Mt Shasta....I'm thinking of attempting..advice/

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
yosemiteforlife67

Mt Shasta....I'm thinking of attempting..advice/

by yosemiteforlife67 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Hello to all the climbers and hikers out there. I am thinking of trying for the summit of Mt Shasta, i would just like some advice for equpment , training and preparation for this climb. I have previouisly summited Mt Whitney, half dome, Mt Dana, Mt Ralston, Mt Tallac and Mt Freel. This climb I would think, will end up being my first real test of ability. My Mt whitney trip was actually a 5 day trip form shepherd pass to summit to portal. I have one ice axe, snowshoes and good waterproof boots, but i do not have any crampons. If anyone might be willing to give me advice on all of this, it would be greatly appreciated.

mrchad9

Re: Mt Shasta....I'm thinking of attempting..advice/

by mrchad9 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 pm

When do you want to climb it? July/August is probably easiest, but still not too difficult starting in May if you are used to snow camping and such.

You need crampons, and to know how to use the axe. Other than that not much too it. I have taken folks familiar with hiking and in decent shape who had never done anything like Shasta and they did great. Get some clothing to protect you from wind and ok to glissade back to camp and you are set. Don't need snowboots, just something crampon compatable and waterproof. You can practice someplace like Brokeoff Mountain in Lassen early spring to make sure you are ready.

mstender

Re: Mt Shasta....I'm thinking of attempting..advice/

by mstender » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:40 pm

I had a similar background or experience like you when I did Shasta in July of 2001. Read the following book: http://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Mt-Shasta-Route-Avalanche/dp/1888740051/ref=pd_sim_b_1
That gives you a pretty good idea what to expect. Get in shape, like go hiking or running or hit the stair master and maybe strengthen your core a little bit and you are good to go.

Return to California