorite movies.

+ a million! My favorite together with Touching the Void.
Luciano136

Postby richebay » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:24 pm

My favorite would have to be Werner Herzogs "In the Dark Glow of the Mountains" about Messners traverse of the Gasherburn massif in alpine style. If you're a fan of film, you know Herzog is one of the greats and he really does this amazing feat justice with this documentary. I believe it is available on Netflix too.
richebay

Postby Flatlander2climb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:39 am

mvs wrote:There were no explosions or jumps across cliffs with ice tools. The accident scene was pretty realistic and believable.

K2 is actually a darn good movie, and I don't like seeing it lumped in with "Vertical Limit," a truly horrible film. Yes, it has a 1980s "cheese" factor, but the Eiger Sanction has a similar dollop of 1970s cheese.

haha yes Vertical Limit. I remember seeing that a few years ago before I got into climbing at all. I just watched a clip of it on youtube the other day and just in the one minute I saw I was fairly surprised that Ed Viesturs would agree to be in a movie that was so ridiculous. No criticism to him, but it kind of made me laugh knowing how serious he is about what he does.
Flatlander2climb

Postby RickF » Mon May 03, 2010 9:25 pm

jspeigl wrote:A while back there was this thread about a German movie Nordwand. Has anybody seen it yet in the US?

Nordwand is playing at some of the old revival theaters around Southern California. I saw it last Friday night at the Bayview Theater in Seal Beach. Even with the sub-titles and embellishing history with some cheesy love story, its a great climbing movie. It does a good job of showing how alpine climbing was done in 1936.
RickF

Postby dskoon » Mon May 03, 2010 9:29 pm

RickF wrote:
jspeigl wrote:A while back there was this thread about a German movie Nordwand. Has anybody seen it yet in the US?

Nordwand is playing at some of the old revival theaters around Southern California. I saw it last Friday night at the Bayview Theater in Seal Beach. Even with the sub-titles and embellishing history with some cheesy love story, its a great climbing movie. It does a good job of showing how alpine climbing was done in 1936.

Agreed! Good flick.
dskoon

Postby yaknjorgl » Mon May 03, 2010 10:52 pm

there's a great black and white of climbing EL CAP - maybe the 5 or 6 ascent - surreal helicopter footage of the king swing - a fall in the dark without headlamps and a great scene of a guy reaching a ledge and looking over, his buddy says "hey man why you getting so close not roped up" and the guy literally leaps for the rope he untied from
yaknjorgl

PreviousNext

Return to General