Mt. Johnson, Northwest Ridge

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
tbaranski

Mt. Johnson, Northwest Ridge

by tbaranski » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Hello,

I have an Eastern Sierra scrambling tour planned for the end of August. Trying to finalize my peak list and routes now. I just read the praise of Mt. Johnson's northwest ridge, and would love to add it to the agenda. But I'm anti-snow, so it sounds like the standard route via Treasure Col isn't an option. (Or might it be in a low-snow year like this?)

So I'm trying to ascertain if there's another way. The page seems to indicate that you can climb Mt. Gilbert first, and get to Johnson's NW ridge that way. But I'd like to have confirmation. And if I go this route, do I get the entire NW ridge scrambling experience? Or are you already a certain distance up the ridge by the time you get there?

Any input would be appreciated. :-)

mrchad9

Re: Mt. Johnson, Northwest Ridge

by mrchad9 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:58 pm

I haven't climbed that route up Johnson, but I went to Mount Gilbert via Treasure Col earlier this year. I think your plan would work, and avoid any snow. At the time Treasure Col was a nice snow climb, and I'd expect you could climb it from the other side and pick up the beginning of the route there instead.

Hell... you may even be able to scramble up the rocks on the left side of Treasure Col (taken June 9).

IMG_8529.JPG
Treasure Col
IMG_8529.JPG (547 KiB) Viewed 1113 times

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
tbaranski

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:17 am

I did the N ridge during a heavier snow year and the couloir's top half was already melted by July. Maybe this year by Aug it will be completely melted. That said, I heard that Col is kinda nasty when dry - really loose. The N ridge is a great scramble, though.

The following user would like to thank ExploreABitMore for this post
tbaranski

tbaranski

by tbaranski » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks folks. To make sure I'm properly oriented -- Treasure Col is immediately north of Johnson, right? If I come from Gilbert, it looks like I'd stay to the west of it up on the ridge. Mrchad -- just trying to make sure I understand what you mean by "climb the other side".

Thanks!

Return to California