Mt Shasta glaciers traverse, all of them at once

Find climbing partners in California
clmbr

Mt Shasta glaciers traverse, all of them at once

by clmbr » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:33 pm

I wonder if anyone here would be up to the traverse of all glaciers on Shasta at once.

My plan is to traverse from Sargents Ridge (or get down from Red Banks near Thumb Rock) to Konwakiton Glacier (I did this part a long time ago) and then cross Wintun, Hotlum, Bolam Glaciers and finally climb up Whitney Glacier to the plateau (north split) or to the base of Misery Hill (south split).

This traverse would be a great exercise in route finding but most importantly crevasse navigation and crossing (not avoiding). If you like a high adrenaline level in your blood, this may be it.

Perhaps I might attempt it alone if no one joins me but due to many hidden and obvious traps would not mind the extra security of a rope. (Sh... happens and I would feel more comfortable being securely roped while falling in a crevasse than taking a free fall. It’s easier to get out as well. :) )

clmbr

Re: Mt Shasta glaciers traverse, all of them at once

by clmbr » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Here is the map (thanks to Bubba) of my proposed All Glaciers route and camps. I estimated 4 nights as luxury climb but this may vary with conditions (weather, snow coverage, and climbers). I intentionally started at South Side of Shasta due to guaranteed road access to the trailhead but North Side may be even more convenient to start the climb (or with more cars any variation would be possible.).

"a" and "b" are route variations.

Return to US - California